Scuba Diving

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: BUT - it seems like I should get the international dive flag for Indonesian waters? Blue/White instead of Red w/ White stripe that I'm used to.
Why not both?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Call.the resort, or.a local charter. They'll know.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

I wouldn't say 'rescuing' for what you do to boys in caves.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

I considered calling you out for making a pedo joke, and try to get you fired from Guardians of the Galaxy. :-D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I considered calling you out for making a pedo joke, and try to get you fired from Guardians of the Galaxy. :-D
but YOU're the pedo, not me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Nope. I said an innocent thing. You were the one who didn't see the cigar for what it was. Therefore you must be financially ruined.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: I wouldn't say 'rescuing' for what you do to boys in caves.
Gordon wrote:Saw lots of stuff for the first time, in Whitestar.
Pervert.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

There was even a dark hole, way down deep.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

First dive: I was a fucking idiot, and when loading/switching weights, I accidentally left an extra 5-pounder in my right vest pocket. I had trim problems for the first 24 minutes, constantly fighting a roll to the right, when I realized that it didn't matter why I was off balance... I moved a 3-pound weight from my right, to my left, and that fixed me right up for the last 21 minutes. Stupid asshole. But I endeavor to only make particular mistakes, once...

Second dive: All trimmed out and perfect and got to show off some buoyancy skillz to my instructor, just hovering there during a safety stop when others were holding on to the line to keep their depth. At the zoo, you go up and down with your breath only, there isn't an inflatable vest. So lots of practice. Also saw some stuff deeper in that quarry that I didn't even know was there. I'm curious how far down that circular stairway went into the darkness, in the old stone crusher building.

Also signed up for an underwater navigation class. I'm starting work on my Rescue Diver certification.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Leaving for Sumatra Friday, surf reports making it look like it will be more of a surfing trip than a diving trip. I'll probably still get to stick my head in the water where the boat anchors overnight.

Indian Ocean laying the heat right now:

Needs to calm down or I'm boned. I'm no big wave surfer.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote:
Also signed up for an underwater navigation class. I'm starting work on my Rescue Diver certification.
Underwater navigation is more important for scuba divers than I would have thought. I've noticed scuba guys surfacing at the wrong boat, or way off the reef a few times. Seems like some people just turn their navigation brain off when they go down?
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

More or less. The last coral reef we were on was huge, each chunk of the larger.whole the size of a couple city.blocks, and twists and canyons and tunnels. Super easy to lose sense of direction, which is why we surfaced from time to time to get out bearings.

Theoretically, with a compass and underwater notes, I can focus on watching the compass and counting my kicks, and tracking every turn, instead of.looking at the reef, and then not have to surface to find our boat.

See what I did there?

But this will be a very useful skill in low vis situations, say when there are multiple chunks of a shipwreck or something and I want to get there and back without being able to see it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

You're going to get hijacked in.the Indian Ocean.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote:
GORDON wrote:
Underwater navigation is more important for scuba divers than I would have thought. I've noticed scuba guys surfacing at the wrong boat, or way off the reef a few times. Seems like some people just turn their navigation brain off when they go down?
But some people are.real fucktards and can't follow directions, which can take them way off course. I've seen certified divers who needed the boat to pick them up because they got too far down current. Even my 12 yo recognizes those people as fucking idiots.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Does that say 10-15' WAVES?

Is this a cruise ship? I was envisioning a small charter. Small.charters can't do 15' waves.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Does that say 10-15' WAVES?

Is this a cruise ship? I was envisioning a small charter. Small.charters can't do 15' waves.
Yeah, small charter. I think the boat will stay on the protected side of the islands - like you said - it HAS to.

Boat looks like this: Image
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Sheesh. Hope your whole trip.isnt blown out.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Supposed to die down to 4-6 range by the time we get over to the islands. Supposed to.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Grammy winner for sure.