The Missing Link may have been found.

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124235632936122739.html

For those who don't know, it's always been theorized that there was a common ancestor between humans, chimps, and apes... we could just never find and prove it. This was the missing link.

Note to creationists: no scientist in the last 100 years has ever said that "humans came from monkeys."

Though, it is accurate to say that humans evolved from amoebas. What a mind-bender! Except not really if you paid attention in 9th grade biology class.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Heh... then they'll find out they pulled a brontosaurus and mixed the skeletons of a squirell and hedge hog.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

That's the price of archaeology, paleontology, anthropology, & other far-reaching sciences, you go back into the past that far, you've to start making allowances for various shyte.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

Malcolm wrote:That's the price of archaeology, paleontology, anthropology, & other far-reaching sciences, you go back into the past that far, you've to start making allowances for various shyte.
you forgot astrology lol
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was in mixed company recently (liberals) and mentioned I'd recently read an article stating ocean freighters burn so much fuel that it takes less than 100 of them to equal all of the fuel burned by cars in America every day, and there are thousands of ocean freighters operating, so it makes buying a hybrid vehicle that much more useless, as far as reducing your so-called CO2 footprint. I got a face full of "statisticians finesse numbers all they want to get the results they want." I didn't even go into it with them, they just got a "yeah, ok." I forgot to whom I was speaking and wanted to drop the subject. Obviously statisticians only ever "finesse numbers" to support the republican party line, not the other way around.

MUST...RESIST... HAVING...WORLD...IMAGE...CHALLENGED.......

But now that I'm actually thinking about it, how much oil do American cars burn through every day? Not just "how much oil does America use, total." Just in cars.

Edited By GORDON on 1242781451
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Some cursory Googling turns up numbers around the 8 millions barrels a day range. A number of the sources appear to be of dubious veracity.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Malcolm wrote:That's the price of archaeology, paleontology, anthropology, & other far-reaching sciences, you go back into the past that far, you've to start making allowances for various shyte.
True. And reading about how they just found venom glands in the mouths of the Kamodo Dragon after studying live ones for years has kind of made me realize that a lot of these "sciences" are more along the lines of "educated guesses".
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

If there ain't a theory about it, then yeah, science don't know about it. It might have a model that handles the behaviour, but it can't explain shyte. There's some things you just miss.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And science never PROVES anything, you just make theories that stand until they are disproven.

I wish science was forced on children better than it is now in the schools. Like math, even if you never use it later in life, it stills teaches you how to think logically.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:And science never PROVES anything, you just make theories that stand until they are disproven.
I blame most of that perception on the scientists we end up seeing on TV (the attention whores).

Most of the ones that get the most press are the ones with agendas. And to further their agendas they'll present their ideas as proven undeniable science (Al Gore anyone?)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Special on the Hitler channel going on as we speak.