Being a parent

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

Since the divorce I took my kid on at least 2 adventure vacations per year. My version of a "Live, Laugh, Love" sign in the living room says "Be Bold," and there's pictures of our adventures all around it.

I always drilling into him, "There are no problems, only opportunities for creative problem solving." I actually got us into a few dire situations over the years that we kept our heads for, and figured shit out.

Yesterday my barely-18-year old few across the world on his own, and is currently asleep in Thailand.

We'll see if he can keep from getting mugged in southeast asia over the next couple weeks, but good job so far.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:14 pm Yesterday my barely-18-year old few across the world on his own, and is currently asleep in Thailand.
That probably makes the ass pounding easier to take.

I mean, congrats!

Yeah, our HS junior is looking at a 3 week summer program in London. Trying to help teach some independence + skills.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

That's very cool. I wish him safe travels.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:14 pm Yesterday my barely-18-year old few across the world on his own, and is currently asleep in Thailand.
So is this part of a school thing, or just a "I'm backpacking through Thailand on my own" thing?
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

On his own.

well, my sister lives there, and showed him the ropes for a day... but in the morning he's getting on a bus to a different city. He wanted to spend a little money of his award money on travel and got round trip tickets for under $1k. He did that all on his own, too. The cost of this trip will be less than what he makes in investment interest, for the year.... which he is also doing on his own. I'm proud of how he was ready to hit the ground running at 18.

I'm a little concerned about the solo travvel. He doesn't speak Thai, and english is not common. He says google translate will get him by.

Until his phone gets yoinked.

But anyway.
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

He's still in Thailand, been travelling solo for a few days.

He just got off a bus to the city where parts of Rambo 4 were filmed. Bussed all night. I told him to check in with me from time to time, so I know he's alive.

So he just got there, and texted me, "There are a lot of honkies here."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

I guess he found where all the white women at.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

If he goes all the way to Thailand just to fall in love with a cracker, I'm going to be terribly disappointed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

He's super sensitive to the cliché of westerers going to Thailand for prostitutes.

Also super sensitive to the cliché of a white man going to Asia to find a wife.

And I told him that's unfortunate, because he seems to be pivoting his education and career on trade in China, with China, and if he isn't willing to date a Chinese woman he works (or whatever, women in his sphere) with because of an internet meme, and the opinions of strangers, then he's looking at a sad, lonely life.