More multi gaming talk

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:04 am If you can memorize the key combos, you can tell many units to do complex things very quickly.
I just suck at the micromanagement stuff.

Just leave me be and I'll be turtling.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Troy »

Played a few games last night, some thoughts:

Units are still being balanced, there are notes about an Aircraft Carrier but I couldn't find it, I think they replaced it with the "Sea Plane" stationary factory which is built on top of the ocean. SeaPlanes are durable planes meant for dealing with anti-air ships and weapons. They can land on the floor of the ocean.

Playing the "Scenarios" the first scenario was easy, the second scenario I actually lost the first game, the enemy rushed subs and my dumbass couldn't even see them and I would have been way behind by the time I stabilized.

Did better in the next game on the ocean map. The AI eventually escalated to Nukes and big Experimental bots but I had 80% map control and all the sea power, a bunch of the top tier Flagships and supporting ships even after a few untimely nukes to my forward factories.

Control wise there is a BUNCH of rad new things, here's a few:

Repair (R) and Harvest (E) can be used by holding the left mouse click to create giant circles. Your units will repair or harvest everything in the circle. Great add.

Formations - you can hold right click with units selected and trace a line of a formation in little green dots, so cool. You can also use the attack move command (now F - for FIGHT) in a similar way, holding the right mouse button and dragging around will make your units assault abreast instead of single file, which is obviously much better. There are a lot of things like that.
Troy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Troy »

Anyone want to play Friday after work? Beat up some A.I.s and check out some of the maps.
Cakedaddy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm game. I can confidently beat up the simple AI now, so, that's where I'm at.

That being said, at about 20 minutes, I could probably end the game. But I let it drag out another hour testing the load on my economy. How quickly it can scale up, etc.

Something I noticed, and is cool: The little buildings that help you build stuff, they are set to 'low priority' by default. So you can over build them, and they will shut down if you don't have enough resources. So if I want to put everything I have into building a big gun quickly, or something, I put my build units on it and the helper buildings will scale down their use of resources, all the way to zero if needed. You don't have to keep turning them on and off to manage resource use fluctuations.

What I want to do, but haven't figure out (by guessing) is to set the units coming out of a building to randomly patrol an area. You can draw a circle and units will harvest scrap in that circle. I want to draw a circle and have units patrol that circle.

You share resources with allies by clicking and dragging on their resource bar.
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

I believe I will be free Friday evening.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

More multi gaming talk

Post by Stranger »

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been checking these forums lately with how shitty work has been for me. Anyways, i read some of the threads and see you're all looking at playing BAR. Admittedly all my game time has been WoW for the last few months but i wouldn't mind trying out some other things with the boys. Not sure what my wife and i are going to be doing tonight but if i'm free ill hope in with you all. How large of a DL is this game?
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

I'm having trouble finding an actual size. I know the installer is a bit over 200MB.

When I DLed it the other night I don't think it took long at all. The only hint of a size I'm seeing is you need 4GB of disk space free. Although the devs recommend having more (up to 20GB) free for when the game is actually running.
Stranger

More multi gaming talk

Post by Stranger »

aye, cool. just wanted to know if it was a big old 100+ gigger like most games of today seem to be.

Are you guys planning on playing this tonight?
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

That seems to be the plan. You'd make four (Me, Cake, Troy).

No word from Gordo or Catt.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by TheCatt »

I'm out tonight, got plans.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Stranger

More multi gaming talk

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:13 am That seems to be the plan. You'd make four (Me, Cake, Troy).

No word from Gordo or Catt.
ok, still gotta figure out what Deb and I are doing tonight. If nothing, i'll be on to try it out.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Troy »

Sweet - I'm in tonight. Can start 4-5 pst maybe earlier.

Some starter tips:
  • The best starting build I've tried so far is 2 metal extractors, 2 power structures, bot factory, level 1 bot builder, go from there
  • Like Cake was saying construction turrets are the shit, their range is very OP, a factory and 3-4 turrets is pumping units and can help the entire area grow fast
  • Never stop building power buildings with one of your builders, windmills, wave engines, solar, etc. Even when you get Level 2 Fusion reactors - those things are bombs and can cause their own issues.
Troy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Troy »

New active discord link

https://discord.gg/5cQMDuhk
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

I am so going to get stomped, per usual.

I suck at micromanagement simulators. :D
Cakedaddy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Cakedaddy »

I can keep up with the micro management of everything, right up until i send a mass of units off to do something. Then I get caught up in watching my units do there thing. When it's over, I realize everything I've been ignoring is out of hand.
Troy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:29 pm I can keep up with the micro management of everything, right up until i send a mass of units off to do something. Then I get caught up in watching my units do there thing. When it's over, I realize everything I've been ignoring is out of hand.
Same, but I feel like we kind of have to do that to learn, I've read all the unit cards for the factions but I still have no idea how they do up against each other.

Cool units:
Blue faction basic infantry bot and his little machine gun
Red faction extractors with weapons on them
Red faction circular revolving artillery (feels like a t3 at t2)
Paralyzer drones
Blue faction Experimental Super Tank (just b/c I'm jealous red doesn't get one)
Cakedaddy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Cakedaddy »

I read that if you like to turtle, Core is what you want to play. If you like to strike early, Armada. But I don't see the difference yet. Seems like core hits hard at the beginning. They sent one T1 tank once, and I had to stop it with my commander. He took out about 25 early units and 5 power/extractors. My T1 units did nothing to him.
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

Just got back from Detroit. Unexpected trip. Found my headset dead. Charging it now while eating dinner.
Cakedaddy

More multi gaming talk

Post by Cakedaddy »

Hold Q down to draw on map with left mouse. Hold Q and erase with right mouse.
Hold Q and middle mouse button to ping.
F3 sends units to last ping location.
You can set units to roam freely, but I don't see any option to limit where they roam. Select the units, and it's one of the buttons in the lower left of screen.

There are a TON more shortcut commands, but for me, adding more to the list means I won't remember any of them!

The original factions in TA were Core and Arm.
Leisher
Site Admin

More multi gaming talk

Post by Leisher »

I really enjoyed the game and look forward to more. I hope Catt and Gordo can join us. I think with all 6 of us we might have lasted another 3 minutes in that last game.