What cars do you people have?

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think Google's voice to text is missing something here, or the Senator has fallen on hard times.
Hi Jeff, this is Devon with Senator John Kerry. I just wanted to reach out to you real quick from our internet sales director and saw that you had some interest in the Costco auto program with the 2018 Kia Sedona.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

They'll be telling you they're a Nigerian Prince next.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Do yall use USAA for insurance/loans/stuff?

I've used them for more than two decades. But their auto loans we not competitive for some reason. I had to qualify at BOA then get USAA to match that rate (55 basis points lower)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Do yall use USAA for insurance/loans/stuff?

I've used them for more than two decades. But their auto loans we not competitive for some reason. I had to qualify at BOA then get USAA to match that rate (55 basis points lower)
No. I checked them out, but they were way overpriced for auto insurance. We use Progressive. Signed up with them years ago, and now we've been with them so long that nobody else can touch the rates we're getting.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Do yall use USAA for insurance/loans/stuff?

No. I checked them out, but they were way overpriced for auto insurance. We use Progressive. Signed up with them years ago, and now we've been with them so long that nobody else can touch the rates we're getting.
Every point you just made....same. no one can touch all the longevity discounts I have through Progressive.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Interesting. We have USAA for auto, life, house, property, and umbrella. About $70/month for both cars.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Interesting. We have USAA for auto, life, house, property, and umbrella. About $70/month for both cars.
Your cars are 11 years old though. Do you have full coverage?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Interesting. We have USAA for auto, life, house, property, and umbrella. About $70/month for both cars.
Great point. Catt probably also gets discounts for having all those other items insured.

BTW, I just did the math on that, and with full coverage on two cars (one brand new, the other 3 years old) our price isn't much higher than your price.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote:
No collission, obviously.

I'd shop, but USAA has always had fabulous service.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Interestingly, I added a brand new car (as a quote), and it only went up $15 /month, with collision, etc.

Also, no wonder Kias depreciate so much. Shopping a car with MSRP of 39,600, and they're willing to go $30k even out the door (so $28.5k before taxes/tags/titles/etc). Honda would only drop $4k off a 2019 Odyssey.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Honda was willing to go 4k off MSRP. Kia went a little more than 10k.

According to TrueCar, we got a better deal than any deal in their database.

The prices they list are without: Dealer installed accessories, Taxes, or Dealer Fees (delivery/doc/etc)

By those stipulations, we paid ~$28,500.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Nice.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Nice.
I have to do something to make myself feel good about buying a Kia.

Hopefully it doesn't break before the loan is over. I've never done a car loan before. I was surprised that you could do 100% financing without any issues (no lower rate for more down payment, etc)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Take care of it and I'm sure it'll last you. They clearly aren't the top of the line cars, but anything taken care of will last.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Take care of it and I'm sure it'll last you. They clearly aren't the top of the line cars, but anything taken care of will last.
I mostly agree with you... but I mean... I don't buy Chrysler, Land Rovers, Mitsubishi, or Subaru for a reason.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well the cat's out of the bag, 2015 Nissan LEAF, 25k miles, $11k, through the Costco Car Program. Kept the truck. Didn't have to wheel and deal, Costco set the price. Probably could have gotten a little off if I cared too much about it. I wasn't planning on mentioning it because I didn't want to hear a bunch of shit about it.

All electric. 85ish mile range on the highway, 100ish miles in the city. It generates power back to the battery from the frequent slowing down/braking actions of city driving.

It's got killer acceleration. No one is going to beat me out of a red light unless they have a big engine and really make it go loud.

About $3, at my regional cost of electricty, to charge it up from zero... which means I get about 100 miles from the cost of a single gallon of gas.

No oil changes or fuel line leaks or muffler replacements.

I bought the extended warranty, which also covers the battery, so I'm good for another 7 years/125k miles if the battery status goes from the full 12 bars I have now, to 8. If we have another cold winter, I suspect I'll lose a bar, but this thing came from Connecticut, so who knows.

I was paying about $250 per month gassing up the truck, before I even counted oil changes and other truck maintenance. My entire LEAF payment is just shy of $250. It's basically a free car.

The one thing that DID surprise me was the insurance payment, about $55/month. My 2011 F-150 is only $31. That seems odd, to me, and I didn't anticipate that.

I've had it a few weeks now, and have been doing the normal commute for 2 weeks, and I'm very happy with my purchase. No ragrets. It's perfect for what I use it for.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh yeah.... the first time Will was in it, and I was telling him about it and how it's "zero emission," he said, "Yeah, but you are creating a pretty big cloud of smug right now."

He's funny.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Another oh yeah.... The Nissan lady was the 2nd salesperson I talked to. I gave my usual Ford guy a chance, first. I emailed him a list of things I needed for the cost I wanted to pay... "amazing mileage" being bullet point #1.

He only wanted to show me used Ford Fusions, with more miles and a couple thousand higher in price, which he said only get 25 MPG, city. I told him my truck already gets 18 MPG, and he didnt want want to show me anything else. I texted him from Nissan and told him don't wait up... he sniped back, "Never lost a sale to a Leaf, before." Dude. I don't know what he was thinking. I guess he was under orders to push the used Fusions, that day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: No oil changes or fuel line leaks or muffler replacements.
The low maintenance is nice, too.
GORDON wrote: I wasn't planning on mentioning it because I didn't want to hear a bunch of shit about it.
Nice. A friend of mine bought a little older/more used one, and uses it as a commuter as well.
GORDON wrote: I texted him from Nissan and told him don't wait up... he sniped back, "Never lost a sale to a Leaf, before." Dude. I don't know what he was thinking.
"Get used to it" probably doesn't quite work.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

We contacted 12 dealers. 5 we responded to. We tried to use the CostCo program for 1) Honda Odyssey and 2) Hyundai Santa Fe. It did get us the best Odyssey price (well, another dealer was willing to go $100 lower, but that was it). I don't know what happened with the Hyundai, but they people said "Your costco price is X" Me" Your online price is $3k lower than that already." THem" Uh, lemme check something"... and never got back to me. (Oh, and CostCo did better than both TrueCar + USAA car buying programs)

We visited 3 dealers for test drives/bargaining. The Honda guy had made all sorts of lavish promises to my wife (she had visited by herself a few days earlier), then was just an ass when we were all there ready to buy. So told him to (kindly) go fuck himself.

The Kia people were the most willing to negotiate (I mean , they're Kias). I feel like I could have played them against each other for a few hundred more, but it was taking up too much of my time and I was done.