Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I'm always scared of electricity.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I want an electric car. But I don't want one made by Tesla.

I rented a Model S for 3 days. It was fun. But almost everything (aside from driving) was controlled by a terrible, terrible, terrible 17" flatscreen. It had its own navigation system. The rear seats did not fit car seats very well.

I want dials and knobs. I want Google Maps. I want seats my kids can use.

I want the experience from people who make cars for humans, instead of for pretty websites.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Just can't get in a hurry with it, always be mindfull of what you're grabbing, and where you're putting fingers.

If you're smart you turn off the breaker first, and/or install that last.

Also ran some lines out to a project years ago through conduit, when I put a light over my outdoor kitchen, also installed an outlet there, in the opposite corner of the yard. Doesn't really scare me. Just gotta respect it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I could see myself upgrading my 2015 Model-S for something newer in a few years. Maybe. When the kid turns 16, this is his car... sheesh... 3 years.

Nevermind.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Pretty sure you have a Model L :)
GORDON wrote: Nevermind
??

Get a Porsche.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

It's a 2015 Leaf S. Not sure how that's pronounced. I believe there's also the SL and SV. I think. Not sure.

But iread the Leaf is the best selling electric car. And it's a good price, especially after state tax exemptions.

I may not have the need of another one after the kid is done with high school... Dunno. I may sell the house, then, and have issues with charging if I go somewhere else.
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Just can't get in a hurry with it, always be mindfull of what you're grabbing, and where you're putting fingers.

If you're smart you turn off the breaker first, and/or install that last.

Also ran some lines out to a project years ago through conduit, when I put a light over my outdoor kitchen, also installed an outlet there, in the opposite corner of the yard. Doesn't really scare me. Just gotta respect it.
True. Plus the testers to make sure the juice is off are cheap and easy to use. I also use only one hand where possible.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It's a 2015 Leaf S
Ah, the Tesla actually calls their car a Model S.
Vince wrote: I also use only one hand where possible.
Me too, but two hands makes it feel more special.
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Me too, but two hands makes it feel more special.
The only question was who was going to jump on that one :-)
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Whew.

Just opened up a couple fuse panels and verified that I have 100 amps running to the garage. Was hoping for at least 40. This is good. The only thing out in the garage drawing significant juice is a fridge. So I can go ahead and put in a 220 or 240 (going to future proof) outlet for the car.

Charger arrives in a week!
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Someone requested pics.

As soon as the new charger showed up, and I knew for certain which plug it used, I went to Menard's this morning and got all the stuff.

Spent about $90... the wire was more expensive than I remembered. $210 for the charger.

I had forgotten there were multiple types of breakers, so of course I bought the wrong one. But I ran the wire without it, which is correct, anyway... step 1 to pulling new electrical is NOT "plug it in to electricity." I eyeball estimated I would need 25', and I bought 25', and it was 23' from A to where I wanted the plug at B. I kept the extra 2 feet attached in case I want to change the parking/charging situation.

But then I went back and got a different breaker, which was also incorrect.

Then I pulled an existing breaker from the box, one that wasn't being used (there were like 10 of them in there not being used, I have no idea why), and then I could match the exact type. Finally got a correct 30amp, double pole breaker. Double pole = 220, it has 2 spots to plug in your "hot" wires, compared to a single pole breaker, which is 110, which is the kind that runs your lamps and toasters and stuff.

Anyway, here's the new 30amp breaker, plugged in and hooked up. Bottom left. Black and red wires.
220_1.jpg
Here's the 10-3 line coming into the breaker box, I installed a nice bushing/clamp thingie, so it's legit.
220_2.jpg
Red and black to the breaker, white and bare to the grounding bar. I grounded it first, then screwed the hots into the breaker, then, ensuring the breaker was set to OFF, seated it against the bus bar. No sparks, whew. Then, I flipped the switch to ON. Stood back, listened for popping from the outlet I'd already wired. This is it, up near the ceiling. That's garage door railing and spring in the pic. If I end up parking the car in the garage (which I probable will), I can leave the outlet in the same place and the cable will still reach.
220_3.jpg
No sizzling or sparks. I waited a couple minutes, felt the orange 10-3 wire to see if it was heating up. No. Felt the metal box for a charge. No. So I went ahead and plugged in the charger, and again, waited a few minutes. All good to go, and I had a red "power" light on the charger (picture is with the charger cable all velcroed up and organized).
220_4.jpg
Fed the charger nozzle through the hole I drilled through my garage wall, and into the car, hoping I wasn't about to blow everything up.

Plugged it in, it made the correct clicking noises, and the lights on the dash started flashing, which means, "Ok, I'm charging."

Got in the car, checked the charging stats, and voila:
220_5.jpg
I'm charging at 240 (not really, just 220), and I'll be done from 20% charge in about 6.5 hours. It was at least 12 hours, on the 110.

You must respect electricity, but you don't need to be afraid of it. I bought a Black and Decker "Home Wiring" book years ago, and studied it extensively, depending on the project, and I hardly ever start any fires.

Not counting the 2 return trips to Menard's to get the correct breaker, entire project took about 2.5 hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I bought a Black and Decker "Home Wiring" book years ago
I think I bought that book. I then decided to fix a light switch without turning of the electricity. It went how you think it went. I now always turn off the electricity.

Nice work! I'm impressed.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Word, thanks.

Weld a nick into the screwdriver, or just shock the hell out of your hand?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: just shock the hell out of your hand?
Shock.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I've done that a few times, when I get into a hurry.
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

I've been shocked a few times. I'd probably be more careful if it hurt me more. For whatever reason, I've always been like "Yikes! Okay that got me" and move on without it registering in a large way. So that's not good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I take about 30 seconds, contemplating what a dumbass I am.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Got the first, full-month electric bill, since charging the car every day. Norm is about 150, I expected 250, and it was 218. So, good.

Kind of make sense, though... I was doing mental arithmetic based on a full charge every day. I only charge about 60% every day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

$2/day? My gut reaction was "HOLY FUCK THAT'S EXPENSIVE." Then I remember most people actually drive their cars more than 20 miles/ week :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Yep. If translated to the cost of gasoline, my car gets over 100 miles to the gallon.