Epic Store

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Their free games are now every week instead of every other week. I have a lot of games I haven't played. And a weekly Friday morning reminder to get another one.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Their free games are now every week instead of every other week.
This isn't a good sign for them. Every free game is lost revenue. They wouldn't be doing this if they had great subscriber numbers.

Good. Fuck them. I won't use their platform until they end the exclusive title crap.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Now they make you install the game to get it for free. Fuckers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Now they make you install the game to get it for free. Fuckers.
Not true. I just made a mistake.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Thanks for reminding me to go grab my free games that I'll never play.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Tim Sweeney from Epic tweeted about this article where Ubisoft praised Epic and bashed Valve for their 12% and 30% cuts respectively. Chris Early says Valve's business model is "unrealistic".

The article, apparently from a Chinese site that has ties to Tencent, which is a huge investor in the EGS and Epic itself, doesn't mention how the 30% is standard for the industry, and particularly, consoles. It also doesn't make mention of how the EGS is completely devoid of features. At no point is it discussed how the exclusivity bribes are not realistic or anti-consumer. They don't discuss how once Fortnite dies out, and it will like all games do, the EGS model will be unsustainable. They don't discuss Epic's policy of forcing indy developers to make their games exclusive to the EGS or they will not allow it on the platform. Easily one of the most unethical things in a sea of unethical moves by Epic.

In other words, it's a puff piece, and I'm getting quite disgusted watching game execs take bribes and then become shills for the briber to justify their anti-consumer moves. You'll notice that site doesn't allow comments...

Like Russ Bullock, who refuses to engage anyone pointing out legit criticism of their marketing MW5 to their fanbase as being available on Steam only to take it away at the 11th hour in favor of a EGS exclusivity bribe: I and several others call him out with actual facts countering his bullshit and he doesn't address any of them. Coward.

Just fucking admit you took the bribe to ensure your game's success! I would respect them so much more if they would do that. Stop being a shill for anti-consumer practices!

Bandai Namco refuses to do EGS exclusive deals. A second article on this move.

As a reminder, this is an actual Tim Sweeney quote and shows you what kind of unethical scumbag he is:

I guess his ethics and morals left the building once that Fortnite money started rolling in...

Speaking of Fortnite, here's an article about how badly they treat their programmers.

Last but not least, Unfold Games head and developer of Darq refused the EGS exclusivity demand for indy developers, but his game is selling so well everywhere else that he tweeted to Tim Sweeney directly that he'd give 100% of all the money from Darq sales on the EGS if Sweeney would just waive the exclusivity demand and allow Darq onto the EGS.

Multiple news outlets have reported it, the Twitterverse is retweeting it to Epic Games and Tim Sweeney directly, but absolutely no response from Sweeney.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

If you have 14 minutes, this guy details exactly why nobody, NO CONSUMER, should be buying anything from EGS. He does so by telling the truth (with actual evidence) about the MW5 exclusive deal and how Russ Bullock and Epic fucked the customers over, and how their original plans, revealed only because of a mistake, were to withhold the EGS exclusive news until the 11th hour...Sound familiar?

Same shit they've been doing with all of these exclusives.

https://youtu.be/rp_eocF-Dqc
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Apparently that's from 5 months ago. Some conversation here.

Here's Epic's response
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

I trust, literally, nothing Epic says. This same scandal occurred in another Tencent property, LoL. When that spying code was found it was removed. Their excuse is akin to a plumber coming to fix your kitchen sink, but going upstairs to rifle through your dresser drawers “because he needs to”.

Tencent has absolutely been embroiled in corporate espionage and other such scandals, but let’s all pretend they won’t do that with the EGS.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

https://youtu.be/AoAwyyDTiJ4
GORDON
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by GORDON »

Summarize?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Summarize?
Epic bad, I assume.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Epic Games is having a sale right now. BL3 is down to $59.99... ummm

Considering it's one of the 3 games on the front of their ad, I thought it'd actually be on sale.

Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

EGS paid over $10M for exclusive rights to Control (which may be a timed deal).

Another article on that deal.
This kind of payout is typically given as an advance on royalties, which means that Remedy and 505 Games won't see any further payments for Control until after it earns back that advance. As was explained by Ooblets' developer in a blog post about their exclusivity deal, it's "a minimum guarantee on sales" presumably based on what the game is predicted to earn across multiple stores.
I thought it was extra money? Being guaranteed money makes these deals even stupider. Why would you piss off so many of your customers on games that are already guaranteed to hit certain sales numbers?

Epic paid Phoenix Point $2.25M for a timed exclusive.

Ooblets developer took a bribe and got "tens of thousands" of angry abusive messages about it.
Glumberland, comprised of Rebecca Cordingley and her husband Ben Wasser, received "a minimum guarantee" on sales—money upfront—that totals the amount the team wanted to reach if they were to sell on all online storefronts.
So again, the bribe is to guarantee a certain point of sales.

Also, I'd like to thank Tim Sweeney, the greediest, most unethical and self-serving fuck in gaming, and Epic for giving me a topic to write a paper on in one of my business classes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Also, I'd like to thank Tim Sweeney, the greediest, most unethical and self-serving fuck in gaming, and Epic for giving me a topic to write a paper on in one of my business classes.
On the other hand, he likes to buy up NC land and give it to conservation groups.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I thought it was extra money? Being guaranteed money makes these deals even stupider. Why would you piss off so many of your customers on games that are already guaranteed to hit certain sales numbers?
I thought it was extra money, too. But getting that money without risk, versus waiting for the sales? Still an easy decision from a business perspective. If you never make another game + don't have to worry about pissing off future customers :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Also, I'd like to thank Tim Sweeney, the greediest, most unethical and self-serving fuck in gaming, and Epic for giving me a topic to write a paper on in one of my business classes.
On the other hand, he likes to buy up NC land and give it to conservation groups.
I have no issue with that.

You know how the MSM and certain political figures on both sides of the aisle like to claim opposition to __________ are just a "vocal minority"?

Game developers are using that same tactic against EGS opponents.
Leisher
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by Leisher »

Never mind. It was rejected for not being "international enough", which boggles the mind as gaming is the #1 industry in entertainment. However, I couldn't find an article recent enough that discussed TenCent's role and the issues some foreign markets using the EGS have with inflated prices, missing products, payment methods, and exchange rate issues. Another reason to hate Epic.

Had to go with a story about Amazon murdering people for profit... :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Epic Store

Post by GORDON »

Your prof is clearly a russian chinese asset.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."