2024 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:42 pm I have no recollection of D's changing their minds about the popular vote though.
I do, but I'll happy say I "misremembered". That minor thing doesn't negate anything else I said, including the wishy washy, ever shifting positions of our elected officials.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Lots of peeps think gerrymandering was invented by republicans, is illegal, and only republicans do it.

Dems could fix it any time they had a majority, you know.

If they wanted to.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:15 pm Lots of peeps think gerrymandering was invented by republicans, is illegal, and only republicans do it.

If they wanted to.
Gerrymandering is state by state, iirc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 pm
GORDON wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:15 pm Lots of peeps think gerrymandering was invented by republicans, is illegal, and only republicans do it.

If they wanted to.
Gerrymandering is state by state, iirc.
*gestures at NC and nods*
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Democrats could fix it if they wanted to.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:08 pm Democrats could fix it if they wanted to.
Not at the federal level, according to the Supreme Court, whose last guidance on this was 2019.
Rucho v. Common Cause and Lamone v. Benisek were decided on June 27, 2019, which, in the 5–4 decision, determined that judging partisan gerrymandering cases is outside of the remit of the federal court system due to the political questions involved. The majority opinion stated that extreme partisan gerrymandering is still unconstitutional, but it is up to Congress and state legislative bodies to find ways to restrict that, such as through the use of independent redistricting commissions.[46][47]
Not sure how the disenfranchised party of a gerrymandered state is even supposed to fix it. Historically never, in NC.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:08 pm Democrats could fix it if they wanted to.
Definitely not in NC.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 pm Not sure how the disenfranchised party of a gerrymandered state is even supposed to fix it.
I don't think they can, which is what makes my 7 points about what Ds are doing so concerning.

Once the system has been rigged so you cannot win, there's only one option left.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

As of today, April 8th, I'm pretty sure I'm writing in Fetterman.

I just don't see anyone else worth voting for.

I've never done the write in process and I want to see what it's all about.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he would not sign a federal abortion ban if one reached his desk were he to be elected in November.

It’s Trump’s firmest response to date on a national abortion ban. He has simultaneously claimed credit for appointing the Supreme Court justices who helped overturn Roe v. Wade while distancing himself from some of the stricter efforts by Republicans across the country to limit the procedure, and on Monday, he called for the issue to be decided by the states.

“Would you sign a national abortion ban if Congress sent it to your desk?” Trump was asked by a reporter in Atlanta on Wednesday.

“No,” Trump said, shaking his head.

“You wouldn’t sign it?” the reporter asked.

“No,” Trump said again.

Earlier Wednesday, Trump distanced himself from a controversial decision handed down by Arizona’s state Supreme Court that said the state must adhere to a 160-year-old law barring all abortions except in cases when “it is necessary to save” a pregnant person’s life. The ruling stems from a case that was revived after the US Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade in June 2022.

“Yeah, they did,” Trump said in Atlanta when asked if Arizona went “too far” with the decision. “That’ll be straightened out, and I’m sure the governor and everyone else are going to bring it back into reason and that will be taken care of, I think, very quickly.”
Trump stepping back from losing abortion policy. At least, for now.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:45 pm
Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he would not sign a federal abortion ban if one reached his desk were he to be elected in November.

It’s Trump’s firmest response to date on a national abortion ban. He has simultaneously claimed credit for appointing the Supreme Court justices who helped overturn Roe v. Wade while distancing himself from some of the stricter efforts by Republicans across the country to limit the procedure, and on Monday, he called for the issue to be decided by the states.

“Would you sign a national abortion ban if Congress sent it to your desk?” Trump was asked by a reporter in Atlanta on Wednesday.

“No,” Trump said, shaking his head.

“You wouldn’t sign it?” the reporter asked.

“No,” Trump said again.

Earlier Wednesday, Trump distanced himself from a controversial decision handed down by Arizona’s state Supreme Court that said the state must adhere to a 160-year-old law barring all abortions except in cases when “it is necessary to save” a pregnant person’s life. The ruling stems from a case that was revived after the US Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade in June 2022.

“Yeah, they did,” Trump said in Atlanta when asked if Arizona went “too far” with the decision. “That’ll be straightened out, and I’m sure the governor and everyone else are going to bring it back into reason and that will be taken care of, I think, very quickly.”
Trump stepping back from losing abortion policy. At least, for now.
I would be embarrassed to say things like that out loud.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:45 pm Trump stepping back from losing abortion policy.
I posted this story on the 8th in the Trump thread. Or did something change with it?
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 pm I would be embarrassed to say things like that out loud.
I think it's amazing how they're using woke language in an anti-abortion law.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"It's just socialized education, but with extra steps."

Which I'm not entirely against.

But I can see there's nuances to it, and arguments to be made.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:34 am I posted this story on the 8th in the Trump thread. Or did something change with it?
First time he's said he wouldn't sign a national abortion ban, versus the "up to the states" h said the other day. Just clarifying his position.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

murder not so hot any more.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've been seeing a lot of strories about homicides are way up, but the FBI made it weird how they want to collect the data and the big cities just can't be bothered to report it correctly any more.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I think suicides and overdoses are both up, which may explain why some people feel that way. As far as I know, violent murder rates are down.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

FBI implemented changes in reporting to ensure consistency, as various crime districts were reporting data in non-uniform ways (definitions of crimes, etc). some places had delays implementing the reporting standards. that largely seems to be an issues of the past.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:10 pm I've been seeing a lot of strories about homicides are way up, but the FBI made it weird how they want to collect the data and the big cities just can't be bothered to report it correctly any more.
Correct. The FBI crime numbers that released a few weeks back and people really promoted only had like 40% of all cities reporting. So they were complete bullshit. Additionally, because of certain major cities not prosecuting a lot of crimes, their numbers dropped significantly.

However, those numbers would be different from murder, which almost always gets reported and prosecuted.

Also, as the tweet points out, this is down from our pandemic highs. The pandemic caused a lot of crazy behavior.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So when I write in Fetterman for president on election day, do I need his full name? Social security number? How detailed so they can be sure to count the one I mean?