Diet and Exercise

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Today I learned.

That being said, on that advice I bought some "high fiber" tortillas, only 5g net carbs, after fiber is subtracted. I figured would be good for tuna wraps and fajitas.
I tried one of those, and I think it kicked me out of ketosis so never again
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Resting heart rate was 55 today.
34 pounds lost, resting heart rate down to 54. Slowly but surely.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

I'm down about 18 since thanksgiving.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Holy damn.

So my current contests weigh-ins are tomorrow. I did a second round of 4% loss contests, back-to-back. NBD.

By Thanksgiving I'd gained a lot of weight. Not my max of a few years ago, but I was up there. SO I started paying attention, screwed up my determination, and started losing. No particular diet, just started cutting down portions, and paying a little bit of attention to carb intake. NBD.

So, last week before the Georgia roadtrip, I was .9 pounds from the contest goal weight, with a week to go. I didn't do as well on the diet during all the driving, but I kept to diet drinks, and I always skipped the french fries. I was probably doing ok. Before I had a chance to step on the scale when I got back the 24th, 5 days before contest deadline, I got that flu for a day, and fasted, more or less. And puked a lot. The day after THAT, I got on the scale and saw I was 2 pounds from goal, 4 days to contest end. Whatever I gained on the roadtrip, I pretty much lost on that sick day. No prob.

But that day after being sick, my body felt really off, and I assumed that while recovering I probably shouldn't keep fasting. I was craving a egg and cheese sandwich, so I ate one. Ate about 75% of it. That night, I had about 12 ounces of steak, and rice. Lots of protein, and even with the rice carbs I was still probably negative calories, for the day. I figured I was fine.

But.... I also drank a shitload of water, that day. Getting over being dehydrated. And I think my body held on to all that water, because this morning, the day before contest end, I have to lose 3 pounds.

I guess I'm fasting, today. Goddammit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

On the other hand, not eating cuts way down on the grocery bill.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I guess I'm fasting, today. Goddammit
3 lbs is nothing. You can sweat that out in an hour.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, if I felt motivated enough to go to the gym...

Motivation is easier when I'm taking the kid to school in the morning, since I'm already up and about, and literally drive right by it on the way back from the school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Yeah, if I felt motivated enough to go to the gym...

Motivation is easier when I'm taking the kid to school in the morning, since I'm already up and about, and literally drive right by it on the way back from the school.
Seal yourself in a small room, do jumping jacks, or turn up the heat, borrow your chicken's heater temporarily, etc :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

What a day.

I fasted. As of now I still haven't had a bite to eat since Thursday. Friday was miserable, kept myself busy with housework. Also learned I can't edit a book for shit, on an empty stomach. Took forever to get through a chapter, and I probably did a piss-poor job.

Anyway, diet contest ended at 3am this morning, I was going to check my weight when I got up this morning, 8:30ish. I'd technically still have 24 hours to submit my final weigh-ins, so I knew I had some wiggle room if I still needed to drop half a pound. Worse comes to worse, I would go swim a mile Saturday morning, THEN weigh-in. I usually sweat a pound while swimming.

Anyway, I check my weight, and I just squeeked by. I did my intial "full body picture," which I had to do with video/screenshot since I'm still alone. Took the vid, went to my desk to screenshot/edit, a calendar reminder pops up, "Zoo dive in 45 minutes." It takes 20 to get there. It takes 20 to gear up. I'm not packed up, because I thought I was diving tomorrow.

Fuck.

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue fast, because now I don't have time to finish the weigh-in pics, and I can't eat before the dive because I'm too close to the goal, and a tuna wrap would put me back over my weight. Fuuuuuck.

Anyway, I rush to the zoo. Get there on time. They say, "What are you doing here?" My calendar was wrong, I AM diving tomorrow. Well shit. But while I was there anyway I asked if they needed a hand, so I helped them mount a new rock in the Gulf of Mexico tank. That's the one with Tink the Molesting Turtle. Was fun. Didn't get light headed, fortunately.

So I was there a couple hours, came home, and just did final weigh-ins, even lighter than I was this morning due to the semi-strenuous activity at the zoo.

And I'd love to have a tuna wrap. Even a bologna sammitch sounds like a feast, at the moment. But they gotta verify my weight, first. Could be hours.

Sigh.

I got some killer willpower, though, when I want to.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Well, those contests were kind of lame. WHen I doubled my money on the first two bets, I got my hopes up (that no one else would win and I'd pocket the $59k and placed a couple bigger bets. But that $70 only paid out 120. Not even double.

But, the original $50 turned into $145, in two months. So, winner.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Well, those contests were kind of lame. WHen I doubled my money on the first two bets, I got my hopes up (that no one else would win and I'd pocket the $59k and placed a couple bigger bets. But that $70 only paid out 120. Not even double.

But, the original $50 turned into $145, in two months. So, winner.
$$ is $$.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

Mediterranean Diet named best diet for the 1 millionth time.
The high accolades are not surprising, as numerous studies found the diet can reduce the risk for diabetes, high cholesterol, dementia, memory loss, depression and breast cancer. Meals from the sunny Mediterranean region have also been linked to stronger bones, a healthier heart and longer life. Oh, and weight loss, too.

The diet features simple, plant-based cooking, with the majority of each meal focused on fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans and seeds, with a few nuts and a heavy emphasis on extra virgin olive oil. Say goodbye to refined sugar and flour except on rare occasions. Fats other than olive oil, such as butter, are consumed rarely, if at all.
I've been putting olive oil on my steak, does that count? I do eat lots of veggies, but not a wide selection of them. My daily salad has a handful of nuts.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Say goodbye to refined sugar and flour except on rare occasions.
Pretty much the key to most diets.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
Say goodbye to refined sugar and flour except on rare occasions.
Pretty much the key to most diets.
Right? I almost bolded that part, since it's so common to good, healthy eating. Like how much is just due to that?

My plan: Veggies + nuts, meats + fat. Sometimes fake sugar things for desserts
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

So I signed up for 3 DietBet challenges, but kinda forgot I'd be in Boston for the weight-outs (I did the +1 month math, not + 4 weeks). So I had to bring my scale. And figure out how to arrange my phone on a stack of furniture to take a selfie.

But I got my weight verified.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

I just made a video of myself weighing out, and screen captured it.

That was my kid's idea.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I just made a video of myself weighing out, and screen captured it.

That was my kid's idea.
Would still have the same issue of positioning the thing. Typically I have a kid take a picture.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Just leaned it against the protein powder, on the kitchen counter. Try that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Just leaned it against the protein powder, on the kitchen counter. Try that.
Step 1: build a kitchen counter in my hotel room, across from the bathroom, which is the only hard-tile floor in the room.

Step 2: Move in, I guess?