Aquaman

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by GORDON »

DC.

I feel like everything about this movie gets graded a C+. Acting, dialogue, writing, SFX, story. All C+. Nothing inspired, nothing makes you say "aww wow." Just a mediocre, C+ movie in every way.

It felt long, during. Not a good sign.

But probably really good, for a DC movie.

I liked WW better.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by GORDON »

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this movie.

I think the editing may have been a problem, too. There was more than one dark beat to the story, when the actors should have been more brooding, or upset, or at least pensive. But no.... one character suffers a bad defeat, and has no reaction to it. Just quip quip quip funny line.

Nobody really seemed to care about shit, in spite of their lines that said they rly rly did care, hard.

Ugh.
Vince

Aquaman

Post by Vince »

Is there a move now to change the comic character from being a blond headed white guy?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Aquaman

Post by Vince »

Wife and I watched this. While I agree that WW was better, this was an excellent film. I think the Marvel bias hurt it.I would place it behind the Batman films and WW, but a solid film. I think it relied too much on the special effects, but that's a Marvel artifact as well and just something we're going to have to live with until it runs its course.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by GORDON »

I just wasn't excited by it, and I don't know why. No desire to ever see it again.
Leisher
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Is there a move now to change the comic character from being a blond headed white guy?
Not that I am aware of...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by Leisher »

Finally saw this one, and I've got to be honest, this was an amazingly bad movie. Take away women wanting to bang Jason Momoa and there's no way this isn't a flop in the theaters.

Everything was subpar like Gordon pointed out. The acting and dialogue were laughably bad throughout. I felt like I was watching an 80s superhero film, and this turd included a fucking montage set to music!

Momoa was just terrible, but I don't blame him. He acted his ass off as Drogo, but here James Wan had him badly delivering quips and simply posing throughout every scene. I wish Whedon or Snyder had been brought in to fix this film because they clearly had Momoa delivering a better Aquaman performance than Wan.

And what's with the writing? They gave nothing depth. Every scene boiled down to "this is our way" or "our legends are true", but none of these things were ever explained prior to the story needing them. It was like they wrote the film scene by scene and just made everything up along the way.

How do you make William fucking Dafoe a boring, one dimensional character? Apparently have James Wan direct him.

Kevin Smith has been offered multiple superhero films, and he always turned them down because they didn't match his style. He knew he would suck at making it unless people wanted the superheros to sit down and talk about Star Wars for two hours. I never really understood why he wouldn't even consider trying it until now. He understood and respected his limits. Wan doesn't get it, and his "make up the rules as you go along" horror experiences are on full display here.

And is it now a DC trademark for the good guys to kiss surrounded by corpses and/or people dying? The criticism of DC vs Marvel has always been "gods vs real people", and that's never been so apparent. Sorry you can't be bothered to save the world at this moment your highness, but maybe you can stop sucking face long enough to maybe not let your countrymen get eaten to death?

Terrible film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by Leisher »

I felt like they were really kind because the writers of the movie joined them, but it's still pretty obvious they're dissing the writing.

https://youtu.be/ltX3WHGaTDY
GORDON
Site Admin

Aquaman

Post by GORDON »

Yep, still agree. This is the DC movie that made the most money for some reason, but it's the one I actively dislike.