new desktop

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

Building it today. This used to be my server, so it's attached to an ANCIENT 19" screen (like 19" LCDs were a new hot thing when I got it).

What monitor setup do people here use? Does anyone use ultrawide or curved screens? I use a 2x27" for work, but if this one is more gaming/fun, a single screen would be desired.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

OMG, the new PC is so quiet. I used a Corsair HX750 PSU with a Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C case.

I mean, it only has 2 SSDs in it, and is barely doing anything, but it's so much quieter than my super tower 8 drive RAID configuration was. Same old MoBo, CPU, and GPU.

I even managed to wire it up to the mobo and PSU first try.

I know I swore off building a new PC again, but it was pretty fun and brought back nice memories doing it.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

I think it may be easier to build a PC, than it used to be. I didn't have to set a single jumper last time.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I think it may be easier to build a PC, than it used to be. I didn't have to set a single jumper last time.
Hah! Or worry about bending a pin on each memory chip.

It's still a little annoying to plug in the connectors (power switch, etc). But that was probably the hardest part.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

I'm the most paranoid about the screwdriver slipping and scratching the mobo, when putting in those little screws. I've done that before and killed the mobo.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

I like that the newer power supplies have a "only plug in cables that you need" configuration. Keeps everything cleaner.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I like that the newer power supplies have a "only plug in cables that you need" configuration. Keeps everything cleaner.
Yes, the one I bought is that, and I left half the cables out of the PC entirely, which is awesome. Not toooo great if I ever do need to plug them in, but there's room in the case. It's a mid-tower.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

WIth the M.2 storage device, the only reason I needed to plug in a SATA power cable at all was because the case fans required it.

Was a little weird that the case has zero slots in case I planned to install an optical disk drive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: WIth the M.2 storage device, the only reason I needed to plug in a SATA power cable at all was because the case fans required it.
The SATA -> Fan thing was nice. This one had a hub where you could plug in about 6 fans, then do a single SATA to power them.
GORDON wrote: Was a little weird that the case has zero slots in case I planned to install an optical disk drive.
A lot of cases don't have optical disk drives now. This one does, but I don't plan to put one in there.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

I was slightly worried about that, but with the Win10 USB drive install, no biggie. Figured if I needed one, I'd have a $20 external from amazon in 2 days.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

My CPU is from late 2015. My GPU is from 2013. Hmmmm. Might have to upgrade something.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: My CPU is from late 2015. My GPU is from 2013. Hmmmm. Might have to upgrade something.
Crap. I looked into stealing something from my wife, but her desktop is from 2012.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

Anyone built a machine lately? Looks like AMD has taken over desktop performance?
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

I just did an I7. My kid did all the research and that's what he wanted for gaming.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I just did an I7. My kid did all the research and that's what he wanted for gaming.
Gotcha. Safe choice. Choice to try out the Ryzen 7 3700x. This is for my wife who mostly does Photoshop, so I based it on price-performance for Photoshop/Lightroom only. $1,200 for parts. We'll see how it goes.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

Mine was also 1200 parts

Hard part was finding an instock mobo for the I7 at the good price point. Didn't want to wait weeks for a drop ship from China.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mine was also 1200 parts

Hard part was finding an instock mobo for the I7 at the good price point. Didn't want to wait weeks for a drop ship from China.
Yeah, I had to pick/choose a few things to get it from Amazon faster (and make sure it was solid directly from Amazon, not a 3rd party), but everything should be here next week.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

I priced out a similarly specced PC from a customer builder and they priced theirs around $3,000. Theirs was a $150 more CPU and $150 more GPU, but smaller SSD ($50). That's a lot of $$ to build the PC. Oh, and Windows license which I don't need.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

I was surprised how many different damn specs there are for the Intel CPU chipsets. There's the I7, but then you have to get the mobo that works on a specific generation, and there's at least 4 of them out there. Then a diff set of specs for the I5. And a different set for the I9. So if my kid wants to make a small upgrade to his CPU in a year or two, he also needs a new Mobo, guaranteed. Crazy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: There's the I7, but then you have to get the mobo that works on a specific generation, and there's at least 4 of them out there. Then a diff set of specs for the I5. And a different set for the I9. So if my kid wants to make a small upgrade to his CPU in a year or two, he also needs a new Mobo, guaranteed. Crazy.
The AMD stuff didn't REQUIRE an upgrade like that, but if you wanted whatever full capabilities, you COULD upgrade.