Loot Boxes

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by Leisher »

Chris Lee, a rep from Hawaii, wants to classify loot boxes as gambling, which would then make it illegal to sell them to people under 21.

I'm all for capitalism, but I love this idea. It reminds me of how they used tax evasion to take down Capone.

I don't think the market could fight against this trend on its own. Too many kids involved not using their own money. Thus, too many people willing to but these things fucking over those who don't want it.

It'll be interesting to see how far this goes to because there are many, many other "mystery" boxes out there. Is loot crate gambling? How about all those figures in sealed boxes you see at the stores? I've purchased a few of those with no idea what I'm getting. (I have three Ricks, a dumb Rick, and Unity.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Loot Boxes

Post by Cakedaddy »

Interesting conversation following an article about loot boxes being replaced with Battle Passes. In the article, the writer states that he plays about 100 hours of games over a 3 month period.

Rorschach • 5 days ago

"[100 hours is] about the time I spend playing games in total over a few months. "
Are you serious? That's just one an hour a day. You're a games journalist who only spends an hour a day playing games?

lazychocobo > Rorschach • 5 days ago

Grown ups, get a job hippy!

Rorschach > lazychocobo • 5 days ago

You have a job that leaves you with only an hour spare every day, including at weekends?
And lest we forget, his job literally involves playing games.

James Davenport Mod > Rorschach • 3 days ago

My job involves writing. I write all day. I play games in my spare time or when I'm playing for review.
Besides games I enjoy hiking, hanging with family and friends, drinking beer, and camping. Games are not my top priority.

Rorschach James Davenport • 3 days ago

Fair enough! It's easy to forget that just because you have a job writing about our passion, you don't necessarily share that passion.

Interesting point. A gaming journalist (James Davenport) that appears to only play games when he has to for an article.

I put this here because it mentioned loot boxes in the article.
Leisher
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by Leisher »

That is ridiculous. It'd be like Gordon working for ESPN.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That is ridiculous. It'd be like Gordon working for ESPN.
I'm sure there are plenty of writers for various outlets who write about things they are not passionate about, but I do find it hard to believe that they couldn't find a gamer who can write. Does he write about other things as well?
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Loot Boxes

Post by thibodeaux »

I thought it was fairly well understood that journalists don't really know anything about anything.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I thought it was fairly well understood that journalists don't really know anything about anything.
Thanks, Trump!
thibodeaux

Loot Boxes

Post by thibodeaux »

Have you not been reading this board for nearly...what, 18ish years?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Have you not been reading this board for nearly...what, 18ish years?
Only 17, I think
Leisher
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Loot Boxes

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Takes away a little of the mystery though.
It also hurts companies' ability to cheat consumers.