What cars do you people have?

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Just curious.

My wife and I both have Toyota Highlanders, which are 12 and 11 years old, respectively. Finally looking at new cars, and may... get... a... minivan. Cuz kids and shit.

To make myself feel better I made a list of cars I could rent on occasion from Turo like a 4-series BMW or Tesla X.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

F-150, as you know. 2011. Paid off.

Talking to a dealer tomorrow about a commuter car.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Dodge 4x4 pickup, Ford 2WD pickup, Dodge Caliber. All paid for.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TIL: I have no idea what a Dodge Caliber is. But I googled it. I honestly don't know if I've even seen one before.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ford Fusion 2018

2015 Town and Country (we have three kids)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Ford Fusion 2018

2015 Town and Country (we have three kids)
Look at the rich guy with cars from this decade.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I recently learned I can lease full size trucks (F150 XLT, Ram Big Horn, etc) for around $315/month with 15k miles per year. So I have a 2018 Ram. Just turned in a 2016 F150. Also have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note as the commuter/miles car. I do a ton of driving for work. Note has paid for itself, and then some. $.55/mile write off pays for small cars like this easily. It's been paid off for about two years. Wife drives a 2016 Explorer.

She's looking at the Porsche Cayenne or the Mercedes AMG SUV for her next car. Full disclosure, I want one of those too.
Last edited by Cakedaddy on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Porsche Cayenne
Those are fun. I was super skeptical when they were introduced... but if you want SUV that moves, it does.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Ford Fusion 2018)
My Ford guy wants to show me a Fusion, tomorrow. What are your thoughts on it?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote: Ford Fusion 2018)
My Ford guy wants to show me a Fusion, tomorrow. What are your thoughts on it?
Gas mileage is good. I can easily transport all 5 people in my family. Big enough trunk. Fold down back seats. Rear camera. Drives very nice. Lots of charging ports.

I really only have two complaints:
1. I wish I could get rid of my garage opener and use a button in my car. My wife's van has that.
2. There is a lack of storage space in the front seats for little shit. You have the glove compartment, the compartment between the seats, the drink holders, and a small cubby hole under the radio. Although, if I'm being really honest with myself, it has kept me from hanging onto shit I don't need.

I bought mine with 6 miles and got $1K off for knowing a Ford employee (they have to give you a code), $1K off for being a vet (you need forms to prove it), and $6K off for some rebate. Not sure if the rebate thing is still going on, but you certainly can get the other two. I paid less than 15K, which is perfect for a commuter vehicle.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, I emailed my guy and told him what I needed. He said he can take care of me.

And the Nissan lady from Costco is.going to show me a Leaf in the afternoon.............

What mileage you get?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

35-40. Somewhere in there.

All my driving is city driving though, so my results can very week to week.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

'When' you buy your vehicle is VERY important. I would highly recommend waiting for Labor Day and end of the month. When I got my truck, I was being quoted $480/month. 3 weeks later, I got $315/month. Also, shop around. MAKE THE CALLS!! I was quoted $360 at one dealership. Called 4 others in the area and got $315 on the exact same truck. Once I narrowed down what I wanted, it's just a matter of calling dealerships and letting them know the options you want. They all end up seeing the same truck show up on the search. The dealership that had possession of the truck was the cheapest (naturally). I signed at $315 after a few phone calls. Second place was $325 on the same exact truck (same VIN on both quotes). My F150, I paid $312 when I bought during the Memorial Day sale. They quoted $380, talked them down to $312. Kept telling them I could drive a RAM for $315 (I could not). If they could beat that, I would sign and leave with a Ford. They wanted the sale because:
Dealerships get bonuses if they sell X number of cars. The bonus is significant. If, at the end of the month, they are a few cars shy of the next bonus tier, they will get VERY aggressive getting those last couple of sales. They don't want to lose a 20k bonus by not getting those last couple of sales. This is when you truly can pay below dealer invoice for your car. They lose $500-1k to make sure they get that bonus. When I bought the Ford, they called around and found someone that was willing to give me their discount code. I did not know the employee, but he gave the dealership the code which qualified me for more discounts allowing them to get to $312. They also fudge stuff on their end because I signed on 6/2 but they worked the sale into May. Started shopping on Thursday the 31st. Signed on 6/2. The Dodge dealership was planning the same thing. They were very aggressive, but I wanted a Ford, and that's why I stuck with beating them up. The RAM at the time, I believe was going to be around $325/month.

End of month. Call dealerships and pit them against each other once you find the vehicle you want. Be flexible with the options you want. Letting them match you up with something on their lot saves you big. Be aggressive with what you want to pay. Wait till end of the month.

Sorry if you already knew all of that. Just trying to help.

Oh, also, those prices are with $0 down. EVERYTHING was rolled in. On the RAM, they also covered the last two months I still owed on the F150 (I was out of miles. Had to either pay for extra miles or roll the leftover payments into another vehicle).

Just sharing so you have a baseline to work with, if you want. I realize you aren't looking for a truck. But you should still be able to apply the same principle and pay way less than you expect, or at least what you're being told you have to.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Word. Thanks for the input.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: 'When' you buy your vehicle is VERY important. I would highly recommend waiting for Labor Day and end of the month.
Seconded.

I had perfect timing on the Fusion:
-It was part of a fleet order that was cancelled.
-It was one of the last off the line at Pontiac (or one of the plants) before they switched to a new model.
-Dealers needed to make room for new cars coming in the fall.

If you want to make a call, Bell Ford in Adrian Michigan is where I got my deal. I can dig up the salesperson's contact info too if you're interested.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I would say argue the total price, not the monthly. But if you keep the rates/terms the same, they are the same thing.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: I would say argue the total price, not the monthly. But if you keep the rates/terms the same, they are the same thing.

I kept the "No money down/due at signing" the same. I allowed the vehicles to change as long as they kept my minimum (Dark color, Backup cam, tow package, heated seats, large console display, bed liner). If I lost the backup assist and saved money, I was fine with that. Had no intention of keeping the trucks, so didn't care about resale, etc. Just wanted my minimum requirements at the lowest price. If I was purchasing, monthly wouldn't even be discussed. Final out the door price.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Kia went really deep on discounts... but... they're still Kia. :\
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Not sure on this, but I believe I had heard Kias lost more value than any other car once driven off the lot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Not sure on this, but I believe I had heard Kias lost more value than any other car once driven off the lot.
Also true. But they were willing to go about $4k less than the Honda dealer has gone for roughly the same minivan.