Abortion

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Abortion

Post by Leisher »

Hollywood companies pulling out of Georgia due to the law.

I really don't know where I stand on this topic.

I see merit in both sides' argument. I also see hypocrisy in both sides.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Georgia's new abortion law

Post by TheCatt »

Right now, the law in the US protects abortion. I cannot see how the Ga law will stand up in court, but maybe it does with the new justices.

Fuck Georgia.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Peeps say these random, obviously illegal abortion laws are all.about getting to the supreme Court in order to overturn RvW.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Film industry got real big in Atlanta around the time we left. Had friends join the industry as technical production crew.

This could hurt Atlanta's economy pretty bad.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It could... But Netflix, for example does a lot in Georgia and has said nothing so far.

Isn't Rick and Morty in Atlanta? Or maybe I'm thinking of Archer
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Archer has the Georgia logo at the end.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Isn't Rick and Morty in Atlanta? Or maybe I'm thinking of Archer
Both I think.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Adult Swim, CNN, TBS, and more operate out of Atlanta.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

#SexStrike

Alyssa Milano is calling for all women to boycott sex with their lovers until laws like this one are gone.

She's getting backlash and support from feminists and non-feminists alike. Proof that women don't know what the fuck they want and can never agree. :D

No, but seriously, it's going to be hilarious when sentient sex dolls become socially acceptable to date.

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ironically, if unmarried women actually follow through with the sex strike, then 99% of them won't need abortions any more.

Also the spread of STDs will be way lower

Damn. Someone should have been suggesting that sex outside of marriage was risky a long time ago.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Milano is really pushing this sex strike.

I'm sure her husband isn't at all henpecked and nagged mercilessly. But at least she seems like she'd be a ton of fun in bed... *eyeroll*

I hope he's cheating on her.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If the sex.strike works, then that's evidence that pushing abstinence works.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: If the sex.strike works, then that's evidence that pushing abstinence works.
I dare you to tweet that at her. Politely.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Alabama basically outlawed abortion.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I don't think any of the film studios threatening a boycott actually do anything in Georgia. They're kind of in a catch-22. The states that are less tax happy are more conservative states. So they are the ones that offer all these tax breaks for movie studios. There's a reason they decided to do a show about a family that makes duck calls in Louisiana, and it was more than they were an interesting family.

This is an issue that the left has been steadily losing ground on for about 20 years. I think that's part of why we've seen some states making some pretty barbaric laws (looking at you New York) concerning how late in the pregnancy they can kill it. I think they know they're losing this battle.

Abby Johnson recently did a live 4D Ultrasound in Time Square earlier this month. You have to go to the pro life sites to see it, but it's pretty clear as to why the views on this issue are turning.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: This is an issue that the left has been steadily losing ground on for about 20 years.... I think they know they're losing this battle.
This isn't really true.
Vince

Post by Vince »

And yet at the same time... it is. :-)

Accurate polling on this is hard to get a good measure on. The way it's broken up in this poll, for example... illegal under any circumstance and legal only under certain circumstances. That last category is the one that's been closing the walls on the pro choice crowd. That includes the "rape and incest" canard which has been really eating up that category in the last few years. The "some circumstances" has been a narrowing window in the more exhaustive polling.

Edit to say: Also, look at the ages in these polls. The younger groups are the ones that are shifting pro life. That's a change. And not surprising. They are the group most likely to have as their first baby picture one that was in the womb.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Also, look at the ages in these polls. The younger groups are the ones that are shifting pro life. That's a change. And not surprising. They are the group most likely to have as their first baby picture one that was in the womb.
Real surprise on the 65+ crowd there.

Although, I would argue having 4 sub-populations from a survey of 1,000 people is not good data science.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:Real surprise on the 65+ crowd there.

Although, I would argue having 4 sub-populations from a survey of 1,000 people is not good data science.
I'm not terribly surprised the data group that includes the "Me Generation" that came up in the era of "Free Love" has the largest pro abortion sampling.

As far as the sampling size of the survey I posted, that was just the survey that popped up near the top of the search and seemed relevant especially since it was specific to the laws being discussed. This is not the first polling data I've seen showing the younger generation shifting significantly pro life.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have no real stance on abortion. I can point out good and bad on both sides of the issue.

That being said, I do have two questions I'd love to ask someone like Alyssa Milano:
1. If a woman gets pregnant while raping a man, does the man then get the power of deciding upon an abortion or not?
2. If a woman gets pregnant and decides to have an abortion, the man involved has ZERO say or legal recourse. However, if a woman gets pregnant and decides to have the baby, the man is financially responsible for the child whether he wants it or not. Is that "equality"? Doesn't that seem like something that should be addressed?