Neighbors 2

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Neighbors 2

Post by TheCatt »

I thought we had a thread for the first movie? Couldn't find it.

Neighbors 2
A new movie out this weekend packs a lot into its 91-minute running time: Zac Efron gyrating in booty shorts, idiotic use of car airbags and several scenes of a child playing with a sex toy. Also in the mix: feminism, gay rights and Black Lives Matter.

“Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising” is a frat-house comedy for the thinkpiece era. The sequel to the 2014 hit throws unexpected social and political commentary into the most unlikely of genres — one typically home to popped-collar prep boys and their vapid female disciples.

In “Neighbors 2,” women start a sorority so they can throw ragers like the guys. A main character featured in the original as a ladies’ man comes out as gay and is engaged to his boyfriend within the first 20 minutes. And nearly every political issue of the last couple years — from race relations with police departments to Donald Trump — is name-checked throughout the film.
Hmmmm...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Re: Neighbors 2

Post by Malcolm »

I saw one review gushing. The others say "average."
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

A main character featured in the original as a ladies’ man comes out as gay and is engaged to his boyfriend within the first 20 minutes.
Is this part of someone's gay agenda or someone with an axe to grind against the jocks in their high school?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Watched it with the wife last night. It doesn't compare to the original at all, but there are some good laughs.
“Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising” is a frat-house comedy for the thinkpiece era.
Uh, no.
Black Lives Matter
I must have missed that. One black guy in the film and it was a bit role. I think he was in three scenes total equaling about 45 seconds screen time. One black girl and she never said anything about it. Oh shit, there was another black guy who had an even smaller role. I think he had one line.
gay rights
One gay guy proposed to another. They imply there's a wedding at the end. They do so while making a joke at the expense of gay men implying they're shallow. So...gay rights?
feminism
Finally, some truth. The whole plot revolves around some bullshit about sororities not being allowed to throw parties. Who knew? All those girls who say sororities are filled with mindless drones looking for husbands so they can be trophy wives are onto something.

The film takes it a step farther by calling out frat parties for what they are: attempts to get laid. They do so in a non even remotely subtle way, which adds to the comedy.

If the film had a hidden message or commentary, this was it, and it was well done.

That being said, if there were others messages they either sucked or I got mixed messages like: Are all parents horrible? This movie thinks so.
from race relations with police departments to Donald Trump
I never saw the race relations thing addressed. Hell, I never saw a cop in the whole movie. Maybe this was cut fro the theatrical release? And maybe Trump was mentioned? I remember the words "Future President Hillary Clinton" being said in the movie.

Overall, despite the laughs, this film doesn't capture the magic of the first film. It's very meh.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I also watched this last week.

Yeah, I dont recall any BLM stuff.

It's mediocre, but watchableish. I was on a plane.
It's not me, it's someone else.