Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

While mowing today I seriously contemplated making a dummy Twitter account just to tweet this stuff at the President.

It would make so much sense for him to use this as a means of fighting China's piracy, corporate espionage, and pollution. Ending that shit would be huge wins for the world.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

It would, but I don't think China cares.

And one else pondering how muxh of our electric grid is already compromised by China or just me?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I have a really good roof for solar panels. Been tempted for a while.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I have a really good roof for solar panels. Been tempted for a while.
We do too, actually. Probably not a bad idea. Was planning the do that and a battery once I got an electric car.

I was thinking guns, food and water :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I plan on defeating post-apocalyptic enemies with my cutting wit and disarming demeanor.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I plan on defeating post-apocalyptic enemies with my cutting wit and disarming demeanor.
Well, suicide is a plan.

Wake County, where Thib + I live, requires you to show up IN person to get a permit processed for a handgun.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Wake County, where Thib + I live, requires you to show up IN person to get a permit processed for a handgun.
To carry?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Wake County, where Thib + I live, requires you to show up IN person to get a permit processed for a handgun.
To carry?
To buy. Long gun, just an ID is needed.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: To buy. Long gun, just an ID is needed.
Would be surprised if this isn't being challenged in court. Seems to violate the whole "shall not be infringed" part. I really wish both sides of both debates would look at voting rights and firearm rights the same as far as what is an acceptable burden to place on the exercise of that right.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: To buy. Long gun, just an ID is needed.
Would be surprised if this isn't being challenged in court. Seems to violate the whole "shall not be infringed" part. I really wish both sides of both debates would look at voting rights and firearm rights the same as far as what is an acceptable burden to place on the exercise of that right.
Well, we had an overwhelmingly Republican state government: House, Senate, + Governor at the time the bill was passed. I didnt even know the law existed until this week.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Info about the law
A new law in North Carolina requires mental health checks from every county in the state where a handgun permit applicant has lived.

In some counties, the new check is stopping some people from buying a gun who wouldn't have otherwise been caught by the federal system that was in place before December 1. But it's also causing sometimes lengthy delays in the process because records have to be physically checked, rather than referenced online.

"Those records would still be paper records, or maybe they have an internal index of names," said Lori Vesely, who researches handgun permit requests in North Carolina.
I've lived in... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 counties in this state. Ugh.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Well, we had an overwhelmingly Republican state government: House, Senate, + Governor at the time the bill was passed. I didnt even know the law existed until this week.
I'm guessing from looking at the dates that this was a reaction to the SC church shooting with Republicans wanting to show they aren't racist.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Rich people spending less. But the not rich are still spending.
The savings of the rich has also exploded, more than doubling over the past two years, suggesting that the wealthy are hoarding cash. The middle earners, or those in the 40% to 89.9% of the income distribution, have largely picked up the spending slack from the rich.

“If job growth slows any further, unemployment will begin to rise, (the middle earners) will pack it in, resulting in an economic downturn,” Zandi said.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

The report identified the trend as a "yellow warning sign rather than a red one."
Only yellow according to the article.

There' definitely softening, but nothing screams recession yet.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Headline I clicked said "red", so I guess this just reinforces Vince's point about the MSM's dangerous hyperbole.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

US Manufacturing contracted in August 2019
The ISM U.S. manufacturing PMI (purchasing managers’ index) declined to 49.1 in August, the lowest reading since January 2016. Any reading below 50 signals a contraction.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Chinese delegation leaving early.

And probably not because they made a ton of progress quickly.