Your drugs might be causing dementia

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

or... the disorders (many of them disorders of the brain) that these drugs treat are linked to dementia? I read through this and it gave no indication that they had an unmedicated control group with the same disorders. This kind of stuff just pisses me off.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: or... the disorders (many of them disorders of the brain) that these drugs treat are linked to dementia? I read through this and it gave no indication that they had an unmedicated control group with the same disorders. This kind of stuff just pisses me off.
The article on this I read said "correlated," but that was in a science sub, not CNN.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: or... the disorders (many of them disorders of the brain) that these drugs treat are linked to dementia? I read through this and it gave no indication that they had an unmedicated control group with the same disorders. This kind of stuff just pisses me off.
Well, those types of studies are hard. But it does say this
"It also highlights which types of anticholinergic drugs have the strongest associations. This is important information for physicians to know when considering whether to prescribe these drugs," she said, adding "this is an observational study so no firm conclusions can be drawn about whether these anticholinergic drugs cause dementia."
Which is entirely reasonable.

It's just saying this is something to look into more.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:It's just saying this is something to look into more.
I absolutely agree with this. But someone is kind of hyping this. Not sure if it's the press because it makes for a better (scarier) story, or the scientists doing the study because they still want to fund further studies. But when the story itself says they don't recommend not taking these drugs, I'm not sure who this serves by publishing this? Other than scientists looking for more funding, I guess.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

$$$$$
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I'm not sure who this serves by publishing this?
The study or the article?

I'm a fan of any knowledge being published and available, but I also see your point about this data being pretty marginal in usefulness. It's definitely worth being published in the science journal, to hopefully spur further studies. But much more marginal as popular news.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: I'm not sure who this serves by publishing this?
The study or the article?

I'm a fan of any knowledge being published and available, but I also see your point about this data being pretty marginal in usefulness. It's definitely worth being published in the science journal, to hopefully spur further studies. But much more marginal as popular news.
This. Agree with all this. The CNN article only serves to get people that really need these drugs to function to freak out.