Avengers: Endgame. SPOILERS

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Spoiler thread!

Liked: Stark's death scene. Well written. "We're safe, you can rest.". Yes.

Did not like: Frikkin OP Captain Marvel. Her character really needs to be nerfed.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

They never really addressed why Stark and thanos were "cursed with knowledge" regarding each other. I was hoping it was some 5th dimensional chess on Strange's part. But no payoff, there.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I kind of dig how they let his failure completely sink in, before they dusted Thanos.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Liked: Stark's death scene. Well written. "We're safe, you can rest.". Yes.

Did not like: Frikkin OP Captain Marvel. Her character really needs to be nerfed.
Agree completely.

Overall, I really liked the first Avengers movie more.

Also, glad I Saw it so I can finally remove this thread from my unread list.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Enjoyed the jokes with Thor (Fortnite) and the Hulk (dabbing). I mostly liked the first 2/3 of the movie even though there was some literally gay shit (the Real Captain America would have kicked a gay out of his support group). I really do not care for the obligatory Giant CGI Battles at the end of every movie. The Girl Power Moment was especially eye-rolling.

Kind of glad it's over. Not a bad run, Marvel.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: The Girl Power Moment was especially eye-rolling.
I felt my wife's eyes roll from the next seat.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It pulled my immersion out of the movie.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The thing that bothered me was the 5 years. I didn't feel like it hit hard enough, and then it was all back too easy in the end. High-five friend!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Imagine all the people who were snapped back.... half of all people on airplanes, now plummeting to the earth. Half all of people driving, now rolling 70mph on the interstates.... getting run over by current drivers.

Not enough food for a suddenly doubled population on grocery store shelves... and not enough grocery stores left.

Worse, for peeps in africa without a quickly adaptable economy.

China just got 500,000,000 new mouths to feed. Fucked.

5 years is long enough for the civilization to adjust, and then not be able to instantly support everyone.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: 5 years is long enough for the civilization to adjust, and then not be able to instantly support everyone.
Yes, all of this.

I dunno, I guess it could all be explained away with "The infinity stones are powerful enough to fix it all!" but still
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Kind of glad it's over. Not a bad run, Marvel.
They're not done yet. The next wave will begin soon. Including a Black Widow movie, which will have to be a flashback, alternate universe, or somehow she gets saved. I mean, she said it was permanent, but Gamora came back.
TheCatt wrote: The thing that bothered me was the 5 years. I didn't feel like it hit hard enough, and then it was all back too easy in the end. High-five friend!
The Thor bit was hilarious.

However, I felt the plan was the biggest failure of the movie. They basically caused a lot of heartbreak/problems to save one person. They, literally, put the needs of the one before the needs of the many. That was very un-Marvel-like. It 100% fit Tony Stark's character, but not Cap's. Let's say Gordon's thoughts are correct. How many people died to keep one little girl alive who Tony and Pepper could have simply made again?

So now the question becomes, is it really the end of this story or does it start to become clear that they fucked up and they need to fix it again?
TheCatt wrote: Overall, I really liked the first Avengers movie more.
I did too, but that had the advantage of never happening previously. I also liked Infinity War more. However, like I said, this felt like Kill Bill 2. IW was Kill Bill 1, all style and combat. This was more about resolution and feels. It was a perfect bookend, but this was not the best of the series.
thibodeaux wrote: I really do not care for the obligatory Giant CGI Battles at the end of every movie. The Girl Power Moment was especially eye-rolling.
Loved the ones in IW, but this one was particularly bad. It looked "dirty" and confused. I couldn't keep track of anything going on. And yes, the girl power thing was really stupid as a viewer. Equality doesn't mean being highlighted where others are not. However, in terms of business, it was smart. Girls want to be invested in the product as well.
GORDON wrote: Did not like: Frikkin OP Captain Marvel. Her character really needs to be nerfed.
One thing Marvel always does with their OP characters is have them become corrupt and then a hero has to kill them. That may end up being the story line in the next phase. Remember, the original plan for Avengers is that the Hulk would become the bad guy. (And the possibility that World Breaker Hulk or Maestro show up is still in play.)

I found it really hard to get into Captain Marvel. I know what's she's like in real life, and it makes me tune out when she turns up. I'm glad they had Thanos eliminate her quite easily late in the fight.

Seeing it again Sunday with my nephew. I look forward to being able to focus on more stuff the second time around.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: but Gamora came back.
Past Gamora is in future world. That's why she's not in love with Quill.
Leisher wrote: is it really the end of this story or does it start to become clear that they fucked up and they need to fix it again?
God I hope not. That's just a messy messy drama there.
Leisher wrote: I did too, but that had the advantage of never happening previously. I also liked Infinity War more.
Yes, both of those were better than this.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: Kind of glad it's over. Not a bad run, Marvel.
They're not done yet. The next wave will begin soon.
Nope, it's over. No more Marvel movies. So sad. Also Stan Lee is dead, so how can they have a Marvel Movie without a cameo?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Past Gamora is in future world. That's why she's not in love with Quill.
That's right.
TheCatt wrote: God I hope not. That's just a messy messy drama there.
I kind of hope they do because the more I think about it, the less I liked the resolution to the Thanos story..
thibodeaux wrote: Nope, it's over. No more Marvel movies. So sad.
Ha! Could you imagine a world where a movie makes $1.5B opening weekend and then they never make more?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I for welcome our new Stronk Wymyn of Color MCU
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Check the Spider-Man: Far From Home thread.

How the hell did I forget about the multiverse? They don't need to course correct again, they can simply grab Iron Man, Captain America, etc. from another reality if needed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: How the hell did I forget about the multiverse?
The thing I hate about the multiverse is that it means things don't really have consequences... again.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: How the hell did I forget about the multiverse?
The thing I hate about the multiverse is that it means things don't really have consequences... again.
As I understand it, your life only doesn't have consequences if you live in a microverse or a teenyverse...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I totally missed Howard the Duck being in the final fight scene.

I did catch the two Community actors.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I didn't notice any of that.

Why didn't Cap want to tell Sam about the girl?

Also, how many Skrulls do you think there are in the Marvel Universe?