More Marvel Movies

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Incredible Hulk hits this July and has a cameo by Robert Downy Jr. as Tony Stark.

2009 - Nothing

2010 - Iron Man 2 in May and Thor in July.

2011 - Captain America in May and The Avengers in July.

Whatever happened to DC movies?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Let's see: Superman and Batman. Who else is famous?

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Hawkman...

Honestly, I don't know what the deal is. I think sometime in the '70s or '80s DC got the image of being "campy," whereas Marvel had more of a street-cred. At least that was my perception. Or maybe it's just that Avi Arad is better at exploiting Marvel's properties than...whoever is the boss at DC.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Birdman kicks ass.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Speaking of Marvel, here comes Orson Scott Card. They already have Stephen King adapting The Dark Tower series.

With that said, I was going to point out that nobody should discount what Joe Quesada is doing at Marvel right now, or at least, what's being done under his leadership. Behind him, they've gone from bankruptcy to market domination.

I think Marvel taking control of their own films was brilliant. Meanwhile, DC gives control of it's properties to Hollywood and watch as the "brain trust" in Hollywood decides to cast Jack Black as the Green Lantern and turn it into a comedy.

Yeah, that's what people want to see. Ignore the constant $100 million+ openings that the Marvel movies are doing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Meanwhile, DC gives control of it's properties to Hollywood and watch as the "brain trust" in Hollywood decides to cast Jack Black as the Green Lantern and turn it into a comedy.
Man, I'm hoping against all hope that won't happen. The superhero with the coolest and most powerful weapon of all time. Jack fucking Black.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:Speaking of Marvel, here comes Orson Scott Card.
I have no faith that the movie will get it right.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote:Speaking of Marvel, here comes Orson Scott Card.
I have no faith that the movie will get it right.
I guarantee you're right because it's a comic, not a movie. :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh. But I'm sure there's an Ender movie speculation thread somewhere in this forum. I thought they were finally moving forward.

Do you think the comic will show the 8 year old boy brutally killing 2 kids (granted, in self defense), moments which completely define his character, in the comic?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Oh. But I'm sure there's an Ender movie speculation thread somewhere in this forum. I thought they were finally moving forward.

Do you think the comic will show the 8 year old boy brutally killing 2 kids (granted, in self defense), moments which completely define his character, in the comic?

Why wouldn't it?

I would honestly say that comics are the most adult medium going today. Really. Yes, there are titles geared towards kids, but Marvel and independents, in particular, have lines of titles made specifically for adult audiences.

Name a theme and comics are doing it today:
-Incest (yep)
-Rape (yep)
-Murder (yep)
-Torture and mutilation (yep)
-Cutting up a super hero's girlfriend and stuffing her pieces in his fridge (yep)

There is some brutal shit going on in comics and occurring in storylines that would lose most Hollywood audiences.

Don't get stuck on the word "comics", instead think of them as "graphic novels", it might help you get past any pre-judgments you may have about the genre.

Of course, you should know all about this type of thinking because you play video games, and we all know only kids play video games...