Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

They publicly named the shooter if you want to find it. I still fully believe that is the wrong move. Stop giving them press.

Only 2 people killed, plus the suspect.

They have no motive yet. However, it's not hard to figure out. He was in town from Baltimore for the tournament. He's 24 and good at Madden, so he's got nothing else in his life. Clearly he probably got bounced and didn't handle it well.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:They have no motive yet. However, it's not hard to figure out. He was in town from Baltimore for the tournament. He's 24 and good at Madden, so he's got nothing else in his life. Clearly he probably got bounced and didn't handle it well.
I'm having trouble believing that he traveled all that way with a firearm and smuggled it in and was only going to use it if he lost the tournament. I really want to know what was going on with this guy. This seems to have been too well premeditated to hinge just on his game that day, at least to me. But who knows what motivates crazy people.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote:They have no motive yet. However, it's not hard to figure out. He was in town from Baltimore for the tournament. He's 24 and good at Madden, so he's got nothing else in his life. Clearly he probably got bounced and didn't handle it well.
I'm having trouble believing that he traveled all that way with a firearm and smuggled it in and was only going to use it if he lost the tournament. I really want to know what was going on with this guy. This seems to have been too well premeditated to hinge just on his game that day, at least to me. But who knows what motivates crazy people.
I'm not saying he went there with the intention of using it. He probably had it in his car, got bounced from the tournament, was trash talked, and had other things going on to contribute to him losing his shit.

Madden was clearly this guy's life. That can't be healthy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Just saw that he'd been hospitalized for mental illness in the past. If it wasn't voluntary, then he was a prohibited possessor. We'll have to see how this shakes out.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Also, this was a prelim tourney, so if he was bounced, I believe that would have meant he couldn't move onto bigger tournaments and prizes. Someone mentally unstable might not handle that well.

Weird how all these mass shooters have mental issues. It's almost like we should be treating that or something...
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

As soon as it becomes easy to get someone committed, all y'all are going away for a good long time.

We can all get connecting rooms.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: As soon as it becomes easy to get someone committed, all y'all are going away for a good long time.

As long as we get a place with lots of pills. and sex robots. and good VR
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: As soon as it becomes easy to get someone committed, all y'all are going away for a good long time.

I'm in.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:

I'm in.
I think I should quit my job and open a nursing home.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

There's been a shitload of free government money in health care for at least 20 years.
Cakedaddy

Gun Control catch all

Post by Cakedaddy »

Kathy Giffords (I think that's how you spell it) called it a massacre. My definition of a massacre was never "2". Or even the "4" someone originally speculated. I've never thought to put an actual number to it (ok, NOW it's a massacre). But 4 or less is not one.

Also, I saw a:
"We are the vocal majority! Vote away gun violence!"
Bumper sticker today. I honesty can't remember the last time I saw an anti-gun bumper sticker. Once I saw that, I started paying attention. I saw 5 pro-gun stickers the rest of the day. I counted the brand name stickers people use (Sig Sauer, GLOCK, etc), hello kitty with the AK47, etc. They weren't saying "I SUPPORT GUN VIOLENCE!" but obviously are anti that 'vocal majority' person. This study proves there are WAY more people that want guns than people who want to ban them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

According to this STUDY by some group I never heard of, the USA has a lower than average rate of mass shootings, globally.

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/08/new-c ... l-average/
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

I'm suspicious of any organization that puts the western hemisphere on the right side of a map.

Good news, we still have 10x per capital people dying from mass shootings than Canada, and higher rates than all Western European countries, so we're still good.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Good news, we still have 10x per capital people dying from mass shootings than Canada, and higher rates than all Western European countries, so we're still good.
To be fair, there are only like... 3 places in Canada where enough people get together that there can even be a mass shooting.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Good news, we still have 10x per capital people dying from mass shootings than Canada, and higher rates than all Western European countries, so we're still good.
To be fair, nobody lives in Canada. Also, Western Europe leads us in terror attacks, public beheadings, and smugness.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

I read somewhere that if you remove 3 cities from the data... Like Chicago, DC, and... St Louis? Then the USA has the lowest gun crime statistics per capital, in the world.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I read somewhere that if you remove 3 cities from the data... Like Chicago, DC, and... St Louis? Then the USA has the lowest gun crime statistics per capital, in the world.
Racist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I read somewhere that if you remove 3 cities from the data... Like Chicago, DC, and... St Louis? Then the USA has the lowest gun crime statistics per capital, in the world.
Ditto.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Ditto.
You will be STUNNED to learn that that statement is Not true.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
Ditto.
You will be STUNNED to learn that that statement is Not true.
I would not be as it's a tough stat to believe. I mean, generally speaking, people are fucking lazy and guns make murder really effort free.

Although you might be STUNNED to hear that my trust level on Snopes has dropped considerably over the years.

Even the story you linked is sketchy. They jump all around from homicides to guns and back again. They also do not break out the types of homicides with guns like I have done here previously showing that accidental, by cop, etc. are part of those statistics.