The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS to rule on how the DOJ got convictions on many Jan 6th rioters.

Again, CNN calls them rioters throughout the article. I wonder why they changed their tone and definition of these people?

SCOTUS also may scale back power of federal agencies.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Article about a small firm getting a good share of SCOTUS cases and their unique approach to them.

Interesting read, but posting because of this:
At issue Tuesday is a Federal Reserve rule adopted in 2011 that caps debit card fees for merchants at 21 cents per transaction plus a .05% fee on the value of the purchase. Several merchant groups sued in 2021, claiming the cap was too high and that the government set it arbitrarily in violation of federal administrative law.

Seeking the case’s dismissal, the government cited a six-year statute of limitations it said barred the lawsuit. In response, the plaintiffs added the truck stop, Corner Post, which didn’t open its doors until 2018.

Bryan Weir, in his debut appearance at the Supreme Court, will argue the clock starts on the statute of limitations when a plaintiff – in this case, the truck stop – is affected. The Biden administration will counter that the clock starts when the rule goes into effect.

Two lower federal courts sided with the government. The 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals noted that Corner Post “waited more than three years to file this lawsuit.”
Notice the government makes no argument about the merits of the case. They are simply saying, "You waited too long, so fuck you. We got away with it."

Why wouldn't this be something that, a government that works for its people, can examine at any point and see if it's harming its citizens and/or businesses?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS to rule on Biden's "Good Neighbor" policy.

I don't have an opinion on who's right or wrong here. I've always understood both side of environmental debates: "Don't pollute vs Don't destroy the economy saving the world".

However, I think government needs to take a different approach to environmental stuff. Offer incentives to cut emissions to certain levels and offer financial and technical assistance if needed/requested. Even offer incentives for companies to only do business with other companies that have met whatever standard you're pushing?

The current method of passing a strict law only to then have corporations fight it in court seems like a waste of time and money.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Iirc, it was already determined with school newspapers that children didn't have 1A rights.

That being said, Facebook isn't going to want children off, because that's less ad revenue.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Feds are moving to stop "judge shopping".

What took them so long to figure out this was a problem?

Somehow I suspect corporations will still find friendly judges...
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Will review ghost gun regulations

I believe I'm with the government on this one. I'm all for people owning whatever they want, but there's no legit reason to not have serial numbers on these things.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

When the Russians land in Kansas they'll be able to go to the local courthouse and know which people have guns tho.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."