NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Coaches poll is out.

LSU at 1, OSU at 2, Clemson at 3...ok, no problem so far.

Bama at 4. PSU at 11. What the actual fuck? The SEC bias is a legit thing.

Bama is a 7 point favorite at home, loses to an undefeated team by 5, gives up 46 points, and drops 3 spots.
PSU is a 6 point favorite on the road, loses to an undefeated team by 5, gives up 31 points, and drops 6 spots.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

The Rutgers folks at Barstool have a sense of humor.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Bama is a 7 point favorite at home, loses to an undefeated team by 5, gives up 46 points, and drops 3 spots.
PSU is a 6 point favorite on the road, loses to an undefeated team by 5, gives up 31 points, and drops 6 spots.
LSU is good, Minnesota is super suspect for 9-0.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: LSU is good, Minnesota is super suspect for 9-0.
LSU barely beat Texas. Because everyone in the SEC plays FCS schools, it's hard to judge if they're any good or not.

This is why equal schedules need to happen, so voters can get a better sense of what's a good win, and what isn't.

But yeah, if Minnesota goes undefeated I'll be stunned.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: LSU barely beat Texas.
Texas isn't bad. Certainly better than Illinois.
Leisher wrote: Bama at 4.
Well, hope that UGA runs the table. Then LSU + UGA will be in, with Bama out :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Texas isn't bad. Certainly better than Illinois.
I'm not sure about that. Maryland beat Texas the last two years. Also, Illinois not only beat Wisconsin, but they just beat MSU in MSU. They're legit having their best season in years.
TheCatt wrote: Well, hope that UGA runs the table. Then LSU + UGA will be in, with Bama out
Honestly, I kind of want Bama to get put in and then get housed by any other team.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Also, OSU opened as 50.5 point favorites against Rutgers and the line has already been pushed to 54. WTF!?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Also, Illinois not only beat Wisconsin, but they just beat MSU in MSU.
That game was a disaster. MSU jumped up big, then just fucking blew it. We watched parts of the first half only.

Two games seems fair.
Leisher wrote: Also, OSU opened as 50.5 point favorites against Rutgers and the line has already been pushed to 54. WTF!?
Well, when you play JuCo teams...
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Well, when you play JuCo teams...
I don't remember them playing UNC?

You can tease about schedule all you want, but it doesn't carry enough weight to bait me. OSU's opponent winning percentage is third best in the nation. Bama's is the third worst. OSU's SOS is 34th, every other undefeated team's is worse. (I honestly don't understand how LSU's is...maybe they've finally passed OSU?)
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Well, when you play JuCo teams...
I don't remember them playing UNC?

You can tease about schedule all you want, but it doesn't carry enough weight to bait me. OSU's opponent winning percentage is third best in the nation. Bama's is the third worst. OSU's SOS is 34th, every other undefeated team's is worse. (I honestly don't understand how LSU's is...maybe they've finally passed OSU?)
As long as there are.. what, 130 teams, we're going to have 1-5 great teams, 10-20 very good teams, 20 decent teams and a bunch of fluff. Everyone plays a bunch of fluff.

I'm not arguing OSU played a terrible schedule at the moment. I'm just saying: Back to Rutgers, though... they're abysmal.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Rutgers is exceptionally bad. Jim Delaney brought them into the B1G for East Coast exposure, but so far they're just an embarrassment.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

UNC up to #6 in the AP poll this week. I have a hard time buying that. Anthony is awesome, but there's not a whole lot behind him, and we have 5 injured players. Our 3 + 4 star recruits are both injured, one of our 2 5-star recruits got injured in the 2nd game. Two players expected to get a bunch of time/start are injured.

The next couple of games are easy, but then we have Battle for Atlantis (Michigan + #8 Gonzaga if we win), OSU #14, and #9 Virginia. Oooph.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: but then we have Battle for Atlantis (Michigan + #8 Gonzaga if we win), OSU #14, and #9 Virginia. Oooph.
Tough schedule.

The Buckeyes are heading to some event soon where I don't anticipate they'll be winning a ton of games...
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

OSU plays Villanova tomorrow night. We'll find out pretty quick if this team is any good or not.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: OSU plays Villanova tomorrow night. We'll find out pretty quick if this team is any good or not.
Nova, UNC, Kentucky all before the New Year. I like aggressive scheduling, but.. damn...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: No, but seriously, what the fuck is LSU's coaching staff doing?
That terrible D on the 85 yd TD... oof.

So 1/2 OSU/LSU
3 - Clemson (assuming they beat NCSU)
4 - Georiga?
5 - Bama :)
Committee agrees with me.

Gets interesting if Minnesota, Georgia win out, or if Oregon Utah do
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Oh, my, Kentucky
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Saw someone post that Minnesota has a better win than everyone above them except LSU. That's not wrong.

Georgia at #4 is ridiculous. They are clearly pretenders who lost to a 4-6 team at home.

Bama still has zero wins against ranked teams, the third worst OWP, just gave up 50 at home, and their SOS is somewhere in the 50s.

The SEC bias is legit.

I have no problem with LSU at 1. I do think OSU, Clemson should be 2/3. After that, it should be Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Minnesota in no specific order. I guess you can throw Georgia in there too since they still have a shot at the SEC championship. However, Bama should NOT be in the discussion anymore. They might play a ranked team in Auburn, but that's it. They have no shot at winning their division or conference.

And Kentucky...who saw that coming?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Interesting breakdown of stats.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Saw someone post that Minnesota has a better win than everyone above them except LSU. That's not wrong
That's why we don't judge teams based on one game.
Leisher wrote: I have no problem with LSU at 1. I do think OSU, Clemson should be 2/3.
I'd prefer OSU at #1, cuz I'd rater have Clemson play LSU than OSU :