The Federal Legislative Branch

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I understand that congressmen are under scrutiny for their stock trades.

Does anyone watch the stock accounts of their adult children?

Was just pondering and expanding on my theory that officials could take bribes to their children to hide the fact they're taking bribes *cough Ukranian Gas Board of Directors cough* They could also tell their kid the morning of a vote that was going to affect some industry.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:00 pm They could also tell their kid the morning of a vote that was going to affect some industry.
This is....
Simply put, insider trading is illegal. But, if you are a member of Congress, there is a loophole. Members of Congress and their families are allowed to trade stocks with almost no limitations. There isn’t a limit on lawmakers trading stocks based on classified information nor is there oversight regarding the trades that lawmakers are allowed to make based on other information they are privy to as part of their job. This is in glaring contrast to the strict insider trading laws that ban the same kind of behavior of everyone else in the county.

Companies also are well aware of this loophole and even give Congress members special access to IPO stocks prior to their being made available to the general public. One example of this kind of access being offered to lawmakers was seen in 2008 when Visa offered Nancy Pelosi early IPO stock access at the very time that legislation that Visa opposed was being brought to the House floor. In two days, Nancy Pelosi and her husband made over $100,000 in Visa stock alone and the legislation in question was never allowed on the House floor for a vote.

In April of 2012, Congress passed the STOCK Act, a policy that on its face would address the problem and curtail the type of insider trading that lawmakers have been able to profit off of. But the STOCK Act has effectively been gutted in the ensuing years following its adoption. One key portion of the STOCK Act that has been neutralized is the disclosure provision. This change removed the accessibility and transparency of the original version of the Act that made these trades by lawmakers readily available for the public to see.

Ossoff’s proposed ethics bill would make it illegal for lawmakers and their families to trade stocks while in office. Unsurprisingly, Ossoff has yet to find a Republican senator to co-sponsor his bill
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What biased source is that quote from? That last sentence is hilariously bigoted.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If you're caught lying this badly, you should be forced to resign or to go to jail.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:46 pm If you're caught lying this badly, you should be forced to resign or to go to jail.
Isn't that what happened to Santos?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:59 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:46 pm If you're caught lying this badly, you should be forced to resign or to go to jail.
He did actual crimes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:59 pm
He did actual crimes.
I don't think he's been convicted yet(?), but I hear you.

I think it should be a crime for a politician to knowingly lie to an American citizen.
Caveats:
-The lie must come during an official act of office or during an attempt to get elected. If a Senator is at a bar after hours and pulls a Brian Williams to impress a chick to get her panties off, that's not a crime.
-A politician may lie only when lying must be done for national security and "No comment" is not an option. For example: "I am not aware of any meeting to authorize air strikes against [insert country here]." That is a legal lie.

If you don't want to go as far as a crime, then yes, forced resignation and unable to hold any office in the future.