40 aint no joke - General fitness thread

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I am 36% to my "Swim 100 Miles in 2017" goal, when I should be about 28% of the way there by now, so that's going well.... but like you, 25 pounds lighter and I'd be killing it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yesterday I biked 66 miles.

Today, I did a 14 miles (virtual) bike race, and went as hard as I could. I set 15 PRs, and managed to hold 291 watts for 20 minutes of the 34 minute race (Averaged 283 watts for the whole 34).

Beat my previous 20-minute best by 18 watts. BOOM
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Biked 106.5 miles today, my first century ever. About 17.5 mph (6:04:13 moving time)... An hour of stoppage time (snack areas, etc)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

THAT'S ALLOTTA MILES.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

My back hurts. Legs are tired. Dont know that I ever need to do it again, at least, not without being in better shape.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Your first thought is, I'm sure, "In the zombie apocalypse I'll be able to ride 100 miles away." But the problem is that there are probably different zombies 100 miles away.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Your first thought is, I'm sure, "In the zombie apocalypse I'll be able to ride 100 miles away." But the problem is that there are probably different zombies 100 miles away.
Depends on how fast the zombie apocalypse spreads, what the transmission methods are, etc.

And my first thought is: I'd probably take the mountain bike, not the road bike.

Although, we biked around a nuclear power plant at one point, so I did think "Could I bike faster than a meltdown would kill me?"

I concluded I would just hang around, and get my super-powers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think a meltdown would be an instant flash of radiation, before the core melted into the ground, so you're prolly fucked., A release of fallout, however... just don't be down wind.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Your teenagers act like lazy soon-to-be retirees.
"Activity levels at the end of adolescence were alarmingly low, and by age 19, they were comparable to 60-year-olds,"
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Unexpected racism in the gym this morning:

SO there's a guy, bigger guy, always has a bandana on his head, he must have a stoma hole because he presses his fingers against it... always under a bandana or turtleneck... so he can speak. Anyway, we always nod at each other... been seeing him there for years... we;ve even chatted when bumping into each other at the grocery store.

Anyway, I have a few gym towels I cycle through, as they get stinky. Today I had the goofy little towel they give you at Medieval Times... it has sort of a german-looking crest, with the colors of the knight of the section I sat in that night (Go red/yellow knight!). Anyway, this stoma guy sees my towel, doesn't see the words "Medieval Times" on it, and asks if I am german. I say half. He must figure I am "one of the fold..." He starts a rant about muslims flooding europe and germany and how it's a travesty and his german grandfather would be rolling over in his grave, and they are all garbage, and they are destroying europe.

I thought it was a lot of information to share with someone he barely knows. I was just nodding along and wishing I could get back to the bench.

And I think I better stop using that towel, I didn't realize the implications.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Did dips, assisted-pull-ups, rows, lat pulldowns, uh, butt bends(?) after 30 minutes of stair climbing today. I can't do much leg-based lifting due to knee issues, but everything else felt good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Unexpected racism in the gym this morning:

SO there's a guy, bigger guy, always has a bandana on his head, he must have a stoma hole because he presses his fingers against it... always under a bandana or turtleneck... so he can speak. Anyway, we always nod at each other... been seeing him there for years... we;ve even chatted when bumping into each other at the grocery store.

Anyway, I have a few gym towels I cycle through, as they get stinky. Today I had the goofy little towel they give you at Medieval Times... it has sort of a german-looking crest, with the colors of the knight of the section I sat in that night (Go red/yellow knight!). Anyway, this stoma guy sees my towel, doesn't see the words "Medieval Times" on it, and asks if I am german. I say half. He must figure I am "one of the fold..." He starts a rant about muslims flooding europe and germany and how it's a travesty and his german grandfather would be rolling over in his grave, and they are all garbage, and they are destroying europe.

I thought it was a lot of information to share with someone he barely knows. I was just nodding along and wishing I could get back to the bench.

And I think I better stop using that towel, I didn't realize the implications.
I love that those conversations always happen at the worst times.
TheCatt wrote: I can't do much leg-based lifting due to knee issues
Weird. I can't do much because I'm too tired from work, school, and chasing after three kids.

My wife just started working out daily again though, so instead of just eating right I might have to start breaking a sweat again.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis as a kid in my left knee, had to have it braced for a while, was on massive doses of ibuprofen, etc.

At 19 I had my first signs of synovitis, which has plagued me since. I've had 3 surgeries on it. I have mild osteoarthritis, but not bad. The orthropaedist thinks I have rheumatoid arthritis. The inflammation is in the same knee I had JRA in. So I go to a rheumatologist every year, and he tells me I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but to keep taking anti-inflammatories.

So any heavy lifting (squats, lunges, etc) means a week or two of pain in my knee, minimum.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I've fallen off the rails.

Decided to try and get back doing push-ups + pull-ups 3 days a week for now. Going to go back to keto soon. Trip next week, Redskins game weekend next. Maybe after that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Up to about 215, stress eating. Trying.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Up to about 215, stress eating. Trying.
Same.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Gained 20 pounds over the last few months, stress eating.

I'm done with that.

Looking to lose 25 by April 1.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Same.
TheCatt
Site Admin