Mad Max and Morality

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by GORDON »

I watched the origional Mad Max lately, and it got me to thinking.

Civilization in that universe is in decline. Some order still exists, but the candle is flickering. Gangs encroach into areas and commit crimes with general impunity, in areas that aren't completely forbidden to enter. The police force tries, but is outnumbered. Lawyers still exist, but often enable psychopaths walk on technicalities, to offend again.

It has been argued before on this forum that people should have the freedom to be as shitty as they want, even if the end result is disaster.

In the limits of Mad Max, it was very clear who the main drivers of chaos and entropy were. Imagine if Max and the forces of order had summarily captured and executed them early on, instead of waiting for your family and friends to be slaughtered by them. Maybe it would have pushed entropy back enough for things to not complete fall apart, in that universe.

I sort of foresee the same problems if things go to shit in the USA. Roving, armed gangs are going to be the problem. One wonders at what point morality is going to shift from "It is never ok to kill," to, "Wanting to live without violence is not a suicide pact, so shoot first before they have a chance to."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by Leisher »

One wonders what the end game is of "Don't prosecute people for crime" along with "Try and take guns away from law abiding citizens".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by GORDON »

I had to do an airport dropoff at 6 am this morning. I was out of my bubble and out in town for approximately 2 hours.

The insane speeders on the interstate between Toledo and Detroit are one thing.... but I spent about 15 minutes driving city streets, and in that time saw 3 people ignore red lights at intersections. As in, red light, slow down, check traffic, then yeet on through. One was with a cop near the intersection, who did nothing. I started laughing, then stopped, as he just sat there.

Can't help but think if we can punish these people doing the small crimes, maybe it will stop them later from doing the big crimes. But our law enforcement, isn't, it seems. The more it happens, the more the idea will spread that there aint no rules no more and it'll happen more.

I don't like leaving my bubble. Feels more and more I'm walking into a warzone every time I go into the city.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am Can't help but think if we can punish these people doing the small crimes, maybe it will stop them later from doing the big crimes.
Broken windows policing
The theory suggests that policing methods that target minor crimes such as vandalism, loitering, public drinking, jaywalking, and fare evasion help to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness.
What SEEMS to be happening is "We let people have minor crimes as a release, so larger ones don't happen" mentality. Which feels wrong?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by GORDON »

I think cops are tired of being criticized for being too violent, and this is their response. "Fuck it, I aint risking getting shot over a red light runner with a warrant."
Leisher
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:28 am I think cops are tired of being criticized for being too violent, and this is their response. "Fuck it, I aint risking getting shot over a red light runner with a warrant."
I believe this is correct.

Cops are tired of the public branding them all based on the actions of a few. They're tired of the armchair QBs who have never been cops and don't know the law telling them how to be cops. They're over the vultures in the MSM desperately waiting for any incident that they can turn into profit at the expense of the cops. They're sick of risking their lives for people and getting hate in return. They're also crazy understaffed, and they were already down to one cop per car in most places thanks to budget cuts. And I definitely think they are so understaffed that traffic stops have become a secondary priority.

There is the conspiracy theory that the government wants local police to fail so they can stop paying for it and instead bid it out (Robocop!). You could probably also argue that they want crime to become so bad that people become ok with cameras being everywhere, ala the UK.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by GORDON »

Sounds 100% correct.

The next step is to determine if any of that is an excuse for them to not do the jobs the public pays them to do, or if the Uvalde tactic of "Fuck it I aint getting shot for no kids, that aint my job" is going to be the new normal. Because I vote no.

If the police aren't going to do it, who can I pay to enforce traffic laws and stop the Mad Max future?
GORDON
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by GORDON »

I vented about seeing 3 red light runners in an hour, a couple days ago.

Yesterday I left my bubble to do a little running around town. This time in my own car, with the dashcam.

Tailgated me through the school zone, passed me on the right (there was no second lane), to get in front of me and turn left, running the red.

I'll be sending this video to Toledo PD with the recommendation they crush the car. Heavy consequences are the only way peeps will learn.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by Leisher »

I wonder if dashcam submissions will be allowed by law considering traffic cams are not?

It makes sense that the cities would want to outsource traffic policing to citizens. Citizens do the work for free and the city can get money from fining the offenders.
GORDON
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by GORDON »

I linked it on the "Engage Toledo" website anonymously.... but of course when you click the video, it shows my name and youtube account.

I'm waiting for the "no snitching" threats, now.

Red light cameras are illegal in Ohio because there's no way to face your accuser. I'm willing to testify, and I had to create an account on the website in order to post on it, so they can find me if they want.

Which they won't. There wasn't even a trial for the guy who ran over my kid, and no jail time, so there won't be anything done for the red light runner.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:44 pm Red light cameras are illegal in Ohio because there's no way to face your accuser.
Until AI is declared to be a valid witness in a court of law.

That's when some people will start identifying as AI and marry their toaster.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Mad Max and Morality

Post by TheCatt »

I'm with you. Also something very similar happened to us the other day, but even more aggressively
It's not me, it's someone else.