The Last House on the Left

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I had the plot summary typed up here, but honestly, I think you'll get more enjoyment of the movie if you have NO idea what to expect. Thus, if you've not seen the original, and you'd like to check out an action/drama/thriller that isn't too bad or over the top, skip the rest of this review.

It's worth a rental.

6.5 out of 10.

Ok, now that they're gone...

All the previews seemed to play this up like it's a horror film, but it's not. This is simply a drama with some violence.

The bad guy from Ghost and Monica Potter (Nic Cage's wife in Con Air and still smoking hot) play the parents of Mari, played excellently by Sara Paxton.

In fact, let me point out that the two best performances were given by Sara and Spencer Treat Clark who plays Justin. I'm not slighting anyone else, but they were incredible. Actually, I do also want to mention Garret Dillahunt, who played the main bad guy. He was really good too.

Actually, the film was wall to wall good performances. I've got to give credit to the actors and director for that.

I've got a few small problems with the film:
-Compared to the original, the bad guys might as well have taken Mari (the daughter) to Chuck E. Cheese. In the first one, the criminals are fucking evil, and I could see any audience being whipped up and cheering for them to be tortured and killed. Not so much here. In fact, I'm not sure if there was some bullshit message being pushed on the audience here, but two of the four...well, let's just say they aren't played as completely evil.
-The bad girl is ridiculous. She's played very well, but I'm sorry, no 120 pound chick is as tough as she comes off. A 120 pound woman against a 6 foot something 200 plus pound man is no contest. Don't blame me or call me a misogynist, blame mother nature. I won't mention her other handicap in the fight which makes it even dumber.
-Something at the end of the film is stupid. I think mythbusters needs to check it out. Would it kill? Absolutely. Would it do it the way the film depicts? I highly doubt it.

Other than that, it's a decent film that won't go down as a classic, but it's not one you'll be disappointed in watching.

(Sorry if this review was chaotic, I was going back and forth between multiple things.)

Worth a rental, but probably more terrifying for parents.

6.5 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”