New Digital Camera

Paul

Post by Paul »

I have a new digital camera.
My old digital camera is a Sony Mavica FD-83. It is now my wife's camera. It uses floppy disks, so when I went on vacation I had to lug a bunch of floppies around. (I'd have to carry around over 177 floppies to have the storage I have in the camera now.) And the camera is huge, and wreighs a ton.

When I showed my wife the new camera, I put in on my palm, turned my hands over, and had her guess which had the camera was in. She guessed wrong. The camera is tiny, about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

To figure out what camera I wanted, I went here and filled out the features I wanted in a camera. I basically chose:
Price (street) = $600
Sensor photo detectors = 5 million (Megapixels)
Movie Clips = Yes
Manual focus = Yes
Aperture priority = Yes
Shutter priority = Yes
Time-lapse recording = Yes
Viewfinder = Optical (to conserve battery life)
USB = Yes

My new camera is a Pentax Optio SV. It cost $350, which is a lot cheaper than my old Sony.

Camera specs:
5 megapixels
Aluminum alloy body that weighs only 5.3 oz. (not plastic!)
5x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom, for a total of 20x. (I never use digital zoom)
Shutter speed from 10 seconds to 1/2000 of a second.
320x240 video @ 30fps w/audio (I think it records until memory runs out)
Functions as a voice recorder (I think it records until memory runs out)
Can attach 30 second voice memos to photos.

It's also got some funky stuff. The manual has settings for 3D images (basically helps you take two pictures, slightly offset to combine with 3D software), landscapes (to combine pictures side by side afterwards, with software), etc.

I'm really happy with the picture quality. I found out this morning that I can take clean photos of what's on the televison (no black bars from the TV's refresh rate).
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Don't lose it in the woods.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was waiting for that comment. :)

I had actually been thinking about doing something similiar to that website (before I saw that site). This was my plan:

Various photos of redneck dwelling places, as if the photographer is collecting photos of ugly dwellings. Photos would include trailer homes and decrepit houses with junked cars and Christmas lights in August. The uglier the better.

Then one photo shows a fat redneck peering through the window at the camera.
In the next picture he's on the porch yelling.
In the next he's running at the camera.
In the next the camera is blurry and running away.
Ditto with the next.
In the next there's a tussle (lots of motions blur, maybe a hand).

I'm not sure if it should end in merciful murder, or someone squealing like a pig.