Soccer

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And that short sightedness is one of the biggest problems humanity has always faced.
Sure, it's like rewarding people that get out of a crisis, instead of rewarding people who avoid the crisis in the first place.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

I liken it more to having to change your entire society to help people get out of a crisis they invented then throwing them a fucking parade.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Well, for 72 minutes the men were doing well. Still a good showing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

I understand the women want equality of pay, but I think they'd need more equivalent revenue.
The 2015 Women’s World Cup generated almost $73 million, the 2018 men’s tournament generated an estimated $6.1 billion in revenue.
That's 2 orders of magnitude. Granted, the years are different, but I assume the 2019 #s will be higher, but comparable.

Forbes article. The men's champion in 2018 only got 10x what the women's champ will get this year. 1 order of magnitude, despite the 100x revenue.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

The more relevant data, for the US team, is US revenue to the association. This article digs into those numbers.
In fiscal 2018, the U.S. Soccer Federation had total operating revenue of $101.4 million. Almost half was generated by sponsorships and around one-quarter can be attributed to revenue from games played by the national teams, according to USSF financial documents.
However, we can’t directly attribute this increase to either team. USSF sells sponsorships (which include broadcast rights for all U.S. Soccer games) as a bundle. The documents we reviewed don’t distinguish which team brings in more sponsorships or how sponsorship dollars are allocated.
Interestingly, the women's games have been producing more revenue lately, since the men FAILED TO QUALIFY in 2018. But, back in 2015, the men brought in significantly more, but only on the order of ~10% of total revenue (so let's say $55M for Men, $45M for women)

Based on friendlies, women earn 38 to 89% of what a man would earn for the same schedule, depending on wins/losses (38% = win all 20 games, 89% = lose all 20 games).

One argument I don't buy is the WC distributions. Basically, the men have a much larger pool (see previous post), so get a lot more $$$ even when they lose. But the womens' team's lawyer is argue that the federation shouldn't care about FIFA's "discrimination"
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Basically their argument is bad business and they're going to end up hurting themselves in the process.

What businessperson wants to pay more for less?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder when we'll see some trans players at the women's world cup, and for what team(s)?
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Going to be tough to find a solution that makes everyone happy when one side refuses to acknowledge a huge lack of interest in their product.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

If only the US had more players like Pulisic.
The American becomes just the second player from the U.S. to score a hat trick in the Premier League, joining Clint Dempsey, who did it in 2012 for Fulham in a match against Newcastle.

As an added bonus, Pulisic scored a goal with his right foot, his left foot and from a header, making it a perfect hat trick to become the first Chelsea player to complete the feat since Didier Drogba against Wigan in May 2010.
Cakedaddy

Soccer

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Didier Drogba
That might be my next D&D character's name. I guess soccer isn't a complete waste after all! A dwarf cleric from Wigan.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Didier Drogba
That might be my next D&D character's name. I guess soccer isn't a complete waste after all! A dwarf cleric from Wigan.
Will he run away from every battle like a Frenchie?
Cakedaddy

Soccer

Post by Cakedaddy »

No, but he'll go immediately to 0 HP with the slightest touch.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Woot!
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

A tremor in the force...