Bard's Tale IV

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

There's an automap in game, just FYI. I've used the one that overlays onto your play screen. However, the Steam page shows a full map with legend that I haven't used and didn't even know existed in the game.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

I fired it up today.

Did yall create all new characters, or take the presets? I'm making new ones, but trying to remember what skills matter the most, etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

I made me and then an entire party of elven women.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

I created all new characters. Don't forget to steal the equipment from the premades! I forgot during my first run and everyone died pretty quickly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I created all new characters. Don't forget to steal the equipment from the premades! I forgot during my first run and everyone died pretty quickly.
Well, there's something I should have done.

I also didn't buy any weapons/armor for a while.

I managed to only have 1 character killed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

I got all characters to L2, except my one who died. Game got a bit easier.
Troy

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Troy »

Seems fun, maybe a little repetitive. I wish I could save AI scripts instead of doing the prompts every turn.

I used all the pre-mades and made an extra conjurer. I wish I had re-rolled but I've made enough progress and I'm not going back.

Headed back to town to + to 6, judicious use of the fire horn on big packs of enemies has been a life saver. Nearly done with the first dungeon. Spell upgrades have been disappointing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I got all characters to L2, except my one who died.
The healers do resurrections.
Troy wrote: Headed back to town to + to 6, judicious use of the fire horn on big packs of enemies has been a life saver. Nearly done with the first dungeon. Spell upgrades have been disappointing.
Use the Fire Horn a lot. You'll find tons of them.

Also, remember to change your magic users' classes once they get all 7 levels of spells in their current class.

My party is:
Monk (Basically unhittable)
Paladin
Fighter
Thief
Bard
Magic User
Magic User
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

Well now I guess I'm starting over and stripping the premades of gear, and starting my map in the correct corner of the graph paper.

Gonna name my party of elves after female musicians.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

Oh, also, fuck lvl 1 bards who only manage to play a song one time in ten tries. Fucker is just dead weight early on.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, I gave my early level Bard bow + arrow so he could be slightly usefull until he learns to sing.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The healers do resurrections.
Yeah, but I couldn't afford that shit. So she got trashed, and replaced with #2.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Also, unlike Leisher, I'm not cheating by reading forums :)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Found the wine cellar, got my ass kicked on the 2nd fight (well, one person died), but I cannot afford to res anyone. Level 3/4
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:. Nearly done with the first dungeon. Spell upgrades have been disappointing.
Level 5 group attack spells have been strong for me.

Haven't found any fire horns
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Oh, also, fuck lvl 1 bards who only manage to play a song one time in ten tries.
They have to drink and then they can play the same number of songs as their level. One thing I did figure out is play songs out of combat, and the song will play endlessly and the effects work in combat.
TheCatt wrote: Yeah, I gave my early level Bard bow + arrow so he could be slightly usefull until he learns to sing.
Bards and thieves are pretty worthless in hand to hand fighting.
TheCatt wrote: Also, unlike Leisher, I'm not cheating by reading forums
I've been playing for weeks!
TheCatt wrote: Found the wine cellar, got my ass kicked on the 2nd fight (well, one person died), but I cannot afford to res anyone
You're spending wrong. I spent some time grinding outside the healer near the starting inn. There is a small (one square) alley where you can go back and forth between houses. Get XP, gold, and items that way until you are powerful enough to move on. Also, search every house!
TheCatt wrote: Haven't found any fire horns
I think I have 7 in my inventory. Deeper you go in dungeons, the better the loot. The second dungeon has a LOT of good stuff.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

I think I hit level 7. Game has gotten easier, but holy shit I keep running out of $$$. Every time I have a nice stash, the spellcasters want 90% of it to upgrade.

The grind from 7 to 8 looks large.

Still in the first dungeon.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Also, not being able to cure getting old is expensive as fuck.

Spell regen could be faster, too.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: but holy shit I keep running out of $$$.
Are you selling your extra equipment? There was a moment when I was short of money for spells, but I just grinded in the dungeon a few more times. At this point I've got money on top of money.
TheCatt wrote: Also, not being able to cure getting old is expensive as fuck.
I use lots of save games. (Autosave saves a game after every fight.) If I get a condition that's going to ridiculously break my party, I reload. It'd be impossible or take thousands of hours to go through the whole game without ever reloading a saved game.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Are you selling your extra equipment? There was a moment when I was short of money for spells, but I just grinded in the dungeon a few more times. At this point I've got money on top of money.
Of course I'm selling it. But damn grinding pays slowly.
Leisher wrote: I use lots of save games. (Autosave saves a game after every fight.) If I get a condition that's going to ridiculously break my party, I reload.
Ah, so you're cheating! I have not been doing this.

My memory is that in the original game you could only save at the Inn, right?