The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Intoxicated people absolutely can never consent. He's a victim.
I'm not sure you're wrong. I'd certainly like his lawyer to go that route so we can see what happens.

I mean, two people intoxicated, she remembers more than he does, and he deserves jail? Let's say they were both equally intoxicated, why is the man automatically the aggressor? Isn't that discrimination?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Absolutely it is. She's rapist, especially since he cant remember anything.

She may have roofied him.

That's what i'd be saying.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I mean, two people intoxicated, she remembers more than he does, and he deserves jail? Let's say they were both equally intoxicated, why is the man automatically the aggressor? Isn't that discrimination?
I think because she was passed out, doing nothing, and woke up with him, naked, on top of her, doing things. Per the story.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It can't only work one way. Intoxicated = impaired judgement , and can't consent.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It can't only work one way. Intoxicated = impaired judgement , and can't consent.
Sure, but consent implies giving approval to something being done to you. You can't say "I'm sorry I killed that person, I was drunk, so I couldn't consent to killing him"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: You can't say "I'm sorry I killed that person, I was drunk, so I couldn't consent to killing him"
Fair point.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Doing a lot of things while under the influence is already illegal. Maybe we need to add "going somewhere with another person" to that list.

Maybe outlaw drinking.

Maybe not allow women out without a male relative.

Any of that sounds d familiar?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Any of that sounds d familiar?
Oh snap.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Better to be rich than smart, when it comes to graduating college
A revolution in genomics is creeping into economics. It allows us to say something we might have suspected, but could never confirm: money trumps genes.

Using one new, genome-based measure, economists found genetic endowments are distributed almost equally among children in low-income and high-income families. Success is not.

The least-gifted children of high-income parents graduate from college at higher rates than the most-gifted children of low-income parents.

First, consider the people whose genome scores in the top quarter on a genetic index the researchers associated with educational achievement.

Only about 24 percent of people born to low-income fathers in that high-potential group graduate from college.

That’s dwarfed by the 63 percent college graduation rate of people with similar genetic scores who are lucky enough to be born to high-income fathers.
This is somewhat interesting, since it's based on genetic intelligence potential.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If it turns out that some people are just smarter, and thus more successful, than others... that won't be allowed. Income inequality NEEDS to be explained by people being held down unfairly, not that they're at their max potential.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I'd wager it has a lot less to do with the actual money, and more to do with parents that are modeling a life that allows for greater success. They talked about the rate of graduation with kids whose father falls within the lower 25% of income earners. Is that father involved with the kid? Was that kid born to a single mom?

Maybe the world view that is passed along to the kids that are successful in college is the same world view that allows the parents success in their careers and money management?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Better to be rich than smart, when it comes to graduating college
Yeah, I don't know about that study. I'm not saying it's politically motivated, but it wouldn't be a huge stretch.
The application of genetics to economics is in its infancy. Limitations abound. Most notably, researchers are forced to focus on white people. The world’s genomic data comes overwhelmingly from people of European descent, and genetic comparisons across races can produce bizarre results.
I mean, did they study WHY people didn't graduate? Did they look into alternatives people might take, like trade schools?

There's just way too many variables that seem completely ignored to take this study seriously.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

College athletes are far more likely to be hit with sexual harassment accusations than normal students.

And if you believe that athletes are just more rapey, and nothing else plays into this number, then I have a bridge to sell you.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well, girls don't lie about sexual assault, so I don't know what you think.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Well, girls don't lie about sexual assault, so I don't know what you think.
Gordon founded #BelieveHer
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

UC Davis professor Joshua Clover publicly calls for the murder of all police officers.

Maybe he's Malcolm's dad?

Here's his credentials:
These statements were made by Joshua Clover, a professor of English and comparative literature at UC Davis and the focus of our online search. He’s well-known throughout literary circles, his poetry examining latent struggles against capitalism and his latest book explaining the act of rioting from a decidedly Marxist point of view. His work has been featured in The Nation and The New York Times. Clover is also one of three co-founders of Commune Editions, a publisher specializing in anarchist and communist poetry, and a contributing editor for Commune Magazine, a quarterly magazine “found wherever enemies of the current order gather.” He was part of a group of protestors slapped with conspiracy and obstruction of movement charges during a U.S. Bank sit-in on campus in 2012 loosely tied to the Occupy movement.
Nobody lives in more ignorance than people who think without laws and those who enforce them, the world would be a utopia of people living in peace and harmony.

When the writer tried to contact this asshat about his comments, his response was:
“direct any further questions to the family of Michael Brown,”
Ha! You mean the drug dealing low life piece of shit with a mile long rap sheet who had, literally, just committed strong arm robbery and then fought with a cop for his gun? The guy who a witness and the MSM claimed was shot in the back with his hands up, but later the facts came out that he was shot in the front while approaching the officer again, the one he just beat the shit out of, and not obeying commands to stop? People really need to stop citing him as a case of police brutality. There are legitimate examples out there, so citing one that isn't hurts their argument.

Oh, and if you're wondering, this is him:

In a world without cops, he'd be dead the first day.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rob Lowe points out his sons got into college honestly.

As Gordon would say, "Oh Snap!"

Others are making this political (of course).

These people must forget that a lot of their elected leaders were in college under suspicious circumstances or had college careers that were less than impressive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Buying kids into schools has always been a thing. I'm a little surprised it only took $2.5M to buy a spot in Harvard though. Really cheapens the place.