General Marvel Movie & TV Show News

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by TheCatt »

Wait, how was ROM whorey?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Wait, how was ROM whorey?
They went to one of the toy manufacturers and got the agreement for the toy before they'd green-light the comic. It was just a vehicle for the royalties off the toy. Turned out the comic was more interesting than the toy, though.

Edit: Reading this is looks like Parker Brothers went to Marvel wanting the comic to coincide with the release of the toy. Kind of interesting read.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Wait, how was ROM whorey?
They went to one of the toy manufacturers and got the agreement for the toy before they'd green-light the comic. It was just a vehicle for the royalties off the toy. Turned out the comic was more interesting than the toy, though.

Edit: Reading this is looks like Parker Brothers went to Marvel wanting the comic to coincide with the release of the toy. Kind of interesting read.
Ah, had no memory of the toy. Just the comic.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Ah, had no memory of the toy. Just the comic.
Definitely you should read the article. The toy was kind of crappy. Well... maybe not so much "crappy" as not planned as any sort of line at all.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by GORDON »

This pic was posted in the general pictures thread, but here it is here, in high res.

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.co ... -photo.jpg
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Sony once passed on the movie rights to the entire Marvel universe for $25 million dollars.

The MCU movies are at $14 billion and climbing...

Although, to be fair, Sony clearly never would have made a that much as their Marvel films have sucked (except Homecoming which Marvel produced).
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Marvel Movies

Post by thibodeaux »

Marvel clearly has a vision and story arc, which helps. That said...I wonder would the MCU have taken off like it did if they hadn't cast Downey. I mean, I never even saw The Hulk with Norton, although to be fair is Hulk the boringest character ever? Anyway. Iron Man was a smash in large part to Downey, which if that hadn't happened, I wonder if they would have even bothered to keep going.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Downey definitely made Iron Man, but the real man behind the MCU is Kevin Feige. He's the guy who had the vision and has guided this whole thing.
thibodeaux

Marvel Movies

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Downey definitely made Iron Man, but the real man behind the MCU is Kevin Feige. He's the guy who had the vision and has guided this whole thing.
Yeah, I get that. But come on. I'm dying on this hill: RDj made the MCU successful.
GORDON
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by GORDON »

I would agree, if IM had bombed, they wouldn't have built a franchise on failure.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote:
Leisher wrote: Downey definitely made Iron Man, but the real man behind the MCU is Kevin Feige. He's the guy who had the vision and has guided this whole thing.
Yeah, I get that. But come on. I'm dying on this hill: RDj made the MCU successful.
So, really, Jon Favreau made MCU successful by casting Downey?
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote:
So, really, Jon Favreau made MCU successful by casting Downey?
Downey and Favreau made an excellent movie, but do either deserve the credit for the MCU? No. They deserve some, absolutely. However, I will die on the hill that Feige deserves the majority of the credit for the MCU, and Hollywood agrees with me. He's the guy who had the vision and is the one moving the pieces around the board.

Where I think Favreau and Downey deserve all the credit is...

Favreau for making a real Marvel comic book movie work. He treated it with respect and wasn't mocking the concept (like Tim Burton did with Batman). He made it about Iron Man, unlike Nolan's Batman films that also contained Batman...

Downey deserves all the credit for making Iron Man more than just a role. He made casting correctly important. Something WB/DC has yet to learn. He became Iron Man, and while he seemed to have some hesitation about it initially, it seems like as the years have gone on, he's now fully embraced being Iron Man. That attitude is rubbing off on his co-stars who also initially poo-pooed doing a role multiple times, but now don't ever want it to end.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Puff piece about Emily Blunt and John Krasinski missing out on Marvel roles.

Blah blah blah until John says this:
while Krasinski has admitted that he’s open to portraying a superhero, and would be keen to see himself and Blunt taking on the roles of Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman in the inevitable Fantastic Four reboot.
That could work.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Interesting video not just about one line, but about how most of the Marvel movies contain a LOT of improv. That's got to drive WB/DC execs nuts.

Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Comcast apparently has an all cash bid ready to go.

This would be about $10B over what Disney is paying. There is a clause that if Fox backs out they have to pay Disney 1.5B, so the amount Disney would need to bump their bid is only 8.5B to match.

I don't begrudge Comcast for the move as they need assets, but if they win and hand Universal, who is desperate for IPs, the keys to the X-Men and the FF, they will become universally hated.