Synology RT2600 Router

Troy

Synology RT2600 Router

Post by Troy »

I ordered a beefy router for the new house setup and have it my hot little hands at work.

It's this guy: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/synology-rt2600ac-review/

Anyone have any experience? This is a different beast than the simple 60 dollar Linksys 5G router I was using before, very feature heavy.

I was planning pairing it with a good USB HD and letting it be a shared cloud storage device, and to add on some wireless outdoor security cameras eventually (haven't delved deeply enough on that yet)

I've gathered from the tutorials and the manual I'll proably be installing:

The Intrusion Protection module
Traffic monitoring feature
Shared storage module
MAYBE the VPN module (I can't think of why I would need this)

Online people talked about pairing it with various other networking devices, but I'd like to avoid that if possible, as it seems to do everything on its own.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Synology RT2600 Router

Post by TheCatt »

Looks interesting. Since we use google fiber, we just use that as our router, with a 3 pack of google WiFi around the house. We have cameras, but use the Arlo cloud cameras. I tried one you do yourself and connect to nas and it sucked. But that was years ago.

These days I’m in the less futzing the better crowd.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Synology RT2600 Router

Post by Troy »

One feature I'm intrigued about and that seems to be legit based on the reviews - is having both a 5G and a 2.4G band with the same SSID. The benchmarks seem to show significant bonuses in speed over 5G alone. Never knew you could do that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Synology RT2600 Router

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: One feature I'm intrigued about and that seems to be legit based on the reviews - is having both a 5G and a 2.4G band with the same SSID. The benchmarks seem to show significant bonuses in speed over 5G alone. Never knew you could do that.
That's relatively new, but it's what our Google Wifi does. I remember the first time I had 2.4 + 5 they had to be separate SSIDs.
Troy

Synology RT2600 Router

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Troy wrote: One feature I'm intrigued about and that seems to be legit based on the reviews - is having both a 5G and a 2.4G band with the same SSID. The benchmarks seem to show significant bonuses in speed over 5G alone. Never knew you could do that.
That's relatively new, but it's what our Google Wifi does. I remember the first time I had 2.4 + 5 they had to be separate SSIDs.
Separate SSIDs is my current situation too. 2.4G is practically un-usable in even reasonably dense apartment buildings, at least where I live. I was surprised you could squeeze in speed by adding what I thought was a super overcrowded band. It seemed more like a liability.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Synology RT2600 Router

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: I was surprised you could squeeze in speed by adding what I thought was a super overcrowded band. It seemed more like a liability.
Definitely YMMV.