Climate Change (fka man-made global warming)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I'd appreciate it if you waited until I made my case.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Needs more boobs /drunk
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I'd appreciate it if you waited until I made my case.
Bookmarking my ammo.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Plastic ring was killing a shark slowly.

The picture is fucked up.

Two girls are petitioning McDonald's and BK to stop giving out plastic toys.

I'm actually fine with this one. Those toys are complete shit. The kids play with them on the ride home and then they're thrown away or forgotten.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Cambodia is shipping garbage back to the U.S. and Canada.

I didn't know garbage was being shipping around the world to be dumped in other countries. Now those countries are pushing back. I guess corporations will have to figure out a way to properly dispose of their trash.

Also, scroll down through that article and look at the pictures. Am I crazy or is there someone in black face?
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm actually fine with this one. Those toys are complete shit.
Right? Agree 100%
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Cambodia is shipping garbage back to the U.S. and Canada.

I didn't know garbage was being shipping around the world to be dumped in other countries. Now those countries are pushing back. I guess corporations will have to figure out a way to properly dispose of their trash.

Also, scroll down through that article and look at the pictures. Am I crazy or is there someone in black face?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "garbage" we ship overseas is actually recycling that gets collected in neighborhoods, at cost to the citizens, in which there is no actual recycling center. That shit is a scam from top to.bottom.

If it was more efficient to recycle it, someone would pay you for it. Pretty much begins and ends at metals.
Vince

More proof "environmentalists" are fill of shit

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "garbage" we ship overseas is actually recycling that gets collected in neighborhoods, at cost to the citizens, in which there is no actual recycling center. That shit is a scam from top to.bottom.

If it was more efficient to recycle it, someone would pay you for it. Pretty much begins and ends at metals.
That would make sense. I'm guessing that we have regulations that don't allow trash collected for "recycling" to be put in a land fill. So it ends up shipped out of the country if they don't actually have a recycling center.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Post by Vince »

Wiping your ass is killing nature.

We're back to "paper bad" now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
We're back to "paper bad" now.
Your link literally says otherwise, but whatevs.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Yeah, that's why they made a web site. To show how good TP is.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote: Cambodia is shipping garbage back to the U.S. and Canada.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "garbage" we ship overseas is actually recycling that gets collected in neighborhoods, at cost to the citizens, in which there is no actual recycling center. That shit is a scam from top to.bottom.

There's a great episode of P&T:BS! that covers how recycling is a massive waste of money, with the exception being metal.
Vince wrote: Yeah, that's why they made a web site. To show how good TP is.
I've got to agree with Catt on this one. That website is about a specific forest being used rather than sustainable forestry and non-toxic bleach. It's not a TP is bad site, but a "these TPs are bad" site. They have a scorecard there showing brands that meet this criteria and brands that don't.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I've got to agree with Catt on this one. That website is about a specific forest being used rather than sustainable forestry and non-toxic bleach. It's not a TP is bad site, but a "these TPs are bad" site. They have a scorecard there showing brands that meet this criteria and brands that don't.
The P&T:Bullsh!t episode you reference in this very post exposes how toxic recycling paper is to the environment, and that's one of the criteria they use in their TP grading on this site. Also, I'm not sure how Canada's mismanagement of their forests is the fault or responsibility of the Charmin people. And do you really think Canada ISN'T managing their resources better than this? Canada is pretty freaking green as far as their policies go. Pretty sure that this is a shakedown of Proctor and Gamble (and the other big TP names listed under the D & F column), otherwise they'd be taking it up with the Canadian government.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Still getting hotter. And no, not in the ways it got hotter several hundred years ago. Worse.
Vince

Post by Vince »

We're in a nice cool snap right now, which I really enjoy.

Not sure what to do about this, really. I think there's a lot of guess work involved with predictions in this. Climate is an EXTREMELY complex chaos system. To me it's like taking a large glass of marbles and dumping them out in a room and knowing exactly where all of them are exactly when they stop moving. Even if you know everything about every aspect of the exercise, it's a daunting task. Plus, even the most extreme plans for dealing with it really seem to fail a loss/benefit analysis.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

You're not wrong about weather/climate being a complex system. I believe there are still factors we haven't considered and/or are unaware of that affect it.

That being said, we definitely affect it and the natural world. Coral reefs being damaged by pollution, plastic being found in everything and around living creatures, losing rainforest for agriculture/manufacturing (imho, the most overlooked thing in climate change), animals losing their habitat, animals being farmed/hunted to extinction, etc.

Even if you think Climate Change is a total load of shit, none of the stuff I listed is fake. Why not do what we can to correct those things? Why not put the effort in to make manufacturing as efficient and clean as possible, and then extend that to our lives? I'd love to not see cigarette butts everywhere I go or garbage all along our highways or swim in an ocean teaming with fish and colorful, healthy coral reefs, etc.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I'm okay with doing what we can to make things cleaner. Reasonable regulations for new coal plants I'm cool with. Laws calling for bankrupting retroactive refits only designed to destroy a coal plant as Obama did only makes me question motivations.

We have more trees in the US than we did 300 years ago. Man made fire breaks (highways, towns, etc) and modern fire fighting techniques prevent the fires from burning until they run out of fuel as they used to. Also, old trees are not as good at scrubbing CO2 from the air as younger trees. So that might not be as much of a plus as we think. As far as other nations, I'm all for lobbying them to do better, but that's ultimately up to them.

And a lot of this for me is how effective is the change. We've talked about Kroger and the phasing out of the plastic bags (just got a weekly e-flyer that mentioned it again). We've already established that the US is an undersized cause of the plastic in the ocean contributor. Last night a realization occurred to me. I was thinking about our semi-regular trips to Kroger. In the produce we get greens that go in their own separate plastic bag from the produce department. Wife usually gets a fruit bundle (berries, grapes, apples, etc) that packaged in it's own container, often plastic or Styrofoam; also wrapped in plastic. Soup aisle is plastic free. Bread... plastic bag. Snack cakes... individually wrapped in plastic in a box. Cereal... plastic bag in a box. Peanut butter... plastic jar with plastic lid. Lunch meat... plastic bag. Chips... plastic//foil bags. Milk... plastic jugs. You get the picture. The one use disposable bags are the about the least plasticky thing you come out with there.

So is the loss of convenience and increase in risk of salmonella poisoning worth reducing an already small amount of plastic from our undersized global footprint? No, it really isn't for me. I think a lot of the problem is by making this a part of the religion of the left, they've made people feel about the issue rather than think about it.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Prince Harry is only going to have two kids to save the Earth.

I mean, the real problem IS the overabundance of people...

Ethiopia planted over 350M trees in 12 hours.

It's part of reforestation efforts.

Earth Overshoot Day is now July 29th.

Have I mentioned there are too many people?
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I just had a 5 year old fruit tree die because of the 4 week drought.... it didn't get watered while I was out of the state.

Just because they planted 350 million trees doesn't mean they're going to have that many in a month. Trees are hard. Someone should be asking those questions, but journalists don't do that.