Penny-sized nuclear batteries

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8297934.stm
Researchers have demonstrated a penny-sized "nuclear battery" that produces energy from the decay of radioisotopes.

As radioactive substances decay, they release charged particles that when properly harvested can create an electrical current.

Nuclear batteries have been in use for military and aerospace applications, but are typically far larger.

The University of Missouri team says that the batteries hold a million times as much charge as standard batteries.

So what are the hurdles that will keep this from going to market in our cell phones and shit? I'm sure it will be governmental obstacles.

Edited By GORDON on 1255098377
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Fuck cell phones, put that in my car.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nuclear -> Three Mile Island -> meltdown -> ... -> bad

Something like that anyhow.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

GORDON wrote:So what are the hurdles that will keep this from going to market in our cell phones and shit? I'm sure it will be governmental obstacles.
The Energizer Bunny!
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:Fuck cell phones, put that in my car.
I want to see a nuclear car battery survive a 727 aircraft crashing into it before even I would feel safe having one under the hood.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
I want to see a nuclear car battery survive a 727 aircraft crashing into it before even I would feel safe having one under the hood.
Oh, and your cellphone could?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote:

My cellphone wont leave me sterile :-D

EVen a nuclear cellphone battery (the size of a penny)... you'd have to pretty much swallow it AND have the casing leak for it to hurt you. I assume a nuclear car battery is going to be a lot bigger, and I don't want one broken open and resting on my balls after an accident. I am willing to admit to being wrong on that size assumption.

Edited By GORDON on 1255128866
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But then again, a wet cell car battery leaking sulfuric acid on my balls after an accident is going to leave me sterile, too.

Hmmmm. Maybe my fears are overblown when I consider the kind of battery already in my car.

Edited By GORDON on 1255128952
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You want worry-free power? Get a horse. Oh, yeah. They still kick. You fuck w\ at least a dozen devices on a daily basis that could kill you outright given a few unpleasant coincidences.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Horses are a lot more worry...some... than a car. Disease, death, bad moods, and all for a 1-horsepower vehicle (ha).
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Obama will protect me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Overall, I am very excited about this leap in battery technology. It was a long time coming and is much needed.

They should sell it as a way to protect the environment... think of all the devices that will no longer need to be recharged on the electric grid every night. Less coal will be burned.

Edited By GORDON on 1255130272
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I want to see a nuclear car battery survive a 727 aircraft crashing into it before even I would feel safe having one under the hood.
My cellphone wont leave me sterile :-D

EVen a nuclear cellphone battery (the size of a penny)... you'd have to pretty much swallow it AND have the casing leak for it to hurt you. I assume a nuclear car battery is going to be a lot bigger, and I don't want one broken open and resting on my balls after an accident. I am willing to admit to being wrong on that size assumption.
K but make sure you don't put that cell phone in your pants pocket. :D