NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: ESPN says ooops.
Wow, talk about your typos. We're a little sheepish here at College Football Experts, Inc. It turns out that our season-long discussion about whether the best team this season belonged among the best teams in history focused on the wrong team. Editors, please replace three months' worth of "Alabama" with "Clemson."

"There was a lot of talk about the 'best ever' all year long," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said. "We were never in that conversation. Tonight there was no doubt."
This is everything wrong with ESPN and the CFP. Clemson won against Bama so this must be the best team EVAR!!!! Ridiculous. Bama was grossly overrated as was the entire SEC. They were tied at halftime with DII The Citadel.

And that's not taking away from Clemson who was awesome last night. However, they should have lost at Syracuse and won because Cuse fucked up, not because Clemson was superior. The MSM is always so quick to hype up what's now just to get eyeballs. The fact that ESPN completely flip flopped here proves it.
TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Like pretty much every other coach since football started?

You have an incumbent starter. It's his job until it's not. This wasn't Brady taking over for injured Bledsoe. This was platooning your incumbent with a freshman. If you need to evaluate, do so in camp. That's why it's there. Incumbents should lose their jobs there OR if they're failing on the field, you pull them.

You don't go in and intentionally sabotage someone by platooning them.

This forces Bryant to transfer in the middle of the season when his options will be severely limited. It's the same shit as oversigning, just more insidious, because instead of letting a kid leave to pursue other opportunities, you're essentially trying to trap them in your system via no options to leave.
So... that worked out for Clemson pretty well.
Which was my point...? Clemson fucked Bryant over. But I guess they won the title so good for them? Not sure what your point is?

#RollTears
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

OSU stealing TTUN's LB coach.

He's a Columbus native, his dad played for OSU, and he has a history with Day.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: But
You had made a point it would hurt their recruiting, but I think winning it all helps more than the fallout
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Dabo Swinney, greatest coach since Nick Saban?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

"We'd been running it in practice a lot, and we were going to run it if we had the right look, and we got the look that we wanted," Bulovas said. "We were down by a couple scores at that time, so we were trying to create a spark in the first place."
I find the first half of that statement hard to swallow given how the defense lined up here:
That is not a FG-defense.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: But
You had made a point it would hurt their recruiting, but I think winning it all helps more than the fallout
I don't see that in what you quoted. And honestly, we won't know. If I was a parent of an athlete considering Clemson, it's something I would be thinking about. Along with three guys who, in the coach's words, "aren't friends", all testing positive for the same PEDs...

But I also agree with your point about winning erasing some of that. It will, but only to a point. Bama has been losing recruits far more often recently because they are so overloaded with weak ass people wanting to jump on the bandwagon.

There's also something to be said for Bama players' downgrading by NFL scouts.
TheCatt wrote: That is not a FG-defense.
No it is not.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't see that in what you quoted
Here we go
Dabo Swinney did not handle this well, and I assure you that other people will use this situation against him in recruiting.
People don't aspire to play for BC. They want to be on the winning team, but play for BC because Clemson + Bama + OSU won't take them.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: People don't aspire to play for BC.
Sure people do, just not most people.
TheCatt wrote: They want to be on the winning team, but play for BC because Clemson + Bama + OSU won't take them.
True, however it WILL be used against him on the recruiting trail. Just like opposing recruiters will tell every potential QB for the next two years that Lawrence is the starter there, so you shouldn't bother going there. Follow some recruiting news, shit these people say about their opposition is crazy. Anything they can attack, they will.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sure people do, just not most people.
I'm going 90% rule here. Also, we're too far past anyone having seen the Doug Flute miracle as a kid.
Leisher wrote: Just like opposing recruiters will tell every potential QB for the next two years that Lawrence is the starter there, so you shouldn't bother going there. Follow some recruiting news, shit these people say about their opposition is crazy. Anything they can attack, they will.
Sure.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I'm going 90% rule here.
I'd say 90% of athletes in their prime, sure. I'm an old and broken athlete and I'd love to play for BC. :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I'm going 90% rule here.
I'd say 90% of athletes in their prime, sure. I'm an old and broken athlete and I'd love to play for BC. :D
My high school was too small to have a football team, but we had a junior - senior game each year, and I was pretty good (again, small school, the standards weren't high). My HS girlfriend went to an academically minded university that was D3 in sports (Wesleyan University in CT, where Bill Belichik went). I visited one weekend and we went to see the football team play. She got annoyed cuz I kept asking if I could just walk onto the football field and play. I really think I could have contributed.

Maybe I would have turned into Bill Belichik Jr? :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Maybe I would have turned into Bill Belichik Jr?
But...he wasn't an athlete...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Maybe I would have turned into Bill Belichik Jr?
But...he wasn't an athlete...
I'm confused, you know he played for Wesleyan, right?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I'm confused, you know he played for Wesleyan, right?
I know he played something, somewhere.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

That's a year late.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

True, but he didn't know that at the time.

And to be fair, neither did his coaches.

We should be seeing a similar story about Tate Martell or Justin Fields before summer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: True, but he didn't know that at the time.
I felt like that championship game was a pretty fucking big clue.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

ESPN predictions for next year.: http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... all-season
Mack Brown and Les Miles won't go bowling

Brown and Miles came out of retirement to take over big rebuilding jobs at North Carolina and Kansas, respectively.

Brown, who turns 68 four days before the Aug. 31 opener against South Carolina in Charlotte, North Carolina, inherits a team that went 2-9 in 2018. Seven of UNC's nine losses were by 10 points or fewer, including two in overtime.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Best OSU wishes Rutgers weren't in the Big Ten now. Ah well, everyone has a bad night.

Also, the PAC-12, are they a mid-major now? ZERO teams in the basketball top 25.