Brewing beer in a garage with Malcolm

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Brewing beer in a garage with Malcolm

Post by GORDON »

Nope, if you lagered at cold temps (or whatever) then that part is done, just let it sit at room temp and carbonate at 70-75 degrees, or close to it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Old Man River let it ferment in his basement stairwell, so it's got two weeks of slightly cooler than room temp under the belt. I doubt it's been chilled.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just let my ales ferment in the basement at 65-72 degrees (depending on the season), and carbonate at the same temps. Should be fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Got the date set for brewing the cheapo American Wheat kit and the Apple Ale next.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I made a wheat beer once, probably the second worst tasting batch I've made. Just didn't care for the taste.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Started an apple ale and American style stout tonight. Operation went more smoothly since old man river took a more managerial and less hands-on role. Remarkably, the two beers I thought were flops before -- liberty cream and autumn amber -- he had a few bottles in his fridge. Nothing else to drink so I cracked one. It was worlds better than the liquid ass I remember uncapping.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Old dude says he'll spike the apple ale with a gallon preservative-free apple cider in a couple days.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Bottling day is Monday or Tuesday. No word if the cider was actually added.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:Bottling day is Monday or Tuesday. No word if the cider was actually added.
Word was received, cider was not added. Goddamnit. American stout is bottled, now carbonating. The apple ale (which clearly says "five weeks until ready" on the fucking kit) wasn't ready after two weeks, surprise surprise. Still fermenting away, going to check on it weekly.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Stout has been chilled and is ready for consumption. Turned out a fuckload better than any previous kit or recipe. The aftertaste is a little bit sour, and I expect something smoother and more chocolate from a stout as far as malts go. I'm electing to let the apple ale carbonate for 3 weeks since it took 3 weeks to ferment. Won't be ready until after the new year.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Started two brews that'll be two weeks old in the fermenter as of tomorrow. Boring kinds. Cream ale and American wheat, I think. It'll have another week to work as the old dude is out of town.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Haven't had time to harvest beer. My buddy coordinates with Old Man Winter, who's been out of town. Anyhow, my buddy goes on an icefishing trip last weekend and loses his goddamned cellphone down the hole. Two hours later, one of the guys with him pulls the thing out of the water thinking it's a fish. Word is we're bottling on Monday.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Beer was harvested Monday. Two weeks of carbonation.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Next two batches are picked out.

#1 Lefse Belgian Blonde Ale

#2 I had the clerk jury-rig another apple ale. This one will be cider-flavoured, no extract.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Batches are being brewed today.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Going to put each through secondary fermentation this time. Adding the cider and juice in between primary and secondary.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

One week into carbonation of the March 20th batches. One more to go. Thinking I'm going for a 2-3 month Belgian trip or quad next time. Something with balls. Maybe time it for October. Guess that means one more 4-6 week quickie job.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Belgian blonde and new variety of apple ale are drinkable. Blonde is a saison up front with a pilsner aftertaste. Apple ale is awesome. Cider beats extract for flavour. 8.2% to boot.