Top Gun: Maverick

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: To be fair (To be faaaaair!), I didn't think she was that hot in the first movie. I never got the hype.

Attractive, yes. Goddess status she was treated with, absolutely not.
I will forever remember her boobs from Witness.

Although, I just googled them, and my memory was nicer than the pictures. So I'll stick to my memories of her mammaries.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: (To be faaaaair!)
You get bonus points for the LetterKenny reference.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 am Cruise and Kilmer are in, but McGillis and Ryan are not.

People are making that an issue.
Director addresses why they weren't invited back.

Honestly, it makes all the sense in the world that Ryan's character wouldn't be back since her link to the story was Goose and he's dead. In the real world she would have moved on with her life.

As for McGillis, we're supposed to believe a hot shot Navy pilot/trainer who barely looks like he's aged since the first movie would be married to an overweight senior citizen? Not to be mean, but most marriages end in divorce and women are known to throw themselves at men in uniform, so...highly doubtful they'd still be together.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Top Gun 2

Post by GORDON »

bump - found a super old thread and merged them
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Heard this was supposed to be good! Excited. Will see it next couple weeks if I can.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Going today - got a window in a few hours.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

These might be the best reviews on the internet. Love it that he always takes shots at "The Message".

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:48 pm These might be the best reviews on the internet. Love it that he always takes shots at "The Message".
I hate how boring + predictable he is.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Ok the action was sick from that standpoint.

But it was so wildly off reality and clearly written and shot before the Ukraine war. This was not a defensive action over a disabled USA ship in international waters like the first. This was a mission impossible type military movie that would have started world war 3. We know our government won’t do that inside non NATO territory. Much less inside Russia? Wtf.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:48 pm These might be the best reviews on the internet. Love it that he always takes shots at "The Message".
I hate how boring + predictable he is.
Sure, there is an obvious gimmick at play, but I enjoy it. If Malcolm had ambition, these are the kinds of reviews he could have written.
Troy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm But it was so wildly off reality and clearly written and shot before the Ukraine war. This was not a defensive action over a disabled USA ship in international waters like the first. This was a mission impossible type military movie that would have started world war 3. We know our government won’t do that inside non NATO territory. Much less inside Russia? Wtf.
That's the biggest complaint I keep hearing about the movie.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Spoilers!!

Seriously - the navy launched 30 tomahawks in the first strike, kill hundreds of Russians, while attacking a strategic nuclear facility inside Russia. The longer away from this movie the less sense it makes. The happy ending and celebration on board a carrier at the end would have been followed quickly by it and all the pilots being killed and capital ship sunk by tactical nukes and cruise missiles. Russia would have unleashed absolute hell on this carrier group right off their coast. WTAF.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

The mission was literally the attack on the Death Star.

Lame.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Saw it the other night. Thought it was great. That guy's review pretty much nails it. Just carries on with the same spirit, and a bunch of other words I can't think of right now that describe a good sequel. The only nod to 'the message' might be a female pilot. Perfect amount of nostalgia throughout. Iceman isn't the only returning characters that get some welcome and deserved screen time.
I'm talking about his Ninja and F14. It was odd though that his new girl lives in the same house as his old girl. But it was still cool seeing it.

Honestly, you could pick apart the first one in much the same way you could pick apart this one as they were both during the nuclear age. Countries just don't fuck with each other when they have nukes. I also saw the immediate similarities to the Star Wars trench scene. But for me F18 > X-Wing any day. Especially when filmed as superbly as this was.

I had just as much fun at this one as I did the original back in the 80's. Top Gun remains the movie I saw the most in the theaters (by a large margin). I had a strong passion for military aircraft before the movie, so when it came out, it was just like, damn. . . So, there's that for me as well. To this day, when I see military aircraft in person, I become a giddy child unable to contain himself. So these movies push the right buttons for me. I want to see it again before it leaves theaters.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one just as much.

Negative:
The ONLY thing that rubbed me the wrong way was. . . . They sent all those cruise missiles in there to take out ground targets. Why didn't they take out the mountain top SAM sites as well? Can cruise missiles not target them?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just watched it. I'm almost positive this said the strike was in Iran, not Russia?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."