MLB

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: Tebow got promoted.
From shitty single A to decent single A? Yeah. He's skyrocketing through the ranks.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Tim Tebow hit .222/.311/.340 and made 7 errors in 58 chances as a left fielder. Mets just promoted him from low Single-A to high Single-A.
I'm no baseball fan, but that sounds terrible?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

It is. He shouldn't be promoted.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tebow got promoted.
Well, his first day went well. Now time to slump
Tebow finished the two games 3-for-5 with a homer, two RBIs and a walk. He caught two fly balls while playing left field in the second game.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

Agent who's probably getting a bonus.
July 1 was the agreed-upon payment date between the former All-Star and the Mets when they negotiated a buyout of the $5.9 million remaining on his contract, money they used to sign Mike Hampton. Rather than pay Bonilla outright, the Mets concocted a 25-year, interest-accruing payment plan, which will give Bonilla, now 54, $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 through 2035.

That’s how you turn $5.9 million into $29.8 million.

Bonilla’s representatives wanted the Mets to match the U.S. Prime Rate of interest at the time, which was 8.5 percent, but the sides settled on eight percent. Today’s Prime Rate is 3.5 percent.
Goddamn.
“Bobby’s a very smart person, and he understands the value of income,” Dennis Gilbert, Bonilla’s former agent, told the Wall Street Journal in 2010. Gilbert negotiated a similar long-term payment plan for Brett Saberhagen, who's getting $250,000 a year from the Mets through 2029.

Bonilla is making more from the Mets this season than the likes of Noah Syndergaard, Zach Wheeler, Steven Matz and Michael Conforto.
Double goddamn. Brett hasn't played for NYM since '95.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

Steve Bartman caught a World Series ring.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

Damn. Don Baylor and Darren Daulton died in the past two days.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Article about the longest play in baseball history.

It perfectly sums up baseball too. 2 minutes, 38 seconds, and nothing happened.
Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: Article about the longest play in baseball history.

It perfectly sums up baseball too. 2 minutes, 38 seconds, and nothing happened.
Last I checked, that's 2 minutes and 37 more seconds of action than all of golf's most exciting moments played back to back. The last time swinging a golf club was interesting was when Tiger's wife went Walter from The Big Lebowski on his car.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Sorry, but there's no comeback to having a play last 2 minutes 38 seconds and have nothing happen.

You might as well be screaming "Get off my lawn!"
Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

Fully half of the MLB divs this year are looking like runaways.

AL West:
Houston, 1st
Seattle, 2nd at 13 games back
Oakland, 5th at 21.5 games back

NL East:
Washington, 1st
Miami, 2nd at 13 games back
Philly, 5th at a staggering 30 games back and the worst record in all of baseball

NL West, which looks like it'll be fielding 3/5 postseason teams in the NL:
LA Dodgers, 1st with an XBox-like #1 winning percentage in all of baseball at .717 (91-36)
Arizona, 2nd at 20.5 games back (14 above .500), currently #1 wildcard
Colorado, 3rd at 22 games back (11 above .500), currently #2 wildcard
Padres, 4th at 34.5 games back
Frisco, 5th at a testicle-shrinking 41 games back, the only team in baseball already eliminated from playoff contention as of tonight (Padres are 1 game away).

For fun, here's some salary info on those divs. I like how Houston's the only team that didn't buy their division.

AL West:
Houston ... #16 at $141,354,259 ... coming in below league average but also 28 games over .500
Seattle ... #12 at $168,913,629 ... doing slightly better than LA
LA Angels ... #11 at $172,886,617 ... at least they're not Texas
Texas ... #8 at $184,471,352 ... fucking ouch, they're treading water at .500
Oakland ... #29 at $85,314,614 ... been a long time since Moneyball

NL East:
Washington ... #7 at $187,474,665 ... like other things in life, it still counts if you pay
Miami ... #21 at $117,285,760 ... punching above their salary rate
Atlanta ... #23 at $113,875,549 ... still higher than they have a right to be
Mets ... #14 at $154,797,316 ... an embarrassing 16 games below .500
Philly ... #22 at $114,682,570 ... fucking awful, even at this crappy salary rank

NL West:
LA Dodgers ... #1 at $259,863,247 ... including over $93M on the disabled list
Arizona ... #20 at $117,928,733 ... pretty much locked in for a playoff spot
Colorado ... #17 at $137,793,810 ... not bad considering the joke this team used to be
San Diego ... #28 at $90,565,566 ... doesn't matter if they finish before or after SF because they spent way, way less
Frisco ... #-motherfucking-6 at an unreal $188,239,679 ... including the fourth highest 25-man payroll

AL Wildcard (so far):
#1 wilcard: Yankees ... #2 at $223,278,261 ... including the highest 25-man payroll in MLB at $142,798,206
#2 wilcard: Minnesota ... #19 at $137,739,387 ... problem is we're only a half game up on the closest of the other nine fucking teams who are within 5 games or fewer
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Do all NE teams cheat?

According to the Sox, they did and so do the Yankees.
Malcolm

MLB

Post by Malcolm »

I never understood how stealing signs was illegal. Why penalize the other team when your encryption methods suck?
Stranger

MLB

Post by Stranger »

Cool story about the red hot streaking Cleveland Indians

Back in July a Cleveland based window company was running a promotion for their 15th year in business. If you ordered any window, siding or roofing job to be done on your house and the Indians win 15 games in a row at any point the rest of the year, you get the job done for free!

This is interesting because the Indians won 14 in a row last June and then had a 9 game win streak at the end of July. Well.. guess what! The Indians have won 14 in a row and have maybe the best pitcher in baseball Cory Kluber on the mound tonight against the woefully awful Chi Sox tonight.
Universal Windows Direct, an Indians partner, wanted to celebrate its 15th anniversary and the Tribe with a unique promotion playing off last year’s streak and the unlikely event it would happen again this year: Anyone who in July hired Universal for a project would have their project paid for by the company if the Indians won 15 straight games this season.
Well: You may have heard we’ve won 14 in a row. And around 250 customers are in line for free windows, siding or roofing if we win one more game. (The largest project was around $30,000.)
I've heard the owners of UWD on the radio and they said they took out an insurance policy on this in the unlikely event that it does happen. He said, "Hell, we've already paid the insurance premium on it, we hope everyone gets their jobs for free."

How cool would it be to watch the Indians game tonight if you bought a project from them in July?!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »