General Space Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

I hope to be proven wrong.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: As I understand it, those satellites are mainly to bring web to dark corners of the earth. Fine. Those of.us who need low latency will never use it.

So.my reaction is "oh.great, now they last billion peeps on earth can tell me they banged my mom "
Like Troy said, these aren't the geostationary super high orbit satellites, they're planning for much lower latency, so it should be more useful.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: So.my reaction is "oh.great, now they last billion peeps on earth can tell me they banged my mom "
To be fair to them, you should just assume everyone on Earth has banged your mom.
Troy wrote: SpaceX could become a global juggernaut.

It's interesting how open they are about their business practices. Live streaming everything, giving info about rocket development.
I love everything they're doing. Sometimes privatization works.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

How far is the moon from the Earth? (let's say, in terms of the diameter of the Earth?) Get an answer in your mind.

It's this far.
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

That's pretty far.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Someone in the world just saw that picture and believes that is how the solar system looks.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: That's pretty far.
Right? I know I've learned this before, and yet I was surprised to see that picture. In my head, it's like 1 or 2 Earths away.
Leisher wrote: Someone in the world just saw that picture and believes that is how the solar system looks.
Got I hope so.
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Right? I know I've learned this before, and yet I was surprised to see that picture. In my head, it's like 1 or 2 Earths away.
Honestly, it is about twice as far as I would have guestimated if given two cut-outs on a sticky board.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

And on a sane note, saw a bright "star" near the moon last night, knew it was a planet. Guessed Venus.

Installed a "sky map" app on my phone, it says it was Jupiter.

Pulled out my kid's cheap telescope, pointed it in the right direction. I could clearly see Jupiter and at least 2 moons. First time I've ever directly observed another planet's moons.

So I have that going for me, which is nice.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Nice! When we were on vacation last year we could see Saturn, Jupiter and Venus all about once. But we had no telescope for the moons
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

I should probably invest in a cheap telescope. We have so much less light pollution here.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

India officially joins the space race.

Their rover should also finally end conspiracy theories about the moon landing...you know, if those people weren't batshit crazy.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Starhopper lifts off.

SpaceX is killing it lately.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Black moon coming.
Can't wait to see it!
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

So... a second new moon due to the arbitrary setting of days in a month. Wow. The wife gets a third paycheck this month! Has nothing to do with the black moon, but involves the same amount of science.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

I bet you wouldn't be snarky if it was called a White Moon, racist.