Half-Life 2: Episode One - Review

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This is the future of gaming? Episodic format to your favorite games. Instead of waiting 3-10 years for a sequel, new episodes can be pushed out the door much faster especially when using different companies to make the games. For example: Valve used two different companies to make HL2:Ep1 and HL2:Ep2 thus Ep1 hit stores earlier this year while Ep2 should be out in time for the holidays. An added bonus is that with different creative teams making these games they will have different feels and looks which will help set them apart.

It's my hope that these episodes are used in place of the typical add ons. They can continue the storyline in a cheap and easy way until a full sequel hits the market.

Episode 1 comes at the cheap price of $20 and you can find it cheaper online. This is for 5-7 hours of gameplay. Maybe less for speed demons, maybe more for people who aren't the best at FPSs. Some might think it's too short, but I don't think so, remember you pay $50 for 10-14 hours in a "full sized" FPS. I think it actually works out pretty well.

The storyline here picks up immediately where HL2 ended. Only now you have to make your way back into the Citadel before trying to exit City 17. (No spoilers there, it's on the box and in every other review.)

You once again control Gordon Freeman, the baddest scientist on the planet. This time you are traveling with Alex, the hot young scientist's daughter.

Alex adds so much personality to the game this time around. She constantly has jokes or statements to make about your situation and I never heard her repeat a line once. She also has very good AI and will cover you quite effectively. Keep that in mind early on as ammo is limited. Let her do the shooting and take the damage.

To see how far Valve is taking AI, when you get to an area that's dark and you need your flashlight, try shining it at Alex and she what she does (you'll need to be out of combat). Another cool thing I noticed is that if you turn your flashlight off, she'll sometimes have a hard time seeing enemies and won't shoot them in the darkness. She'll just scream about you turning the light on. Cool stuff.

The enemies from HL2 have all returned, with only one addition, the "Zombine". He's a combine zombie (for those of you who have never played the Half-Life games, these zombies aren't like the ones in the movies) who is bigger, faster, can take more punishment, and will occasionally pull out a grenade. He won't toss the grenade, but will drop it whereever he is standing.

Physics are once again highlighted as well with the return of the gravity gun. The only way around many of the games obstacles will involve that gun. Thankfully, it also makes a decent weapon. Oh, and I should mention that you'll be taking advantage of the physics engine to fight your enemies in new ways and they will return that favor...

Ep1 sticks to the linear format in telling its story, which is fine with me because it's so entertaining. FPSs can be linear if the settings are changing, things are happening, and it's challenging. That all helps to keep the game fresh and flowing. I would label the game as having three different "scenes" in which the setting, enemies, and goals are different.

To sum up, it's the best engine on the market in terms of graphics and physics, the story is good, the gameplay is perfect, and it's got more personality that any other shooter series. I really liked that upon beating the game I was treated to a trailer for Ep2.

My only real complaint is that I was supposed to see a certain character later in the game, but never did (I assume I'll find out why in Episode 2 as I've heard he's in it.). I also get what happens to another character right in the beginning, but only because I read previews for the game. I think it could have been explained better in the cutscene. This one is key because I think it explains a lot about Gordon's situation.

Anyway, Half-Life 2:Episode 2 continues Valve's absolute dominance over all things FPS. Get it, but only after you've beaten Half-Life 2.

9 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”