Amazon

thibodeaux

Amazon

Post by thibodeaux »

What do you see as the upside? Better jobs for you and me? Whatever, I'm gonna retire in less than 10 years (knock wood) and move to the beach. So I guess fuck it I don't care.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: What do you see as the upside? Better jobs for you and me? Whatever, I'm gonna retire in less than 10 years (knock wood) and move to the beach. So I guess fuck it I don't care.
More competition for people like you and me, yes. And probably a large influx of people, make Raleigh more of an actual city, etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Amazon

Post by thibodeaux »

Again, I don't see much upside to Raleigh getting more people. What do we get out of that? More food trucks? More traffic? More Yankees, SJWs, and H1Bs so the state now forever votes Democrat?

Hurray.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Again, I don't see much upside to Raleigh getting more people. What do we get out of that? More food trucks? More traffic? More Yankees, SJWs, and H1Bs so the state now forever votes Democrat?

Hurray.
YAY! And our housing prices go up so you can cash in and go to the beach.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Amazon Go test store launching in Seattle.

They're actually just eliminating the cashiers and self-scanners. So no lines at checkout.

I wonder how they'll do the produce? If Amazon is trying it, can Kroger and all the other grocery stores be far behind?
Walmart is rolling this out now. Called Scan and Go. You grab a scanner as you enter the store. You use your reusable bags. As you shop, you scan the item and put it in one of your bags. When you are done shopping, you go to the register. Register syncs up with your scanner and you pay for what you've scanned. You don't pay for all of the stuff you don't scan.

I asked "How do you know they'll scan everything" They answered "How do we know now? They removed all the scales from the self checkout."

I do know they install way more cameras in stores now than they used to.

My math is:
Outsource all cashier duties to customer - increased security cameras and people watching them - any increase/decrease in loss = profit?

They have had it in Sam's Club for a while, but you used your phone and an app to scan everything you put in your cart. Then check out at a self checkout register to pay. Or, maybe it had your CC info and you just walked out after they break your 4th amendment rights when you try to leave.

But Walmart is implementing this stuff now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Seattle hits Amazon with a head tax.

I wonder if it's now financially advisable for Amazon to leave Seattle?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

As.i commented on the article, "Oh, throwing lots of money at it? They finally solved homelessness."

My problem is that I'll be the one paying this tax, so yeah, fuck it, might as well start using the Amazon alternatives, now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Seattle hits Amazon with a head tax.

I wonder if it's now financially advisable for Amazon to leave Seattle?
Relative to their 177B in revenue, Amazon's impact of around $11M doesn't seem very large. Microsoft, Starbucks, Safeway, and ~570 businesses impacted as well.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Relative to their 177B in revenue, Amazon's impact of around $11M doesn't seem very large. Microsoft, Starbucks, Safeway, and ~570 businesses impacted as well.
True, but they're certainly not going to pay it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Holy shit! That is a direct attack on Seattle's government. Shots fired! I love it.

People constantly bitch about "evil corporations" and "big brother government", but you rarely hear about the huge problem of local government incompetence and corruption.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Crap they were so close to solving the homeless problem with that money.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Last Christmas, Amazon sold us 12 months of XBox Live.... and gave us a code that only works in Mexico.

The same exact thing just happened to a kid my son knows.

So watch out for that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Shipped and sold by Amazon, or another company?
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Amazon, as I recall. It was full price, so not like we hit a 3rd party for a deal.

The card was in English, too. Possibly a Microsoft fuckup.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher makes it really hard to search "amazon prime"

Prime Day today. I bought 2 of their 4k Fire TV players for $35 each.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Leisher makes it really hard to search "amazon prime"
If you use advanced search you can cut out the Movies forum.

P.S. Holler if you see any awesome deals.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Leisher makes it really hard to search "amazon prime"
If you use advanced search you can cut out the Movies forum.

P.S. Holler if you see any awesome deals.
The Amazon devices are all really good deals at the moment. I guess the real sale doesn't begin until 3pm ET