Ghost Stories (2017)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ghost Stories (2017)

Post by Leisher »

I respect this movie. This is a well made, competently acted, and very tightly written film. It deserves more attention than it received. (Currently 82% on RT.)

A professional skeptic gets a shocking letter that leads him to three cases that science can't explain.

And that's all I'll say about the story details. I will say that there was a point in the movie where I didn't know what was going on, then I thought it got really stupid to the point where I hated it, and by the time the movie ended I was happy to have watched it.

There are some really cool visuals, one or two that are pretty freaky, and the settings are a LOT smarter than you will initially realize.

I HATE movies involving ghosts typically as I think they're lazy. They give writers too many deus ex machinas to work with for the protagonists and antagonists. It generally results in lazy writing and just a bunch of attempted jump scares or gross moments. This is done a bit differently, particularly the first story. The director understands setting up the horror and letting it build.

The overall story line deals with the scariest thing of all.

It's a good film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”