Fed Up

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by Leisher »

Yay Netflix!

Documentary narrated by Katie Couric about the sugar industry and the food we eat.

Basically, your government and corporations don't hate you, but they care more about money than they do you. Counting calories is bullshit. Sugar is the devil.

I'd be very curious to hear Thib and Catt's thoughts based upon their own weight loss routines.

Worth seeing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by TheCatt »

Sugar is the devil, yes.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by Leisher »

You're allowed 6-9 teaspoons of sugar a day. That's in an acceptable range.

Now go look at the ingredients for any food product in your house. Notice there's no percentage for "percentage of daily value" (or whatever)? Guess why?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by GORDON »

Sugar has a shitload of calories per spoonful, and there is a massive shitload of sugar in a can of soda.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sugar has a shitload of calories per spoonful, and there is a massive shitload of sugar in a can of soda.
Actually, a teaspoon of sugar is only 4 grams, which is 16 calories. So Leisher's range (24 to 36 grams of sugar/day) is 96 to 128 calories of sugar a day. But there are a lot of spoonfuls out there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But there are a lot of spoonfuls out there.
And there's the problem and why there's no percentage. Once food manufacturers started making "healthy" processed foods by removing fat they realized it tasted like shit. Solution? Add sugar.

If those percentages were there for sugar you'd be seeing 100% to 400% and more on many items, including on most of the "healthy" foods.

One of the interesting things they point out is how the body processes sugar. Drink a coke, the sugar overloads the liver, and it converts that sugar directly to fat. Eat an apple and the fiber in the apple slows the digestion process, that allows the liver to process the sugar and it doesn't turn into fat.

Another thing that was interesting is the artificial sweeteners. People think they're being healthy, but your brain is being told there's sugar, so it's trying to process sugar. When it doesn't get that sugar, it wants sugar.

They also do brain scans of people eating sugar and people doing cocaine. Would you be shocked to learn they look the same?
GORDON
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Sugar has a shitload of calories per spoonful, and there is a massive shitload of sugar in a can of soda.
Actually, a teaspoon of sugar is only 4 grams, which is 16 calories. So Leisher's range (24 to 36 grams of sugar/day) is 96 to 128 calories of sugar a day. But there are a lot of spoonfuls out there.
What was I thinking there were 60 calories per spoonful?

Cooking oil, maybe?
GORDON
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: They also do brain scans of people eating sugar and people doing cocaine. Would you be shocked to learn they look the same?
I would not. WHen I am being faithful to the diet, and drink some sugar pop for the first time after a couple weeks, I definitely get buzzed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: What was I thinking there were 60 calories per spoonful?
48 calories per tablespoon full.
Leisher wrote: Another thing that was interesting is the artificial sweeteners.
I quit drinking diet soda 3 months ago. I used to drink a ton of them (Free at work). I honestly can't tell a difference. I sure hope it's doing me some good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:I quit drinking diet soda 3 months ago. I used to drink a ton of them (Free at work). I honestly can't tell a difference. I sure hope it's doing me some good.
It is, but you can't see it. Pop is bad for your bones.

You might snack or crave less as well, but that's stuff you don't notice.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fed Up

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: ou might snack or crave less as well, but that's stuff you don't notice.
Nope.
Malcolm

Fed Up

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: I quit drinking diet soda 3 months ago. I used to drink a ton of them (Free at work). I honestly can't tell a difference. I sure hope it's doing me some good.
I've heard everything from, "Eh, there's no way it's worse than sugar" to "doesn't make a difference."
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."