Closest call EVER

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

So we make our ways out to 0.0 land. I'm anxious to try out the new Raven against other NPC battleships. So, I slop some stuff on and head out.

I'm in a belt when some dude shows up on local. Then some other dude named IG88. Just have one can left to loot and then I can move on. So I keep an eye out. As I approach the can, the first dude warps in. Tiny little ship signature. He's in a frigate. He targets me!! I had been lined up and start the warp. I get the message that he's scrambling me, but I warp out anyway.

My first though is, what the hell is a frigate (elite type by the way) doing attacking a BS? But then I figure, if he is, he knows what he's doing. Can an elite frigate take on a BS? I dunno. But without a PvP load and only about 75% of a ratting load, I'm not in a mood to find out. While I'm thinking all this, I'm picking the nearest thing I'm lined up to and starting another warp. Same thing, he hops over to me (had to have an MWD loaded cause he was FAST) and locks and scrambles. I still warp out. No idea why, I have no WCS loaded. Third time's a charm. He warps in right behind me, locks and scrambles. My big slow BS never had time to properly line up with anything safe AND warp out. His friend IG88 comes in, ALSO in an elite frigate. They drain me, scramble me, and open fire. I lock back and contemplate my next move. Well, no choice but to at least put up a fight. I pick IG88 and open fire. My torps are doing damage, but nothing to write home (or here) about. I launch my 4 hammerhead drones and order them to attack him. After all the warping I was doing, and having just healed my shields from the ratting I had done, I was low on cap. They drained it quick and my resist started shutting down. I couldn't run my shield booster.

I'm telling Tas about what's going on and he's asking if he could help. With the way I was going down, he wouldn't have time. Then they'd be on him, etc. However, I then notice that they took me down to about 30% shields very quickly, then stopped. They really weren't doing much damage. They were hitting my drones at this point. So I accept Tas's offer and he starts on his way. I tell him what the ships are and he heads to the station to load the proper jammers. Then IG88 leaves. My drones and torps chased him away!! I start hitting the other guy. But at this point, my drones are dead and my torps are slllooowwwly doing damage to him. Tas is doing who knows what, but not showing up. :-) I tell him to bring a warp scrambler, and we could kill the guy. Soon after, as expected, IG88 showed back up. Fully healed and hitting me with missles again. Hear comes the damage again. Also about this time, I notice my cap is coming back. I'm able to turn my resist back on. But, they are doing damage quick. They start eating away my armor. Tas says he's on his way, but he's taking forever!!! At 20% armor, I tell him. Soon after, they are hitting my hull. Plan is for Tas to come in, jam them and I escape. It's gonna be DAAAAAMMMMMN close, but, I'm not gonna give up. Well, give up hoping. There really wasn't much I could do at this point. As Tas shows up, they are eating away at the last few points of my hull. He gets a lock on both of them and jams them both quickly. I'm at like 10% hull and their drones are still hitting me. I start my warp, but it's taking my ship a year and a half to turn. I hit my quick dock mark so I could hide, instead of continue running. So I'm turning, and turning, and turning. Then, at about 5% hull, they both fly away. HURRAY!!!! But I've still got drones on me. And I'm turning, and turning. FINALLY, I warp and head to the station. I dock with about 5% hull left.

Repair bill was 11.5 million. Luckily, I had looted a med armor repair and a med hull repair. I healed enough to get the repair bill to 4.8 million. Hull heals ssllloooowwww.

So, watch out for the bad guys. Battleships are too slow to mess around with. Even though I was lined up to warp, and did. He was able to instantly follow me and catch me. Be loaded to fight, or. . . I guess don't rat!

Newb mistakes:

1. I had put 3 WCSs in my low slots for the trip out. Forgot to pack the BCSs that had been there. So, in 0.0, I have no BCS. However, my dumb ass had taken the WCSs out of the lows to make room for the BCSs, found they weren't there, but didn't put the WCSs back. So, I had three low slots that could have made the whole encounter a lot less stressful.

2. I typed in local that I was being attacked, instead of corp. Tas was in a different system. Went so far as to announce that I was gonna die because the early damage they did to me was quite heavy. Then I started using corp, and things worked out better.

3. Just cause I can only use 4 drones, doesn't mean I shouldn't pack 7. 3 more drones would have bought me even more time.

Over all, I was watching local and stuff. But, my ship wasn't loaded even close to correctly. . . for ANYthing. And, I over estimated the escapability of the BS. The BS is too slow to escape. Either be ready to fight, or don't be there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

FYI - I've been making "safe" bookmarks in every 0.0 system I visit. Whenever warping between gates, I make a bookmark, so that I can warp somewhere without being followed.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Those assault ships are a BITCH to kill. You can pump their resists up to ungodly levels.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Here's me, a system away, ratting away when Taran types.

I'm Dead
They Got me

I was like... huh?

15 seconds later, he then tells me he isn't dead... but under attack.. hehe

Then I run off back to our station as fast as I can.

Fastest pvp equip EVER, and make it there with taran at like 3 red bars, crazy.

Give or take 5 seconds and he woulda popped, timing is everything!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Lesson for next time: Ask for help first, then abort if you really are dying, instead of saying you're dead first.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

The fact that half the messages were in local, and half were in corp explains why the messages were so mixed.

With the way they were doing damage, I figured it was going to only be a matter of a minute or so before I'd be dead. I didn't think he'd even have time to jump systems to help, let alone re-equip. So, rather than call him into danger, I was going to bite it. Then when the first one left, all hope was renewed cause the one that was left there was doing NO damage to me. So, early indications said that I was a dead man and there was nothing I could do. But then things changed quickly and I changed my request.

I guess I do need to ask for help, but keep the person informed of the situation constantly, instead of assuming stuff. Cause even though he wouldn't have been able to jam them early on, he would have been able to hit one, my drones and his would have been there, etc. We probably could have chased them away. They were only frigates for cryin' out loud! I just didn't want to make the situation worse by bringing more people in to die. Fell out of the PvP loop, inexperience with my Raven, etc led to me jumping to conclusions and not thinking things out properly.

Oh, and keep all messages in corp helps get the whole message across better!
Troy

Post by Troy »

Hey do you have a dmg controls on the Raven?

I was just thinking how the 50+% hull resistance bonus is a bigger deal on the battleships, as they have like 3-4k worth of hulls armor.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Btw, get drones 5 so you can get drone interfacing.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I did have a pretty good damage control on board. It was active for most of the battle. They were draining me to 0 for a while.