Divinity: Original Sin 2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I guess i'll start a new thread for this game because the game is awesome.

I won't go into to much detail about how awesome i think it is because if no one ever plays it then it won't matter to you.

Anyways Cake mentioned that i was getting a head start by playing the game and Leisher did say something about purchasing the game before the Steam sale ends, but i'm not sure if we were ever going to multi this game. I know how a few of you have reservations about playing a game like this with someone that might have played it before and i can understand that.

i guess i'm willing to pause my playthrough if you think it would be a deal breaker for a multi play, but prolly not too long, i wanna play it cause its really fun to play even solo.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

only 45 mins left in the Steam winter sale. Pickup this game if you think you might be interested in it, i highly recommend it.

Heres the PC gamer review of the game, goes over pretty much everything about it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/divinity-original-sin-2-review/
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Purchased and installed.

I am in NO rush to play this game. I'm fine waiting to see if we can get a group going to go through it, ala our D&D campaign.

I'm fine playing whatever class.

My only concern would be that I can hear dialogue and follow the story. Plus, I want to do whatever side missions we find because we need the XP/items, and sometimes those are the best missions in a game.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: My only concern would be that I can hear dialogue and follow the story.
This game is a little different on how the co-op works from the traditional RPG, each character has their own goals and quests they need to accomplish. Sometimes this will clash with the others in your group and it can make for some interesting dynamics. Now i haven't played this game co-op and am not very far into the game but even in solo play there are conversations with NPCs that i need each character to talk to because they will have a something different to say to that particular character. So if i was having a conversation with one NPC you wouldn't really be missing out on anything because when you talked to that same NPC your story may take different directions depending on your player.
Larian has also subverted the party dynamic quite a bit. Companions not only assist you while undertaking their own personal quests, they are ultimately your competition, each the chosen hero for their respective divine sponsor. This has an even greater impact in co-op, with each player capable of screwing over their three allies. While you’re shopping or fighting, they might be growing in power, waiting to betray you.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: This has an even greater impact in co-op, with each player capable of screwing over their three allies. While you’re shopping or fighting, they might be growing in power, waiting to betray you.
Yeah, this sounds like a great game for you all :P
It's not me, it's someone else.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Yeah, this sounds like a great game for you all

haha, yeah for sure someone is bound to get butt hurt.

key word here is "capable".. you can pretty much do anything you want.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Day 1, I'm making a pact with the other two to take Stranger out on Day 2. He would be the first to turn on the group.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: He would be the first to turn on the group.
That isn't the most "out there" prediction.

His D&D character has proven he might be clinically insane. Who shoves gems into their eye holes?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Cakedaddy wrote: Day 1, I'm making a pact with the other two to take Stranger out on Day 2. He would be the first to turn on the group.
...Not if I kill you on day 1. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I only said day 2 so you would THINK it was going to be day 2. . . .
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

i just read Leisher's review of the Witcher 3 and he said something about being a baddie and watching people die cause that must be how i play every game :twisted: . But i'll say this, i've got about 25 hours into this game right now and i've yet to steal one item or kill one innocent and this game totally lends itself into feeding into your dark side if you so wish to.

I did once attempt to teleport a piece of equipment into a spot that this guy wouldn't see it and then take it but i think maybe someone else saw this and it ended up with me killing his whole gang. But this dude totally had it coming to him, so i didn't see this as stealing. More of seeing what i could get away with before the inevitable fight.

So i'm not always wanting to see innocent blood spilled, just sometimes..
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: i just read Leisher's review of the Witcher 3 and he said something about being a baddie and watching people die cause that must be how i play every game .
I laughed. I was just making a D&D joke.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Thought i would talk about this game a little bit since i'm probably about 50 or so hours into it. Don't worry, no spoilers.

So even though i'm 50 hours in, i'm probably only 30% through the game. I know there are 4 acts and i'm maybe halfway through the second as of now. A lot of my time has been spent managing the inventory, armor and weapons of 4 characters. I've got one member that has a high bargaining skill so he gets the highest discounts on anything i buy and gets the most in return for anything he sells. So i try and give all my extra junk to him so i can maximize my profits and this takes some time.

There is a shit ton of items to sort through and sell, it would take a lot less time if you were managing only 1 player like say in co-op. But you need to get all the gold you can because there is always some sweet armor or weapon that someone in your party could use and you just never have the funds to buy it all. Of course you could try and steal or kill to get the goods but your asking for trouble. I've found the occasional opportunistic pickpocket on the right victim is the best way, at least for my party make up. I'm not running with a true thief in my group.

Speaking on group make up. You can choose from 6(?) premade characters in the beginning of the game called origin characters or create your own. Even with the origin characters you can choose any class you wanna play and there are 15. The point of choosing an origin character is that they will have more story options throughout the game and they all end up having their own quests they wanna fulfill and that makes for some interesting group dynamics as the game goes on. I made my own character and i'm not really sure how this changes things but he has his own quests hes trying to accomplish too. You end up coming across all the origin characters pretty early in the game and they can become your companions and you get to choose their class, or you can go it alone if you truly wish.

Cool thing about your classes you choose, you can change it at any time. My main is a battlemage, but i can make him a tank cleric at anytime if i wanna respec. The items you come across and the spell/ability books you decide to learn and who you give them to will kinda dictate the direction you might wanna take with your character. Its really cool and makes it easy to set up your party exactly the way you wanna fight with them, because the fights can be pretty unforgiving and you need the party to be working together. i know i've had to change up a things a few times because a character just felt generally ineffective.

So i'm trying to figure out how the whole co-op game would work. Since i can tell that each character has their own story lines and quests they wanna fulfill through out the campaign, when your in co-op how would this work out? Well, i'm pretty sure the game plays like everyone is basically playing from the beginning simultaneously. Say i talk to someone with my character something may or may not come of it because of my race, background or whatever i choose to say to that NPC and then the next person can talk to the same NPC and get a completely different outcome. So its not like someone would be missing out on a conversation because the next person got to them first. But you can see when someone is talking to someone else and freely listen in on their conversation, so thats cool too. I'm just not sure how this would work when you get to pivital points in the story.

I could go on about plenty of more things but its getting to the end of the work day so i've gotta wrap it up. Its probably the most fun i've had in an RPG in ages, so many secrets to find, different ways to go about solving a situation, items to sort through, great tactical combat, and every single conversation is fully voice acted, its wonderfully done. Like i said, im maybe 30-40% of the way through and im sure there are lots more surprises in store. Any time you guys wanna play this one i'll be good to go for sure.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Oh yeah, and there's a thing called Game Master mode, you can basically build and run your own campaign. There's also tons of these to download in the Steam community store that others have made.

I haven't even opened this game mode yet, but damn that's something different.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Steam sale is live, so you can get this for $30.. just do yourself a favor and get it already.

Plus i think this sale gives everyone $5 off a cart total of $30 or more, even better deal.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Anybody wanna multi this game? I've been dying to try this game co-op. cmon, somebody.. please... :D :D :D
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

IF I don't leave town tonight, and since we're not dungeon exploring, I'd be down to try this or Raft.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

awesome! i should be on later tonight
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Heading to a dinner out of town shortly. If I'm on later, I returned to town. If not, we'll try for next weekend.

(Should I pre-make characters?)
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Nah, no need to make any characters yet. You can freely respec one you get to a certain point in the game.

Let me know if you get home tonight.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!