Native American lands were...

Post by TheCatt »

Pick one
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I picked one but there's a 3rd more accurate answer.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I picked one but there's a 3rd more accurate answer.
Which is?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

90% of.their civilization was wiped out by European diseases unknowingly carried by the early explorers about a hundred years before the first European colonies in n America. The new world was relatively abandoned and what was left was a stoneage culture facing European high technology. It was never going to end any other way, a string of broken treaties, aside.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: 90% of.their civilization was wiped out by European diseases unknowingly carried by the early explorers about a hundred years before the first European colonies in n America. The new world was relatively abandoned and what was left was a stoneage culture facing European high technology. It was never going to end any other way, a string of broken treaties, aside.
I was reading something saying the lands were stolen last night. I mean, they lost. We just don't do those things any more, well, except Russia + China.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Irritates me when Columbus is labeled a genocide. There were a few murders by the early explorers, but as I said, the indigenous were wiped out by diseases. Genocide implies purpose. People didn't figure out microscopic cavorting beasties caused disease until the 1800s.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That being said, treaties were indeed broken by the crown/colonies/american government left and right. The first one I can think of was that europeans wouldn't settle west of the Appalachians. So from that perspective, broken treaties, their land was kinda sorta stolen.

BUT AGAIN.... stoneage civilization. Good luck enforcing your agreements.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The thing that really irritates me are the people who think American Indians were living here in peace and harmony until the white man came along. They were at constant war with one another. The Cherokee were almost murdered to extinction before whitey ever set foot on the continent.

Same morons who refuse to acknowledge black slavers' role in the slave trade.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

I wonder if other countries cry about the old dead civilizations their people conquered centuries before? Are there Jews that wring their hands over the fates of the Canaanites?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren