Swimming

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Going to write an email later calling them all.retards, then look at my alternatives. Maybe I can get there at 6am, or something.

I need to.cardio hard for the next month to survive Arizona hiking in July.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I just realized my YMCA membership works at every Y in my Ohio. Currently just got done swimming laps at one that's a bit out of my way, but very much nicer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Nice! The ones here at least let you go anywhere in the area, unsure about the entire state though.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

This new one is in a better part of town and has TOWEL SERVICE.

Sheesh.

I swam a mile, then went up to the fitness center... also bigger and newer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Ugh. I could not for the life of me figure out how my 1/2 mile swim this morning had been so slow (1:58 pace/100)... Turns out I mis-entered 800 yards into Strava instead of 900 yards at 15:45. That puts me at 1:45 pace, which is much more what I would have expected.

Current goal: 30:00 mile. Next goal: 27:30 mile
Well, 1 year later I'm back in the pool. I never hit those goals. I tore something in my wrist in September rock-climbing, took me a long time to get back. Then I got fat + lazy.

Swam 5x100s this morning with a 50 cooldown. It was horrifically slow. With rest, 1:48 pace. Ugh. Also, I'm too fat for my swimsuit, so I had to wear a baggy one. So it's like wearing a dragsuit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I very much want to transfer my workouts to 60/40 swim/lifting, instead of.the opposite I do now. I'm at my strength goals, more or.less, so.i want to switch to cardio and flexibility.

But the Y I still dicking with the summer pool.schedule, so no.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

I did my 100s on the 1:41/1:42 today, but damn my arms... they kept burning part way through each lap.

Probably as I also quit eating carbs isn't helping, but damn.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I did 100 miles in 2017, and it really burned me out. Even with earbuds, laps for an hour are monotonous.

In 2018 I've been pretty slack. The indoor pool was closed through the summer, and lap swimming in the outside pool was competing for lane space with all the local high school swim teams which the Y didn't seem to think was a problem when they'd be 8 deep in a lane. So I wasn't swimming.

But I've been doing about 1 day a week, otherwise, just making sure I don't go backwards TOO much on my cardio. I started wearing my swim watch again recently, and I'm still doing a mile in about 37 minutes, without breathing hard. For me, that's decent. I'm swimming 45 minutes per session, total.

Today I decided to mix it up a little... I'm going to learn to breath on both sides. Before today, I was a right-side-only breather. I think I'll get 33% more efficient strokes if I alternate left/right, with a full set of non-breathe strokes in between. So for the first 10 minutes today, I was doing that, and it feels super awkward, and half the time I was getting a mouthful of water. Ugh. I just gotta build up the muscle memory over a couple weeks, then it'll be easy.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Second day breathing left and right. Doing better. I'm not in peak shape, but I'm approaching peak-shape-numbers.

I think last year when I was doing 100 miles in 2017, my least number of strokes per length was 12. With improving my breathing left-and-right, I did an avg of 11, this morning, and my form is still all sloppy. I bet I'm down to 10 pretty soon.... but I'm going to miss a few weeks in the pool over xmas break when the stupid swim teams are hogging all the lanes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Just checked my 2017 records on the garmin site, and yes, my best average strokes in 2017 was 12/length. And today I did 11 without too much effort. Yay.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Now that's I'm fixing my breathing cycles, and stretching out my strokes because of it, my Garmin Swim watch is sometimes getting confused about when I'm doing turnarounds. My avg 100yard pace is about 2 minutes, but every now and then the Garmin registers that I did a100 in like 53 seconds, and 5 strokes. I assume because every now and then my stroke is so long that it thinks I'm doing a turn. It's screwing up my average.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

A thought occurred to me while driving yesterday.

I often complain about peeps who don't shower before getting in the pool, and immediately rinse off their dirty face and pits as they get in, grossing me out.

I also complain about old people clogging up the lap lanes.

I just realized that a shitload of old people need diapers to keep from pissing and shitting themselves, but none of them wear diapers into the pool.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

You just kinda have to realize the pool is large. And chlorinated
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I am positive that the shit and piss and skin grease of the old and gross immediately gets sucked into.the filter intakes, and never enters my lap lane.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I am positive that the shit and piss and skin grease of the old and gross immediately gets sucked into.the filter intakes, and never enters my lap lane.
There you go!
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I cognitive dissonance HARD to believe that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Warning: boring swim story follows.

I got myself back up to a full-hour swimming pretty easily. I hadn't backslid very far when I got slack, and I got my endurance back without too much pain. Having good cardio and endurance doesn't hurt with the ladies, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, for years now when I swim a full hour, my watch says I did about 1.75 miles. I could push hard and drown myself and do 1.8 miles in an hour... but meh. I'm not actually training for a race, I'm just keeping my shit tight and doing my best to swim longer and harder than the old people in the other lanes to make them feel bad about themselves and then they get frustrated and quit and then the lanes aren't as crowded. I',m playing the long game. But yeah.... I could do a full hour and feel good and not be breathing hard when I stop.

But today for the hell of it I decided I wanted to do two full miles, so I tacked an arbitrary 20 minutes on to my lapping. At 60 minutes I did my flip turn and kept going, and felt great. All cocky and shit.

At 65 minutes my body realized I wasn't stopping as usual, and started to question my brain in the form of, "Hey, this doesn't feel right."

At 70 minutes I was feeling fatigue I haven't felt in a long time, heavy arms, mostly.

At 75 minutes my limbs were no longer working as a team. I was awkward and clunky.

So stopping at 80 minutes felt pretty good. I still wasn't breathing hard, but my body is trained to stop at 60 minutes. Was funny to trick it a little bit.

Swam 2.16 miles.

Now I'm kind of curious how many yards I could do in two full hours.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

A good rule of thumb is to not increase distance by more than 5-10% per week (so 63 to 66 minutes in your case).

I'm trying to get back in the pool. But so far no luck. My old pool is too far (more stoplights along the way), the closest pool is being rebuilt...

At one point I was trying to get to 2 miles in 1 hour, but not sure if I ever made it. I know I could do a mile in 28?

I've always wanted to do something crazy like this: https://globalswimseries.com/bermuda-ro ... ound-swim/
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I'd sign up for the 4km. Don't think I could pull of 10k in a reasonable time.

Thumbs. The pool is mine and it WILL obey me.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'd sign up for the 4km. Don't think I could pull of 10k in a reasonable time.

Thumbs. The pool is mine and it WILL obey me.
They do it every year. 10km just seems absured. 4km seems doable.