Pushy Salespeople

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Pushy Salespeople

Post by GORDON »

I don't know if it's the same in other areas, but some stores around here allow alternate-electricity providers set up shop in their stores and ambush you as you walk by. They'll ask if *local default electricity company* is your provider, and they want to sell you on someone cheaper (for 6 months then your rate jumps up, but they don't tell you that).

Anyway, I've seen them literally hundreds of times, and when I can't avoid them, I just talk over their initial pitch with a "No thank you," and keep walking. Usually they just let it go.

Usually.

The other day I was going through the grocery store with my kid, getting food for his last few days in town. The little salespeople station was in a stealth corner and when he came upon them I was surprised and made eye contact. Shit.

There were 3 of them, and I got the sense the super-fashionable black lady with the long hair and nails was in charge. She starts her pitch, "I was wondering if you had edison for your..."

"No thank you," I speak over her, as we come abreast, and move on.

"Sir, I'm not selling anything, I just want to know if you have..."

"No thank you," loud enough that she can hear with my back to her.

Super sarcastically and loud, "WELL THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE TIME, SIR."

I actually paused. I think she might have been trying to pick a fight. But then I moved on, because what kind of psycho starts a fight in a grocery store?

"I'm not selling anything." Yeah. Then get a real job and stop bugging people, bitch.

I'm already locked into a lower rate through my county, and can't change it for another 18 months without penalty, and even if I was inclined to share that info with her it's none of her goddam business and she can gfh with her "I'm not selling anything."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Pushy Salespeople

Post by Leisher »

"I rent" ends that conversation immediately.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Pushy Salespeople

Post by TheCatt »

The other day I called to cancel our backup internet service. They asked who I was moving to, and I said nothing.

Her "C'mon, no one goes without internet"

Me (in my head): Like, seriously, you love Comcast (orSpectrum/whoever) so much that you're going to pick this fight for you $12/hour?

Me: Fine, birds.

Her: Sir, I cannot cancel...

Me: You sure as heck can.

Her: If you don't answer the question...

Me: I'll complain to the FCC, Sec of State, and whoever else.

(pause)

Her: Who are you moving to?

Me: We're living off the grid on 100 acres we bought. No internet.

Her:... Fine.
It's not me, it's someone else.