The Polar Vortex

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by Leisher »

It's cold here right now. -7 actual dropping to -15 tonight. Wind chill brings the "feels like" temp down to -33.

Walked into work this morning and thought, "This isn't so bad." Once inside I noticed the difference. The cold my body was experiencing didn't just immediately disappear when I entered the building. It hung around for a few minutes. That was really odd. Others noticed the same sensation. I guess that explains why they tell you that you don't realize the damage being done by cold until it's too late.

Went to Chili's for lunch. Half their staff called off with cars that wouldn't start. I've been walking out and starting mine every 90 minutes.

Tonight will be the real deal. 24 hours of continued temps under 0 and wind chills pushing it lower. We're supposed to get to -15 tonight with wind chills anywhere from -40 to -50.

Meanwhile, the primary AC unit in my server room has failed. It's too cold out for the compressor to operate. The backup is working, but for how long?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by TheCatt »

Brutal.
Leisher wrote: Meanwhile, the primary AC unit in my server room has failed. It's too cold out for the compressor to operate. The backup is working, but for how long?
Just crack a window?

I was in Ontario for this storm many years ago
. On January 16th, Scarborough, Ontario, recorded an all-time record low temperature of −35.2 °C (−31.4 °F),[18] several degrees colder than the official coldest record for Toronto,[19] which Scarborough is now a part of. The city of Toronto itself dropped to −31 °C (−24 °F)... The cold air was also accompanied by large snowfalls, with 50 centimeters (20 inches) falling on the western side of Lake Ontario.
I was in Toronto and Scarborough. Honestly, being a kid from the South it was pretty awesome. But I had to buy some new clothes, but the snow drifts were awesome.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Just crack a window?
Unfortunately, it's a server room. No windows.

Even if there were windows, I'd have to time it right to avoid boosting the moisture in the air and causing other problems.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Unfortunately, it's a server room. No windows.
Cut a hole in the roof?
GORDON
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by GORDON »

Winter air is usually very dry. But that doesn't create a window for you to open.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

The Polar Vortex

Post by Cakedaddy »

Open the front doors, then the door to the server room. Close all other doors.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by GORDON »

Pull the firestop out of the conduits going under the floor. Small fan. Suck up the cold air from under the room.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by TheCatt »

Reverse the polarity and supercharge the trust mechanisms
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by GORDON »

I'm outside grilling deer steak with bare feet, so my socks don't get wet.

NBD.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Winter air is usually very dry.
True, but is still allows moisture in where it is currently blocked.
Cakedaddy wrote: Open the front doors, then the door to the server room. Close all other doors.
Thought about that, but I'd need to tarp off some hallways to make it efficient.
GORDON wrote: Pull the firestop out of the conduits going under the floor. Small fan. Suck up the cold air from under the room.
Too little air would come in, plus critters.
TheCatt wrote: Reverse the polarity and supercharge the trust mechanisms
Then they're have to fire me and my cohort and hire women to replace us. Then they'd be less funny and if called on it, the company would face discrimination lawsuits.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by GORDON »

Tweak the P-Ram. Glaze the
Troy

The Polar Vortex

Post by Troy »

Have you tried turning it on and off again?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Have you tried turning it on and off again?
This guy ITs
Cakedaddy

The Polar Vortex

Post by Cakedaddy »

Yes. It works for a second, then stops again.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote:

Yes. It works for a second, then stops again.
I noticed that too. That guy does NOT IT.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by Leisher »

For the idiots that always wear shorts.

Went to Panera last night to grab salads and a diet coke for my wife. I was in the drive thru.

The lady filled the coke and then set it down on the metal shelf that extends from inside the store to outside the window. It was so cold that for the 3 seconds it sat there while she snapped on the lid, the cup froze to the metal, and when removed there was a ring of ice where it had sat.

Almost every restaurant in the city was closed last night and I've never seen so many broken down cars.
thibodeaux

The Polar Vortex

Post by thibodeaux »

2019-01-31.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Polar Vortex

Post by TheCatt »

Would
Vince

The Polar Vortex

Post by Vince »

Hadn't considered an A/C problem, but probably so few A/C's are running that's why. Kind of wild that the outside air is so cold that the coolant is more compressed in the condenser than in the evaporator. How many doors are in the server room?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren