California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Is your company headquartered in California? If so, you must have a woman on your board or face penalties.

Private businesses being told by the government who they can and cannot hire/promote. Progress!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

How are there any businesses left in that state?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

when i was there everything was expensive... they are passing the cost of government on to the consumers.

didn't even have free drink refills in restaurants. fuck that state.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: How are there any businesses left in that state?
I assume because high members of the ownerships groups/boards don't want to move and aren't affected personally by the "tax the fuck out of people and corporations" laws.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: How are there any businesses left in that state?
I assume because high members of the ownerships groups/boards don't want to move and aren't affected personally by the "tax the fuck out of people and corporations" laws.
I'm just wondering from a "how do we keep doing business with all this regulation?" angle.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Troy

Post by Troy »

I keep telling people to leave but they don’t. It’s definitely not because I want their apartments though.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I bet you could get something cheap in that highrise that's falling over... the Millennium?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Trump and Cali Gov in pissing match on Twitter over Cali owing $3.5B to the feds.

As CNN tends to do, the truth of the article is buried at the end. Right now, Cali doesn't own anything, but in 2022 it very well could be held to the fire for that 3.5 billion.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I recently learned "Female Family Annihilators" was a phrase.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I really don't understand why people wouldn't want the whole country to be run like SF.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw this quote from a legit source in an article on an untrustworthy site I was exposed to by a right wing uncle's FB post:
A Republican governor, Pete Wilson, who served from 1991-1999, issued a warning during his term that the flood of illegal immigrants into the state was going to create huge problems. He spearheaded Proposition 187, which would have prevented illegal aliens from using social services. It passed a popular vote in the state, but was predictably declared unconstitutional by a federal court and his successor, Democrat Gray Davis, refused to appeal….
I'm very curious how that was ruled unconstitutional? A mandate by the legal citizens overruled because of the rights for a group of non-citizens?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

From Wikipedia
he constitutionality of Proposition 187 was challenged by several lawsuits. On November 11, 1994, three days after the bill's passage, Federal Judge W. Matthew Byrne issued a temporary restraining order against institution of the measure, which was filed by State Attorney General Dan Lungren.[27] After Judge Mariana Pfaelzer issued a permanent injunction of Proposition 187 in December 1994, blocking all provisions except those dealing with higher education and false documents, multiple cases were consolidated and brought before the federal court. In November 1997, Pfaelzer found the law to be unconstitutional on the basis that it infringed on the federal government's exclusive jurisdiction over matters relating to immigration.[28] Pfaelzer also explained that Proposition 187's effect on the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, the Congressional overhaul of the American welfare system, proved that the bill was a "scheme" to regulate immigration:

"California is powerless to enact its own legislative scheme to regulate immigration. It is likewise powerless to enact its own legislative scheme to regulate alien access to public benefits."[29]

Governor Wilson appealed the ruling, which brought the case to the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. But in 1999, the newly elected Democratic Governor Gray Davis had the case brought before mediation.[30] His administration withdrew the appeal before the courts in July 1999, effectively killing the law.[31]

California repealed the unenforceable sections of Proposition 187 in 2014.[32] In September 2014, California passed a bill, SB 396, that removes those sections from California's education, health and safety, and welfare codes, as a symbolic act after the repeal of Prop.187. Bill author Kevin de León said this "closes a dark chapter in our state’s history, and brings dignity and respect to the national immigration debate."[33]
Wow... and double wow.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The fact that state is in such good shape both culturally and financially really proves how right these people are about
TheCatt wrote: a dark chapter in our state’s history, and brings dignity and respect to the national immigration debate.
Now if California had a homeless problem, water shortages, corporations leaving in droves due to overreaching tax laws, insane property taxes and prices, millions of illegals living off of the state, and were on the brink of bankruptcy almost non-stop, then maybe the other side of this issue would be right, but that's just not the case is it?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The fact that state is in such good shape both culturally and financially really proves how right these people are about
TheCatt wrote: a dark chapter in our state’s history, and brings dignity and respect to the national immigration debate.
Now if California had a homeless problem, water shortages, corporations leaving in droves due to overreaching tax laws, insane property taxes and prices, millions of illegals living off of the state, and were on the brink of bankruptcy almost non-stop, then maybe the other side of this issue would be right, but that's just not the case is it?
On the other hand, I hear the weather is really nice. Also, Troy moved there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If people were genuinely honest about the issue, particularly in this specific state, they'd admit that rich people didn't want to give up their cheap laborers either for their homes and/or companies, and thus, Davis killed the measure. So the tax payer was stuck with the bill while the rich folks profited.

Knowing it wasn't sustainable, these same folks have turned it into a "humanitarian" issue and labeled people against it as "monsters" and racists and whatnot. That silences the opposition. Same tactic being used across the political spectrum currently.

Now they're also trying to turn these illegals into votes.

The founding fathers would not be pleased.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

LA has a homeless crisis.
We found out on Tuesday that although the city and county spent $600 million last year to chip away at the number of homeless people, the total increased by 16% to nearly 60,000.
This might sound crazy, but perhaps throwing money at the problem isn't a good strategy?